Notifications
Clear all

Tone or Interpretation?

Page 4 / 4

octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine I agree with you here. Though everyone's own interpretation can be valid, the context which leads you to the author's interpretation is important for understanding a piece. It again raises the question of which interpretation is right, which is interesting.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@leinweber I like the idea on how you compared the poem to a chem experiment. Though this forum is pretty old I still like the whole idea behind it. Your interpretation from the text is different from all the others that I have seen so far and to me I like that. I agree when you claimed the idea of watching your work being undone and using the text "that's neat." Because really that particular situation could be looked at in multiple ways. To add on I think that the exhaustion with doing any said chem lab and the time you spend just for it to fail helps describe the author's true meaning of the poem, creating a sense that the author is just exhausted with it all and doesn't seem to care because she's spent so much time doing all this for what. Nothing in the emotion of the text.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@aaparrot I like how you mentioned that poems are made to tug at emotions. I feel like stories can tug at emotions as well, but poems are short and concise, allowing your interpretation and emotion to be closely considered. Shorter statements have always been more impactful in my opinion, because they don't give you much room to think. They get to the point and allow you to see what the poet is trying to say. But at the same time, deeper meaning can sometimes be harder to find. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking