|To write true memories from your life to discover some significance personally or for others|
Class → Talks on topics; but larger audiences, too. As you decide upon an audience outside of class, consider the form/platform/language choices you will adopt.
Multiple audiences = multiple forms/approaches = possible additional Standards hit
Written aspect will form a class book; artwork or other forms possible; Private Option keeps it from publication
Possible formats include: Video, Paper, Podcast, Artwork, Graphic Novel, Letter, Creative Wrtg, Photographic Essay
|All four ELA 11 rubrics will be used => Four different scores/grades and a holistic final score will be given|
|If you wish to make changes to these directions, check with Mr. Chisnell first.|
To be successful on the rubrics of Form and Organization, Evidence and Support, Analysis and Commentary, and Control of Language, here are a few things to consider:
- Text is likely the best approach, whether written or oral. Photographic essays and artwork are good choices if you are inclined, but they will likely not be able to exist without text.
- A typed version of the text will be necessary for inclusion in the class book. That will also include a Title and MLA format for labeling essays. (We may make entries in the book itself anonymous, though!)
- Keep the camera lens on your life/memories small, like a zoomed in effect. The larger and more general your topic, the less successful you will be.
- Think about your language choices, selection of details, and the meaning of those details as you write. What must be included and where will audiences outside of your memory need more detail?
- Word counts and lengths below are guidelines. Please do not waste your time counting words and worrying that you’re 50 words under or 200 over.
Some length guidelines:
|Written memoir, essay or story||750-1250 words is a good range for the size of this project (3-5 pages MLA format, 2x-spaced)|
|Podcast / Video recording||Unless you are adding dramatized scenes or animation, 6-10 minutes|
|Poetry, song, or similar||Single-spaced format; 60-100 lines. May be multiple poems. Song performances perhaps 3-4 minutes|
|Artwork or photographs||Imagine a gallery or sequence that reveals the memory, perhaps of 15-20 images photographed or 1/2 this if drawn|
|Mixed of the above||Use your best judgment here, but feel free to insert images into text, add text to artwork, etc. Communicate your truth.|
|Sept 28||Topic Chosen||GoogleForm||10 pts|
|October 2||Format and Challenges Considered||GoogleForm||15 pts|
|October 6||Outline Check||Canvas||25 pts|
|Oct 8||Partial Draft to Canvas Workshop for comments||Canvas||150 pts on Moodle Level 1B|
|Oct 13||Eli Review Closes|
|Oct 20||Workshops of Rough Drafts||Canvas||50 pts|
|Full Rough Draft Complete||Canvas||100 pts|
|Oct. 29||Final Draft Complete||Canvas||400 pts|
Still to Come
- Producing Our Book
- Issues Talks
Our Class Book
Leadership Roles (Creative Work Standard)
Details on how to format and submit your chapter to our book will follow.
- Editors will meet in class periodically to create the expectations for the publication.