Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forum check complete for 10/23/20. 

At this point, you should have ~35 total posts for 100%. Remember that you can post up to 8x/week for up to 150% per week, if you need to catch up! On MiStar and elsewhere, know that any points beyond 105% total will be reduced to 105% (District limit on extra-credit!)

Forum Credits (these do roll over to MP2):

• 3+ credits: Nicole, octavia, persephone, xwing37
  • 2 credits: abuzz, ahayo, aplitstudent, bunkymoo, Carla Tortelli, MangoMan, savhoisington, SnowyYeti, username27, Delphine
  • 1 credit: AnonymousParrot, stella, Jackson Von Habsburg, A2MOEOM2
Maintenance Points:
  1. The first few times you write, your post may be kept in moderation for my review. After that, posts should publish immediately. I just want to be sure who is posting and the substantive value of the post for people new to the forums!
  2. All posts should now be visible on all AP Lit boards. You should be able to post without problems (if you have a working chisnell.com username!). If this is not the case, please write mesteven.chisnell@royaloakschools.org
  3.  Remember that you must be logged in to post! If you do not see your chisnell.com username in the upper right of the page, you are not logged in and your "anonymous" post will not be approved. Are you one of the people who did not get a post approved? Maybe this was the reason. Contact me!
Tone or Interpretat...

Notifications
Clear all

Tone or Interpretation?  

Page 3 / 4
  RSS

Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 6:17 pm  

@carlatortelli Most of the interpretation for poetry is up to the reader. If they wanted to guide us more clearly, they would've written a book. Poems are used to tug at emotions and essentially are a literary puzzle. We only have several lines to go off of and that's it. Therefore, it is up to the reader to reach a conclusion. The poet hides the clues, the reader goes and finds them. 

ReplyQuote
Sienna Muscat
(@siennamuscat742)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 9:35 pm  

The tone has a huge difference in the way literature is interpreted. Within the poem 'Cut' we heard how much contrast can happen when the tone is changed. Changing the tone in 'Cut' to a psychotic tone, we saw how much creepier the poem came. We also learned how background knowledge can impact our interpretation. Before reading Flatland, I researched the author, learned what he studied, what time period it was written in, etc. After doing that, I can a greater understanding of him, and why there were so many math references.     

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 9:59 pm  

@siennamuscat742 Totally agree with all of your points. Having context can give us a much better insight into what our author wants us to get at. However, punctuation can give us a clue as to what tone is the "correct" one. There is no exclamation point throughout "Cut" which would negate the "psychotic" tone Chisnell attempted to read to us. Flatland definitely benefits once you understand who and what Abbott is as Flatland covers several topics that he has a strong belief in. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
September 29, 2020 7:02 pm  

@stella I agree with this. Searching too hard for "hidden meanings" can tamper with the analyzing of the piece. If the reader is too focused on finding a secret meaning in the piece, they are likely to miss out on the details of the author's intended main idea. It can be a little toxic to adorn them with that name.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 2, 2020 12:04 pm  

@delphine exactly what I was getting at, I agree with a lot of the responses I see but there is a sturdy middle ground I feel like a lot of us readers fail to find.  We either get caught up with conspiracy or we are too closed minded to see any other meaning.  I think each story has it's fair share of both and these elements must be balanced in a book.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 2, 2020 11:15 pm  

@delphine that's a great way of looking at it, and I feel the same way. If we are trying too hard to find something that isn't really there, then what is the point of searching? When we read a poem, for example, the meaning could be right there in the words, but we could skip right over it just because of the way we are interpreting the text. I think sometimes it is appropriate to come up with your own interpretation, but you should understand the authors first, so you can get a better context of what is going on in the story.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 2, 2020 11:48 pm  

@delphine I agree. It's important to find the hidden meaning in poems, but when it goes too far and distracts you from the true meaning of the poem then it is useless. I notice that when I over analyze poems I am more confused than I was from the start of the poem. 

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 2, 2020 11:51 pm  

Tone is a huge deal in all literature. It is an additional component that can add value and meaning to a piece of work. By recognizing tone you can acknowledge an author's feelings towards the topics they are discussing and any argument they are making. Additionally, tone is something that makes an author unique to their own work and provides a similarity amongst their various pieces of work. Finally, tone can help find a hidden meaning but not always. There can always be a hidden meaning to a piece of literature but the readers play the role of interpreting what it is to them. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 5, 2020 9:17 am  

@bunkymoo Yes! Relating back to historicism, context is so so important when reading. Like I said earlier, it is beneficial to create your own interpretations, but you must have some context to the way the author wishes you to interpret first.

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 6, 2020 8:11 pm  

As I consider the impact that tone has on interpretation in terms of poetry, it is clear to me that poetry is just like "normal" (for lack of a better adjective) literature. As we know from previous forums, readers can interpret literature in many ways. When we read the children's book, we searched for hidden metaphors and messages. We can do the same thing when applying different tones to poetry. With the poem "Cut" that we read in class, a shift in tone turned the poem from relaxed and nonchalant to psychotic and creepy. Different tones can most certainly lead to many different interpretations.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 9, 2020 7:58 pm  

I sometimes wonder how people living in/from different countries interpret the same things we read. Different countries have differing perspectives on things due to the social climate of their environment. If I were to read about a topic that was strongly supported or criticized in the US, I would want to know what other areas in the world interpret the reading in the opposing way. 

ReplyQuote
Sienna Muscat
(@siennamuscat742)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 9, 2020 10:04 pm  

The tone has a huge difference in the way literature is interpreted. Within the poem 'Cut' we heard how much contrast can happen when the tone is changed. Changing the tone in 'Cut' to a psychotic tone, we saw how much creepier the poem came. We also learned how background knowledge can impact our interpretation. Before reading Flatland, I researched the author, learned what he studied, what time period it was written in, etc. After doing that, I can a greater understanding of him, and why there were so many math references. Having context can give us a better insight into what our author wants us to get at. However, punctuation can give us a clue as to what tone is the "correct" one. There is no exclamation point throughout "Cut" which would negate the "psychotic" tone. Flatland definitely benefits once you understand who and what Abbott is as Flatland.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 10, 2020 7:31 pm  

@aaparrot I don't entirely agree with you here. I don't think that poetry is really all that different than prose. It definitely has a different way of presenting information- poetry is more decorated and expressive, playing to the audience's feelings, as you said- but it can lead the reader to an intended meaning just as much as any piece of prose can. Any writer runs the risk of their audience pulling a different meaning from their work than they intended. Just because there is often less words in a poem doesn't mean the intention of the poet is any less important. That doesn't mean that interpretations of a piece of writing that differ from the author or poet aren't important either, but both are important to get the most out of a poem or piece of prose. I agree with what you said that the poet includes clues for the audience to find. The clues hint at the author's intent, and it is up to the reader to find out, "What is he/she saying here? And what do I think of that?" Which, again, is what we do with any piece of writing.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 16, 2020 4:33 pm  

@a2m0n2 I also wonder the same! It's so interesting to think about how someone from a different country interprets a reading compared to someone from another country. This is often present not only in literature but even in songs from what I've seen - it's difficult to translate something directly, so people from another country will end up interpreting something differently than someone else, even if it's just the smallest difference between translations. Furthermore, every single person from that country can also interpret that translation a different way individualized to their own mindset and perspectives, opening up yet another gateway to an almost infinite amount of interpretations!

ReplyQuote
Sienna Muscat
(@siennamuscat742)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 6:01 pm  

Tone plays an important part in literature. Understanding the author's tone can make a huge impact, as we saw in the poem, 'Cut'. Tone further expresses the author's attitude and emotions. It adds a better context to the author's work and provides more value. Acknowledging the author's tone can provide more meaning to the work's theme. Interpretation is also a huge component, without interpreting the author's tone, we would have less context going forward with the reading.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking