Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Poetry = Literature

Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature  

Page 6 / 7

Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine Playing with the various form of poetry is a hobby I'm very glad I picked up. Exploring and writing poetry as an art form has been very beneficial to my analyzing skills. Poetry can be so compact yet filled with so much meaning. Its a challenge to decipher each literary structure contained in one poem, but its a nice challenge to break down. The way that two people could have two completely different views on one poem is pretty interesting. Just like literature every word and phrase can mean something new and different to each pair of eyes. 

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine I agree that music is a super powerful artform this thread has always been one of my favorites to come back and read. To go back to the music aspect I listen to a lot of classical music. I feel and see that classical music is as beautiful as poetry is. I often listen to it while I work out and a way of figuring out what the meaning of the music really is. I feel that you can really come and look at the music and almost create your own story and I really think that is the wonder of it. Classical music is something i always come back to love what i hear 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon When you compared classical music to poetry, I had an interesting thought. The limits on poetry are what make them so often interesting, and music is rather similar, I'd say. The different styles of poetry share common traits much like genres of music. Music is also limited by the frequencies which work both with the genre and the human ear. I just thought it was very interesting to draw those parallels, because often they can capture the same exact meanings through wildly different mediums.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon

I agree with you that classical music has as much depth as poetry and other forms of literature. Classical music tells a story, and the story can be heard through your interpretation of the notes. As the mood changes and the notes flow from one intensity to another, there is a sense of deeper meaning than musical notes being put together. They are arranged in a way that allows the artist to present a story just as an author does. I only question you listening to classical music while working out, I can't get motivated by it haha. I do enjoy listening to classical music in the background when I do homework though.

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
Intern

@delphine I definitely think that poetry is an interesting art form in its interpretation ability. With other art forms, it can be less clear whether there is a hidden metaphor or not. But in poetry, there is almost always a metaphor to be found. In terms of our own personal lives, many of us have obviously read poetry in previous ELA classes. We've been taught how to pick apart a poem's meaning and apply it to themes (especially in AP Lang).

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 That's so awesome that you've changed your opinion on poetry! I have always loved poetry, but it's cool to hear from some others who may have changed opinions based on this class. I think it's definitely something you can come to enjoy.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli Yes! This is something I feel like I've been repeating a lot but the best part about literature is all the different meanings that each different/new person comes up with. It's just so cool and allows for constantly changing opinions (which is a great thing in this class).

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki I like that you said this because it delves into the more technical side of poetry, like in AP Lang. I like that you mentioned metaphors as well, because that can bring up a new conversation about literary devices in poetry. They are pretty much always prominent in a poem. Just out of curiosity, what literary devices do you (anyone 🙂 find to be the most effective when reading a poem? Personally, I find emotional appeals to be the most effective because they are usually the most obvious (not as difficult to interpret/find as maybe a complex metaphor may be) and my emotions are very easily appealed to. If those types of appeals are put into a piece, I am immediately connected and drawn into the storyline/characters. I'm interested to see what someone with a more logic-based mind may think about this.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I love that. Like we both said, instrumental music is especially power due to the fact that the "story" is completely determined by the listener (unless you have background knowledge regarding the piece). It's so beautiful to know that art forms comparable to literature don't always have to contain complex wording and/or lyricism to remain inspiring/powerful.

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
Intern

@delphine love the quick response thanks 🙂 I find logical appeals to be the most effective, and I do consider myself to be someone with a more logic-based mind. I do still find emotional appeals to be effective, however, when there is an undeniable fact base with the appeal, I am more apt to use it in my argument. I find it interesting that appeals can be so effective in different ways.

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki Hmm! I love this <3 I have to ask, besides logical/emotional/ethical appeals, what type of other literary devices do you find to be the most powerful? I know you mentioned metaphors earlier. Do you have a particular example in mind that speaks to you? Perhaps from an earlier piece or class?

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki your post made me think of how poetry really does have so many interpretations. It is one of the artforms that are less direct, but it is all the more beautiful because of it. With so many loose ends it is very easy to relate to a poem in some way. I love that because it can be relevant and almost always can provide comfort in some way. Much like music, some songs can be either happy or sad and change depending on when you listen to it and the different ways it connects to your life at that time

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington Poetry and music both can connect to you in such a deep way, and in many different ways. Poems have so many emotions you can draw from them, which is the same within music, and I think that's so neat. It's weird to me how people can connect with a text in very different ways, even though they are reading the same thing. Poems and songs can be very similar, and it feels as if a song is just a singing version of a poem. I find it fascinating the connection that you made between the two.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I agree with you and @delphine too!  At the beginning of this year, I will not lie, I did not like poetry really at all.  I have never really red poetry and when it did it always seemed so forced and I struggled to read it.  With this class, and this forum especially, I have come to appreciate it a lot more.  Before this class, i wanted nothing to do with poetry, but with this class and analyzing some poems and things I dont understand, I have come to realize that poetry is interesting and it is not just a bunch of tough to understand literary devices. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine Thank you. I can see what you mean now, and I like that my response was able to shift your thinking in some way. I made use of the word encapsulating because I feel that best fit what a piece of literature should feel like. You, as the reader, should feel immersed into the piece. 

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 7
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking