Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forums are now closed.

Poetry Presentation...

Notifications
Clear all

Poetry Presentations--Free Response  

RSS

cosisconfused
(@cosisconfused)
Gnome AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 13, 2020 7:28 pm  

Much like the other forum that I wrote about multiple choice, I feel really good about practicing these questions before the time of the exam (again, if we even have the AP exam). My biggest concern about the free response is not writing enough or not writing explicit enough to receive a lot of points. As of right now, I don't really know if the free response questions are more vague and related to a general idea of the poem or text, or if the free response is more specific and you need to find good evidence to back up whatever point is trying to be made. If you have a better idea of what the free response questions entail, that would be a much appreciated forum response. What are some things to make sure we check off when writing the free response? Are their specific requirements in order to get the most amount of points?

royzieglerh70
(@royzieglerh70)
Bookworm AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 18, 2020 1:31 pm  

A big point that I always try to hit when writing my free response is being able to discern a theme from the work and attempting to answer a question in response to not just the prompt, but the theme of the work as a whole. Something that Chisnell said that has always stuck with me was that every free response question, no matter what the prompt is, always is about the theme of the work in the end. I feel that every free response prompt we have gotten for practice has ended with "and how this (insert topic of prompt) enhances the broader point of the work." Therefore, when I'm writing I always try to approach the prompt from the point of view of the theme of the work. In terms of textual evidence, I always think it's much better to paraphrase the parts of the work that most impact whatever the prompt is asking about. Oftentimes I will paraphrase so much that I only need to quote a few words from the poem or prose piece in order to solidify the point that I have already made. In my opinion, however, it is always better to have too much evidence and trim down when writing in the moment than to not have enough evidence in the first place. If you are having trouble finishing the full essay in the allotted amount of time, I would just recommend to keep doing practice ones. In AP Lang last year I didn't figure out how to pace myself in writing essays until around April, but now I do fine with it so I think this is determined on more of an individual basis. 

ReplyQuote
royemmis25
(@royemmis25)
Bookworm AP Lit 2020
Topics
March 26, 2020 1:48 pm  

Even though I am not taking the college board exam, I have also been happy to learn and write these questions because I feel it may be very beneficial when testing in college next fall. I had some difficulty writing my groups free response questions because I couldn’t remember what possible questions could be like. I hope what I did is satisfactory for a grade at least. But I guess as of now it may not matter?? #COVID-19Gang

ReplyQuote
Steve Chisnell
(@schisnell)
Member Admin
Sith Lord
April 1, 2020 5:07 pm  

I appreciate this string of thinking!  

I will be creating a few videos of writing the impromptu for the exam shortly!  We'll find out soon more details on what that exam will look like, but we (the nation's AP teachers) are 99% sure it's one impromptu essay only; we just don't know which question it will be, yet:  poetry, prose, or the open prompt. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking