Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Poetry = Literature

Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature

Page 8 / 10

wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber I totally agree, and I think I garnered a deeper appreciation for this condensation of information with writing the ToTS haiku. The harshest limitations really do lead to the most creative and provoking outcomes, and it was hard to actually grasp that before doing it firsthand. It's just about leaving in the most meaning so that every element of the poem has something there. I think poetry is so intriguing not because of its brevity but rather its density of meaning.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@salmon For me it did lead to very deep and creative outcome, it was just at what cost? I spent a good amount of time trying to find the perfect word to describe my character and it proved to be so hard. Which for me just means that I have a ton of work to do when it comes to these types of things. So far a lot of people have touched on the meaning of poetry but I think that you used a word that find unique and very simple to describing the situation. Poetry is very intriguing and I think that the word "density" means so much when it comes to it. Because essentially what you are saying is that it could be rated on a scale of mass based on it's meaning which to some people (me) might help with the complete understanding of the subject at hand. 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

I agree with @salmon on this one, I also have a new appreciation after the ToTS haiku writing. I had so much trouble trying to condense so much meaning into only 17 syllables. I laugh because a few days ago I thought only 100 words was short! I respected poets before, but holy cow do I respect them a lot more now! writing such meaningful stuff in such a dense way is really challenging. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@carlatortelli I feel like we talked about in class that the shorter the writing, the more impactful it can be. Especially with poems, if you can get your point and emotions across within a few lines or even words, it leaves the reader more space to think, which can be impactful in itself. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I agree with this. I think if you're able to convey the meaning and emotion in a shorter piece, it definitely proves more impactful than a longer piece. A shorter piece can be quick, impactful, and is less likely to bore the reader than a longer piece as well.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo At this point I start to think that people saying things like short and sweet has an impact on my opinion on poetry.  That people get bored from long stories and find more in a short yet informative story.

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber totally agree! It's so cool to see the different ways in which this writing is condensed as well. From metaphor to removing descriptive words, there's a true art to writing poetry! It's super important to study.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I totally agree! Packing emotion into a smaller poem is a challenge but they do have a kick when they work out. Its hard not to dredge out information within a poem, so sometimes that challenge is needed. The longer it is doesn't mean it doesn't pack as hard of a punch, most of the time. Every poem is a challenge you need enough info but not to much, you need some lines but not to many, its a process like most pieces of literature are. I do agree with your comments though!

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber I very much agree with you! Poetry is so diverse, with so many style to choose from. The flexibility in grammar rules is a fun thing to test when you get to play around with some material. Poetry is something very malleable and very dense in a sense. I have no idea if that makes any sense, but yea poetry is pretty cool. Especially how you basically get to express anything on your mind with not to many literary "rules". 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki You are so right! The analysis, no matter how lengthy or boring, serves a big purpose. The analysis of poetry allows us to see different perspectives and comprehend the words/ wording on a much larger scale. I feel like you don't get that full sense of appreciation unless you've done some sort of picking at a poem. Earlier in our school days we just looked at some metaphors, illusions, etc. while those are nice to store in your head, I like how we have moved passed that. We have been able to dive deeper into this diverse world of poetry as we have moved up in the school system.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo It takes a lot to become immersed in a piece or novel. Some people can read anything for fun, but for others you do, as you said, want to feel some sort of connection. I feel the same way. If the story doesn't reel me in its harder to stick to it, then when you can relate to a piece. Being "connected" to a book a accounts for a bunch of stuff. You can be connected to the words, the writing or just the overall vibe of the book itself.  

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki I feel like most types of writing can have multiple perspectives. Every book every excerpt, when you come together with someone else they usually propose a different perspective. Any genre of reading or writing can supply that impact I think your thinking of. Even a known line like Harry Potter can be seen in a different light. Poetry and literature have that great trait to them, everyone can have the same view, slightly different view or just a completely opposite perspective.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli I agree that it is especially important to analyze poetry as it is definitely one of the more difficult. I think that discussing it as a class was a really good way for us to and analyze the poems which we read because we are looking at them and working things out as we discuss them. I know that it has been helpful to me to talk about it with the class. I feel that you really need to go and analyze a poem to truly understanding the meaning of the poem 

ReplyQuote
Steve Chisnell
(@schisnell)
The Teacher Admin
Topics
Sith Lord

Here's a question:

Which follows which?

Do I have a form or genre (sonnet, novel, diary, etc.) then decide what to put in it?

Or do I have an idea and choose the form/genre which builds that idea best? 

If the latter, then what ideas can poetry articulate which novels cannot? And which ideas can sonnets offer that free verse cannot? or haiku?

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone, you've pretty much summed up exactly how I feel about poetry. Poetry has never been something that I was eager to work with. I feel like the word usage and the structure make it more complex than a simple passage from a book. Because of this I've never really considered poetry the same as other literature. But like you said, how we feel should not affect if poetry is considered literature. I think it's unfair to do so, I think even though poetry is out of our comfort zones we should still look at it the same way that we look at any other piece of literature.

ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 10
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking