Notifications
Clear all

Romantic Poetry Analysis

chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

I know the assignment has already been completed for most but I'm curious to hear what poems people used for their analysis and their overall thesis. For my Triad, we analyzed Walt Whitman's "Reconciliation" and Wallace Steven's "Of Mere Being". Our thesis centered around the critiques of romantics from the modernists. Essentially, romantics make the case that true greatness lies beyond our comprehension which the modernists found to be quite foolish. From a modernist standpoint, how could you possibly believe in greatness in which you'll never comprehend in your lifetime? I'm curious to hear what other Triads did. 

Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

the poem that my group did was a section from the poem/play Faust and the wasteland by TS Eliot. The poems both go and delve into the ideas for which we need to go and see who is the master of our society is it fate or does the individual have the ability to go forward and create his own fate. Faust focuses on the ability of the poet to write the future of our society. the contrasts were very intresting 

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@jacksonvon Hmm interesting. We were going to do Wasteland but we decided that that would be a common poem for people to analyze. I feel like you hit on a point that all modernist poetry attempts to answer: whether or not humanity has free will to influence their surroundings. Wallace Stevens comes out and tells us that the mind is our key to this "fate" you describe. Whitman on the other hand, would rather believe that fate is part of nature and that we can't necessarily control it. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot I like this contrast. The idea of fate is a really confusing and controversial one. It's hard to decipher whether fate is a real thing or merely coincidental. I for one don't know if I believe in fate. It's a hard thing to decide. The everything happens for a reason concept is one that is also controversial. I'm curious to hear others opinions regarding these ideas.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot i agree i do find the separation of the ideas of romantics and modernists is what fate is to a man. we need to go and find out what fate is to humanity and that is the battle for which the romantics and the modernists fought. I find that to me is the most interesting part of poetry .

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine  I feel like everyone views fate in a different way. Even if you were to believe in fate, the severity or strength of belief may differ person to person slightly changing everyone's definition of the concept. Yeah to be honest I have no idea when it comes to believing fate is a thing. I do like how we can see it in different aspects, I like the butterfly effect. Its basically the same thing, everything happens for a reason. With the butterfly effect you have more then one choice, whatever choice you choose supposedly takes you to a different path. Is this how we perceive the concept of fate? Are they two different concepts, or the same?

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

For our romantic poem we chose On being Cautioned Against Walking on a Headland” by Charlotte Smith. In this poem we see human nature and the powers of emotion come out to play as the speaker written by Smith is oblivious to the restraints of society, yet more interested in her relation to the person walking along the “headland”. We can say the speaker is unable to perceive the bounds of society. Smith was able to capture the essence of stigma with emotion, imagination and nature. The speaker played the perfect oblivious role that almost seemed to obscure the theme.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Comparing the two poems was actually kinda cool. Both of our poems had this sort of play on society. The romantic poem was kinda obscure, innocent and and more hope to it. The modernist side was described more in the view of our speakers direct internal conflict with society and the stigma surrounding the lower class. We saw society in a way that was more hopeful, a view that you could escape its grip and stigmas on the Romantic side. The modernist side was almost blunt compared to the other, it was not sugar coated to say the least. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Analyzing the romantic v modern poems really increased my appreciation for both methods, or perspectives. Really getting into the thought process of the author allows us to get to that modern or romantic interpretation. Both were enjoyable plays on society, but I found myself being more found of the modernist poem. When it comes to society and acknowledging its flaws, innocence and hopefulness are themes I would sway from. Seeing how it was put together actually made sense. The obscure themes the romantic poem had, added to the hopefulness and innocence. Overall I thought it was an interesting take on society, I enjoyed seeing how the two could differ as they did.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking