Our Optional Closure Reading!
Together the ELA 11 teachers are reading some books and talking about them, even producing responses. Join us!
Choose the Ray Bradbury novel. Fahrenheit 451, or The Autobiography of Malcolm X. Each of these will receive support from the ELA11 team of teachers: videos, online conferences, support notes and provocations, and SAT practice exercises. Or choose your own book to read and produce a project on.
Why Bradbury's 451?
451 Reactions - Part One
TED Talks Answer: Why Read?
Bradbury Predicted Fake News
Why Malcolm X?
From Turkish Broadcasting
Reaction - Chs 1-3
Choose a Book:
- Choose Fahrenheit 451 or Autobiography of Malcolm X or your own choice
- If your own choice, try out our Just the Right Book Test
- When you’ve chosen, let us know!
- Keep a Literary Log, if it helps keep you honest!
- Watch our videos, read our support handouts, etc. (above)
- Try our the Forums or Practice SAT Questions on the readings on Moodle (5b)
- Post your reactions on our FlipGrid board: roela11
- Share ideas and comments on social media: #roreads, #roela11
- Join us for our Office Hours!
- Mondays, 10 am – 11 am
- Wednesdays, 1 pm – 2 pm
- Fridays, 10 am – 11 am
Finished? Try a Project!
- Here is a handout for it. Projects can be done by hand or with technology. Submit to me by Moodle or in your Drive Folder or when we return for feedback.
- As a writer, create a fictional interview with a character from the book.
- Create a book trailer (approx. three minutes). The website https://www.digitalbooktalk.net/ has many examples you can use for inspiration.
- Write a traditional analysis. What is the book saying about people or the world? What themes does it argue for?
- Create a comic strip or a storyboard for the events in the story. OR Create a children’s story.
- Reader’s Choice If none of these projects is a good fit for you, you may propose a project that uses your unique talents to demonstrate your understanding of the book that you read. If your teacher approves your written proposal, you may do it instead of choosing one of the options on this handout.
Due: As you work through the closure, different dates recommended
Recommended Pieces: Reading Logs, SAT Practices, Sharing Reactions on FlipGrid, Reading Projects
Examples of Approaches (to follow):