Maya Longe and Erin Thomas find how the smaller experiences make for both annoyance and pleasure.

If I am going to be completely honest, I was more nervous than excited to go on the relief trip. This being my first year I wasn’t sure if I was going to enjoy myself. After being here for less than 24 hours, I can tell you my opinion changed fast.

The bus ride was surprisingly entertaining and fun. I mean the ride was as fun as a bus with 50 plus people for 20 hours can be. I was lucky enough to have my sister going on this trip with me. This meant I had someone to sit next to who won’t get made at me for taking up all the room or snoring.

Day one was again so much better than I thought it was going to be. All of the meals were great, especially dinner. I didn’t know that it was possible for the group to consume so much garlic bread. I enjoyed working, It felt good helping people. Knowing that my work and effort would impact everyone so much, it made it easier to keep going.

I can’t wait for the rest of the trip. I’m excited for all of the new people I’m going to meet and all of the amazing memories I’m going to make. It’s only day one for me but I definitely recommend this trip for anyone who wants to make a difference.

Maya Longe


The bus ride here was good. I tried to sleep but I couldn’t I don’t know why but I can never sleep in buses.There was a lot of people singing and playing heads up but what i liked the most was the movies we watched: The Tooth Fairy and Spirit. After we got dinner everyone started to calm down except for the people in the back of the bus that just kept singing. Even though the bus was like a sauna for half of the drive it was pretty fun.

Day one was eventful. I helped with getting breakfast ready and already got a blister before we even started working. After we ate and made lunches and had our meeting of the morning we got on the bus and went to the work site. I had a really good time there. I got to use a power saw to cut up some branches. Then we started raking. The home owner of one the houses came and helped us rake.

After a little while we had a little run in with some bulldog fire ants. I then moved over to the other house we were working on and started raking. I got a little done and before we left I raked a pile into the shape of a heart next to where the lady’s door was.

I can’t wait for tomorrow.I can’t wait for th e rest of the trip, especially the alligator farm on Friday. I would definitely do this again. I would recommend this trip to anyone.

Erin Thomas