Notifications
Clear all

The Groundhog

Page 11 / 11

Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I love this idea. Since we have no idea what our final destination is, that really implores us as a people to live life to the fullest and work as hard as we can to reach whatever inevitable destination were meant to reach, which remains unknown to us of course. But, I think this can also be discouraging in a way. If we have no true "end point", it can be difficult to continue working the hardest that we can and stay motivated. 

ReplyQuote
Gil
 Gil
(@gil)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

I have not looked at this thread since when I read "The Groundhog" in the first semester, I think it's great to see where it has gone! 

@snowyyeti I agree that humans are always so set on having all the answers. We always want there to more and to be able to fix and solve everything. Death ending in nothingness seems so incredibly depressing, but it could be the reality. It's difficult not to get trapped in these ideas, to keep thinking and feeling overwhelmed that everything just ends. However, the mere fact that we actually don't know, and even if it does end in nothing, why dwell on it? I know how it can be easy to get worked up about, but being aware of how easily everything could be taken away from us, gives us more of an appreciation to really take advantage of every moment we have (could I sound more cliche?). I love how @alechayosh07 said that we just have to accept an unfortunate ending and that will make us appreciate what we have more. 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@delphine I can see what you mean by this possibly having a negative effect on motivation. I think you're right. When you have an assignment due for example, you will finish that assignment by it due date because you know that exact day and time is has to be done by. However, in terms of life in general, this same idea no longer applies. There is no "end date" or "finish line" to living because life is so unpredictable. Therefore, it is sometimes difficult to stay focused and motivated when not knowing when the end will come.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, this is a really interesting way to think about it. I've never thought about life in the way of not having a due date but it's completely true. I feel really motivated when doing school work because I know I have to get it done. But in life I could live for 80 years or one day. So no one ever knows when to have urgency in their lives which could be a good or a bad thing. Good point!

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gil I think this is really interesting coming across your point that we have no idea about death right after I watched a video on this subject today! It was about how we have no idea why we are here, the universe implies infinite questions, the bottom of the ocean is still undiscovered, and so much more and that could either damage or help someone. I think that like you say, it can be easy to get caught up in the thoughts of 'nothingness' after death and spiral into feelings of hopelessness. But, It can also be so powerful in encouraging someone to life the life while we have everything compared to the possible nothingness of death. I think it is all like a glass half full or empty type of situation

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington, I think it's important to look at life from an optimistic standpoint. Because at least when you are alive you have control over what happens in your near future. But when we die we have no idea what is going to happen. So I think it's good to live your life the best you can since you ultimately have control over what happens with the majority of things in life. You lose all that control when you die. I think that the idea of the glass half empty or half full is a really good way to put it.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 When looking at the future, I think an optimistic point of view is for sure important. Looking and seeing only the bad things in the future is not only very depressing but is also a bit pointless - it ruins your mood in the present as well as the future, and that's no fun.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine  I completely agree with you on this but I would like to add that I love that we are anonymous.  We can get squirrely with our interpretations or say oddball things and not have to worry about judging us, yanno??  Like yeah people could judge my username but they have no clue who I actually am.  I really appreciate these forums, especially in a class like this where there is too much to learn just in the classroom.  

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@snowyyeti Yes exactly! You touched on something that I missed in my last response which was the reality of literature and how it goes with you as a person. I had recently watched a video that I am blanking on the name of, but to give you a basic summary the was an experiment done on some ELA students where they were all given the same essay to read. It was on a topic similar to death as this poem was, and once they finished reading all of them gave their honest opinions of the work and then their interpretation and how they feel or react towards it. It was very similar to how this forum progressed from the start until where we are now. If I ever find it I will post it here because it is worth the watch.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti That's a great point! Just being able to say what you actually want to without those usual unneeded restrictions we put on ourselves is very cool. I feel like I wouldn't get in the needed amount every week without that anonymous aspect to these forums. It sucks that we usually do have those subconscious restrictions, but we are use to working with them. We can really feel the difference when we answer on here, in comparison with those forums in canvas. Just wanted to second your idea lol. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I agree with you, an optimistic view is a great thing to keep in your back pocket. At the same time I feel like the only way to see life in all perspectives, is with both optimism and pessimism. Optimism is optimal but that pessimism is needed in a way unique to collecting all sides of reality. Half full or half empty I feel as though they both have their own unique pros and cons to how one may view the road ahead. Hopefully this makes some sort of sense, but I do agree with you. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I love that you mentioned that experiment. That's a really interesting and important concept, as I think most people build their opinions off of those of other peoples, subconsciously or not. I love that they built their own interpretations of the piece on their own right after reading it, as the opinions are more raw and personalized to what they truly believe (closer to their real opinion rather than that of one to please others). I think this is something we need to work on when writing our forums. Although it's good to become informed and change our opinions, I also think that it's important to first off build our own before beginning to change them.

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli

I totally get where you're coming from and I feel the same way. I absolutely worry about what I say for fear of someone else's judgement and it often hinders me from responding to forums or voicing my ideas in a class. It's funny because, a lot of us have those same fears yet, we continue to allow them to control what we do and say. 

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine

Agreed. While changing and forming opinions and ideas surrounding those of others is part of learning and growth, it's essential to be able to form and expand on ideas of your own. I like that forums and an environment like this allow for us to do that without fear of judgement or backlash. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@octavia i thought about this for a second and I completely agree. We have so much more information and thoughts to think about than we ever had before just by having these conversations with each other. Reading other forums allows us to have insight maybe we haven't thought of before, which is super cool and unique. Doing this over the course of the year has really made me expand my knowledge so much.

ReplyQuote
Page 11 / 11
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking