Notifications
Clear all

The End

Page 3 / 3

xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Miles's unknown reason for getting kicked out of school almost acts as an underlying suspicion for the reader. Miles is presented us to this seemingly perfect child with admirable traits, but this secret blocks that perception from staying true in our minds. I think that's why we tend to look for falsities in his story, or even in his character. We're trying to catch him in the act. Furthermore, I think that alters how we view his supposed "death". 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

The death in itself is hard to address as it's so open-ended. Personally, I believe he did die in the end. The governess aimed to free him from torment, freeing him from the nightmarish reality that she's faced. "Freeing him" sounds an awful lot like killing him in order to lay him to rest, the governess most likely viewing it as an act of peace. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio I totally agree. If we didn't perceive him as this perfect angel throughout the book, we'd probably have very different perceptions of his death. The end of this book is very conflicting, because the reader is left confused with no closure regarding what really happens to Miles. Is it the fault of the governess? We may never know.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Honestly I originally thought Miles was expelled due to foul language, what with Flora describing the governess with bad words I figured Miles had probably taught them to her. With more thought though, Isn't expulsion a pretty hefty punishment for something so small? I mean, I hear kids curse all the time so I feel expelling him for that is a little over the top. That being said it is still possible...

As far as Miles death, I was so confused as well. I originally thought it was a heart attack but after reading through the responses I'm not even sure anymore haha. 

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

@jacksonvon

I had this theory as well! It would make sense for the governess to cause psychological harm towards miles. I like the thought of it also a spiritual exorcism as well. Considering how back in the day evil spirits were more 'well known' in a sense. Although, I disagree that there isn't a need to separate the spirit from the psychological aspect of the mind. Although both make sure the mind and soul, they should be taken into consideration when looking at a person. Without someone's spirit, a person would not have their religious nature, their thought, beliefs, and morals.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think that expulsion is definitely an extremely severe punishment for swearing! This leads me to believe that Miles did something else at school that resulted in his punishment. We've read the way Miles acts at home and that he's a little bit "off", considering his behavior towards the governess and others around him. Who's to say that he didn't do something like that at school? I personally believe that this was the reason he got expelled. What it was I am unsure of, but I don't think this would've been such a relevant part of the story if the act wasn't a bit more severe.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking