Notifications
Clear all

The Governess

Page 5 / 5

ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@octavia not only has she convinced herself, but everyone else that surrounds her in the book. She makes it very apparent in the start of the book on what her job is. When it comes to your idea of the false reality of the ghosts, do you think this has to do with her mental state? 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 not directed at me but absolutely.  She has something going on this much is true, but we don't know for sure what it is.  All we know is she is distracting herself from the fact that something is going on, she does this for herself and everyone else in the story.  She is afraid to let people see if there is a problem.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 - I like that you brought this point up again. The book is so biased because it is only from her point of view. This allows is to question really every event in the novel as I think we can all agree she has some psychological issues making her account possibly less valid. It is for this reason that I believe the ghosts not to be real. We only see her point of view, so how can we be sure.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 I like the idea of understanding the children's an other charac†er's experiences rom their perspective. Growing up, I always enjoyed reading multiple perspective books because I always found it so interesting how every person has their own side to the story, and their own struggles they are experiencing. It would be super interesting to experience the characters from Turn of the screw in this way because I think it would give a lot of insight into the governess and the way she is truly perceived by those around her. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I agree, but that would probably take a lot of the book away. A big part of the intrigue for me was that odd shift from "the ghosts are real" to "the governess is crazy" as time progressed. The intentional vagueness really suits the whole mood the book is going for, and really does the character of the governess 'justice'. However, the multiple perspectives idea got me thinking about perhaps seeing the book through the eyes of one of the ghosts, which would technically still be from the governess' point of view, but in a much stranger and I think more interesting way.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking