Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Poetry = Literature

Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature

Page 7 / 10

Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti This makes me so happy to hear because poetry is just such a beautiful thing. I think so many people go into reading poetry with such a closed mind because it seems difficult to analyze, but as we grow as readers and delve into the complex and amazing world of literary art, I think the ability to appreciate poetry is one that we should hone. It can send messages to audiences in a way that no other piece of art can. It's very unique structure is what really makes poetry stand out to me.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@delphine I too am very fascinated with poetry. I think what makes it stand out to me are tow things. One being the many ways it can be analyzed that are unique to poetry, such as is formatting (stanzas, patterns, lines, etc.), but also the very specific word choice and its punctuation. While these things are important in novels and other forms of literature, other pieces of literature have other ways of developing meaning. With poetry, these certain pieces are crucial to giving it meaning. The other thing I really enjoy about poetry is how beautiful it sounds. The way it is written sounds so wonderful to me and I love how poetry has the ability to really express the mood towards the reader and bring the reader into the moment.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

@aplitstudent123 I totally agree. I think poetry can be very fun to read because of the fact that poetry doesn't require perfect grammar rules, so the author's have much more creative freedom. I think poetry as a genre is so interesting because of how many ways it can be portrayed.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@leinweber I think that here you make a very important point about how poetry has many different ways it can be portrayed. Because essentially this is the big picture of poetry. If you give a poem to a group of people and ask them to explain what the author is trying to portray to the audience you will get a vast difference in everyone's answers with only few matching. Majority of them being opinions, while others rely more on facts. We see this in ourselves actually when we have looked at some poems in this class. For example the poem that had the dead groundhog, both classes had shared their ideas in the forums and some ideas we pushed deeper into and others we left alone. Until as a group we could come to a conclusion that made sense, or at least had it narrowed down to a couple of ideas. So I can definitely agree with you on how interesting that aspect of poetry is mostly for the process that comes with it. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I think we only know as much as we are shown from the point of view of the narrator.  In a poem we are shown a story, and we know about as much as the narrator shares, therefor we only have the point of view and opinion of someone else. We can't really decipher what is 100% true.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @aplitstudent123

With poetry, these certain pieces are crucial to giving it meaning.

I really like how you worded this. The term crucial is a good one to use to really drive home your point. Poetry requires these literary strategies in order to correctly portray its message to the reader! Like you said, these devices can be helpful in novels and other longer works, but they are not used as commonly because they are not absolutely needed. 

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington that's exactly what I mean! And I love the tie-in to music. There's a quote, something along the lines of "if you're happy, you dance to the beat of the music, and if you're sad, you listen to the lyrics". Of course this cannot be said for all songs, but it shows that music can be interpreted in many ways, just like poetry.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@xmysterio that is a very good word to describe it. When I read literature, I want to feel apart of it. If I am not connected, I am not interested, and reading then gets boring. In the past I have been able to read books for long amounts of time without stopping, but that doesn't really happen for me anymore. I just don't get the same encapsulating feeling I used to get.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@bunkymoo Not necessarily understanding the piece but rather being able to decipher it and give it the meaning it gives to you. The piece of literature itself will be written the same, the plot will be that same, the characters will be the same, but the value one takes out of the piece depends on the value the readers give the piece. But yeah now I can extract the meaning the piece supposedly gives me. girl chees

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I think that's one of the formative traits of poetry. It can be interpreted in so many ways. Different people will have vastly different takeaways. I have to wonder, are there other types of writing that have this same trait? What do you (anyone) think?

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I love your passion! Another thing that's great about poetry is the many different forms it can take. I remember even learning about this in elementary school. There are so many different types of poems and formats. They can have different rhythms, be rhyming or non-rhyming, and have however many stanzas and lines the author feels necessary. It's such a versatile art form!

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I'm so glad that you have come to enjoy poetry more this year! It is such an interesting concept. I feel that the studying of poetry throughout my high school years and English classes has given me a deeper understanding for it. All of the analysis has showed me the passion that the authors have.

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

@nikki I feel the same way. I never really enjoyed poetry until I was forced to read it, and I have definitely grown in my appreciation of the stylistic elements that poetry can contain. I think it is amazing how a lot of meaning can be condensed into a much smaller amount of writing as compared to prose.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I love that comparison, music and poetry. Both are considered a form of art in my eyes. Classical music is a world of interpretation just as a single poem can be. Everyone might perceive one song in a unique way different from another's view. Classical music and poetry kinda give you a base to build your own little fictional reality. I think that is great, a little get away. This forum is pretty cool, seeing as we always find a way to get deeper into this one topic. There are so many cracks to find within this topic. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber Its so cool that so much meaning can be compacted into a few lines of poetry, even a few syllables. When I was younger I used to think it was pretty easy to write a few lines down, never really thinking about how much emotion one line might contain. My appreciation for poetry has most definitely gone up throughout the years. Being exposed to a world of poetry with all the different styles really helped that little process of appreciation. It's funny how a prose and a poem could have the same meaning with such a word count gap.

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 10
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking