Notifications
Clear all

The Groundhog

Page 10 / 11

aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@salmon I like how you mentioned the quote saying that it's about the journey not the destination. This is something that I think is important to live by. Seeing as no one knows what the destination is, we are forced to live our "journey" or life to the fullest. I think the idea of not knowing what our destination is what gives us the drive to be the best we can possibly be.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43, I agree. I feel like death has to be unknown. If people don't know what's going to happen they will live their lives to the fullest and hopefully not have many regrets. But if they knew what was going to happen then life wouldn't be as meaningful. I like the idea of having to live your life the best you can, because you don't know what's going to happen after.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43  This is an interesting thread on this topic and I am all for it.  I think that the idea about death just being nothingness is weird and hard for me to buy into.  I think that I dont want to believe it because it is something that I don't understand.  I think that we, as humans strive to just know and understand everything because we don't like not knowing.  Some believe that religion is just a way of explaining the unknown.  I would not like knowing what was after death though whether that be heaven or hell or otherwise becuase then like some said, I would be stressing all of the time about what I am doing and where I am going to go.  The unknown makes it a bit more fun. 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@snowyyeti Not knowing is a common fear, even to people who won't admit it. I think that idea fits well with the poem and well the entire discussion. I feel as though this forum has moved away from the poem and turned into a discussion about death lol so I'm going to use your idea to try and relate them because I think it might fit well here. When we think about the narrator we have recognized that they are struggling with their concept of death and what that means for them. It might just be so that they are struggling with understanding because the idea is so large hence why they might be not able to cope with it as well. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's possible that the narrator is not able to understand or accept death because of them looking at such a large idea. What if we took death and broke it down, even then it's hard to do that. So does this make it a concept that we just have to understand with no answer?

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I like that you brought the convo back to the actual poem but I think it is so cool to see a months worth of conversation and see where it has gone now.  i agree with what you are saying here though.  I think the narrator is grappling with what death actually is but he just can't.  Like you said in the end, I think that with death we just have to agree to not understand it.  Religion tries to understand it but there is no concrete way of knowing what death really is and there never will be.  

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti, I agree that it's interesting to see where our conversation has come over the last month. I feel like last months conversation was so simple compared to where we are now. I think we have developed a lot of complex ideas and concepts that potentially couldn't have been thought of in the beginning of this forum. We've really explored the unknown aspect of death and the inevitability of it. I feel like we have seen this happen with other forums and it's kind of cool to reflect on the way our conversations have grown.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I would agree with you on this.  I think we have come so far from simply learning to examine ideas in literature to now asking ourselves why this is without questioning the text itself.  It's a very big jump in learning from what we are used to It feels like.  What other ways of thinking do you think we will be introduced to?

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

So I want to come on here and bring up some other things I have pondered after reading these replies. I'm seeing everyone discussing their stress about making something of their lives and "living it all to the fullest" because of this great unknown that we call death. 

Now, again, I'm not trying to force you to live your life this way. I'm merely putting it forward as an idea of life to consider. I just want you to think about it. I'm going to restate something I said earlier and that is that the only point and meaning of life is just to be alive. You mustn't take everything (everything being life) too seriously because that would only ultimately cause you more suffering. The human species suffer because we take so seriously what the Gods (God, Universe, whatever you believe in) created for fun

That's not to say you should go about your existence in a sort of dull "None of it matters so what's the point" attitude because that's rather depressing, and to be honest, and little arrogant. It's only to say that you should not allow yourself to stretch thin and live wound-up over the the idea that it is necessary to lead a life of overwhelming greatness in order to have truly lived.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@salmon I like that saying, and I feel like I live by that saying in a way. I have never been really thinking about the end, it's just something that happens just like you said. The weird part for me is that death can come at any time in your life, and I guess that part is a little scary to me. But at the same time, I don't want to know when I am going to die, because then you wou would have a definite end ahead of you. Its definitely a weird concept to grasp for me.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@xwing37 I also think it is crazy where we have come in this form, especially with the concept of death and the after life. I think it's safe to say that we all could consider ourselves to be the narrator of this poem. When I was reading back into some of the old posts in this section of the forums it is so similar towards the emotions the narrator was feeling. We were creating basic thoughts about death and often discussed how we were scared of this unfortunate future that we all hold. But now just as the narrator did we have accepted it and even related it to being a happy ending. This is super cool to me and I think for me it was super cool to watch this forums ideas progress to where they are now.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I totally agree. One of my favorite things about these forums is seeing how opinions and ideas progress as we learn new information and cover new beautiful pieces of literature throughout the year, each of which slightly alter our ways of thinking, whether we know it or not. It's obvious how much knowledge we've all gleaned throughout the year, especially when going back and rereading a topic that's been active since the beginning. 

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I like that you mentioned that we could all be the narrator of this poem.  That is an interesting point but it makes sense and feeds right into Derrida and his school of thought.  Not to take this forum even farther from just the poem of the Groundhog, but this forum is a great way to understand how everyone interprets literature to fit their own reality and how they view the world.  

ahayo liked
ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman, I feel like one of the main ways of thinking we have already been introduced to is thinking outside of the box. We've been told over and over again to not just look at the surface of a piece of literature and to dig a little deeper. I think this is something that I can see being used in a more complex way on more poems and readings.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine I agree with this as well. It's so interesting to see how we not only learn from the forum prompts themselves, but from each other. I think that's something that hasn't been utilized that well in my other classes, and this class does a great job showing how we can learn from each other.

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia Yes! These forums give us a chance to interact with our peers in a way that at least I haven't experienced to this extent throughout my schooling. I like that we're given a platform to reflect on classroom discussions (since they're still related), but we're open to discuss and respond to whoever we wish without interference from the teacher. Of course I value Mr. Chisnell's opinions and discussion prompts as well, but I think there's something to be said about having a unique discussion just amongst students. 

ReplyQuote
Page 10 / 11
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking