Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forums are now closed.

Poetry Presentation...

Notifications
Clear all

Poetry Presentations-- Multiple Choice  

RSS

cosisconfused
(@cosisconfused)
Gnome AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 13, 2020 7:21 pm  

I feel like the multiple choice questions we've been working with on the poetry presentations have been really beneficial so far, much like the multiple choice practice we did a couple months ago. I feel like being exposed to these questions before the AP exam (if we have them haha coronavirus) will make it easier to understand how to get the answers by ourselves because of the class discussions. The only thing I don't quite understand about these questions is the fact that they are made by us, the students, so they might not be exactly like the questions we're going to see on the exam. I'm worried that I'm going to get used to really vague questions and then receive really explicit ones on the exam, or vice versa. Leave your opinions below about these multiple choice questions! How could we make sure they're improved to the level of College Board in order to prepare ourselves in the best way possible?

zrosario002
(@zrosario002)
Bookworm AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 13, 2020 8:17 pm  

I agree that these poetry presentations will probably benefit us a lot for the AP exam. I've been learning a lot more terms and have been looking at multiple choice in a completely different way since we started talking about the multiple choice questions as a class. I find it really helpful to talk about the multiple choice questions as a class because we get to discuss with everyone and everyone has different perspectives. When we argue about which answers to keep or eliminate makes me realize how the question can be interpreted in different ways, and often I’ve found myself thinking one answer was correct, then discuss with the class and completely changing my mind. 

ReplyQuote
kesar
(@kesar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2020
March 13, 2020 9:47 pm  

I think that constructing the multiple choice questions will be as beneficial as trying to answer them. In constructing multiple choice questions you have to think critically about the important aspects of the poem. In creating wrong answers you have to think about all the possible ways someone might interpret the poem so you don't accidentally provide two right answers. At the same time, you can't make the right answer too obvious, so whatever you choose as a wrong answer has to be at least a little plausible.

ReplyQuote
graceirla
(@graceirla)
Topics
March 16, 2020 3:33 pm  

After having taken the AP Lang exam, I think it's very helpful that we're practicing the multiple-choice section in class. Although the Lang and Lit exams won't be exactly the same, the structure of the multiple-choice questions has some resemblance. I definitely remember needing to answer questions about tone on the Lang exam, and there will most likely be tone questions on the Lit exam as well. The fact that we are writing and answering the questions ourselves is much more helpful than just taking a practice multiple choice test due to the fact that there may be some student errors. Because we're writing the questions instead of professionals, there's going to be some mistakes. In class, we have the ability to work through those mistakes, and it gives us a better idea of why the question would or wouldn't be on the test, which gives us better study methods and more security in our studying.

ReplyQuote
royzieglerh70
(@royzieglerh70)
Bookworm AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 18, 2020 1:14 pm  

I agree with what Zoe said that the poetry presentations in class have helped a lot with my learning about different terms, etc. I also think that the strategies that we have talked through in class have been helpful. On Chapter 12 of Moodle, the multiple choice practice is riddled with various references and terms that I had never heard of before. However, by using process of elimination it worked out fine for me. I also think that a lot of the questions on these poetry presentations do a good job of giving us two terms that we have to discern between in order to determine things like tone, etc. A big thing that I have noticed in these practices is that even if one word that describes the tone seems right, both of the descriptors have to be correct in order for it to work properly. This is something that I've had a hard time with previously on the practice exams, which is why I like the questions that revolve around that, and I think these have made me better at answering the multiple choice questions. 

ReplyQuote
Meredith Prevo
(@mereprevo)
Gnome AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 20, 2020 11:42 pm  

The practices in class do really help for me. After the AP Lang test, one of my worst sections was the multiple choice interpretation, so this not only helps build my skills, but the confidence to realize that I do know these things. With Chisnell teaching us how to pick apart a question, I find it much easier to decipher what exactly a question is asking, how to find answers that may be in there to intimidate us, and teach it all in a fun way that pulls us all together as a class.

ReplyQuote
royemmis25
(@royemmis25)
Bookworm AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 26, 2020 1:55 pm  

Like my previous post on the free response forum, even though I am not taking the college board exam, I have also been happy to learn and write these questions because I feel it may be very beneficial when testing in college next fall. It is kinda fun to write them, but difficult. It is easy to write the question and answer, but harder to write the wrong answers. I also worry that we write our questions poorly so that the actual answer isn’t what we thought it was.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking