Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forum check complete for 10/23/20. 

At this point, you should have ~35 total posts for 100%. Remember that you can post up to 8x/week for up to 150% per week, if you need to catch up! On MiStar and elsewhere, know that any points beyond 105% total will be reduced to 105% (District limit on extra-credit!)

Forum Credits (these do roll over to MP2):

• 3+ credits: Nicole, octavia, persephone, xwing37
  • 2 credits: abuzz, ahayo, aplitstudent, bunkymoo, Carla Tortelli, MangoMan, savhoisington, SnowyYeti, username27, Delphine
  • 1 credit: AnonymousParrot, stella, Jackson Von Habsburg, A2MOEOM2
Maintenance Points:
  1. The first few times you write, your post may be kept in moderation for my review. After that, posts should publish immediately. I just want to be sure who is posting and the substantive value of the post for people new to the forums!
  2. All posts should now be visible on all AP Lit boards. You should be able to post without problems (if you have a working chisnell.com username!). If this is not the case, please write mesteven.chisnell@royaloakschools.org
  3.  Remember that you must be logged in to post! If you do not see your chisnell.com username in the upper right of the page, you are not logged in and your "anonymous" post will not be approved. Are you one of the people who did not get a post approved? Maybe this was the reason. Contact me!
Poetry = Literature

Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature  

Page 4 / 4
  RSS

Nicole
(@nicole)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 10, 2020 8:02 pm  

@curtis I don't agree with the idea of poetry being held to a higher standard than prose. Yes, poetry is more emotional and it is presented in a more expressive way, but I don't think that means it is superior or to be held above prose at all. They are different and can't really be compared in that sense. They each have their own functions and qualities that make them what they are, but their differences doesn't make one better than the other. 

ReplyQuote
looneylibra
(@curtis)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 15, 2020 4:13 pm  

@leinweber

I agree that poetry and other literature are there for different purposes. With your thought that poetry is introspective, that could be a reason why Arnold values poetry more. That would allow him for find more answers in himself than searching for meaning in literature made for society's view. I hadn't thought of that idea of their differences before but I definitely see now how their purposes pose different meanings. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 8:37 pm  

@persephone me too. I have never really given poetry a chance because I have always found it boring and difficult. These two things together completely repelled me away from the topic altogether. But since I am in this class, it has opened me a lot to literature and especially poetry, and I am able to actually understand what I am reading now. This makes poetry so much more enjoyable!

ReplyQuote
DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 9:08 pm  

@gardella I think that your description of how you struggle with poetry is one that a lot of us can empathize with. For e personally, when reading poetry I just try and overanalyze it. I know that I am used to reading prose, which I think has metaphors and hidden meanings that are much more spread out, which I think makes prose easier to understand because when I do come across something I think might have more than a surface level meaning, have more information that is easier for me to apply to whatever I'm trying to analyze. When I read poetry, because the metaphors and representations are often in much higher quantities and much closer together, I try and overanalyze it, so that even if I miss some small meaning here or there, because I am looking for meaning in every word I think that I can get a lot more meaning out of a piece of poetry.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 10:44 pm  

Poetry has not had a deep impact in my reading life, mainly because the way we were taught to read poetry was to think of the author as the narrator and not a storyteller. Since we were young, we were indoctrinated by the Texas school system to view poems this way. Just up until now my eyes were open and the veil placed upon was lifted. My mind was freed and due to this I enjoyed mending wall much more than I would've with the restrictions I was taught. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 10:49 pm  

@msar That is very interesting, because I've always learned to see it the opposite: poetry is the artsy emotional expression, and prose is the more rigid narration. I wonder, is it a cultural difference between here and the south? But I absolutely agree, being able to see the speaker as less of an author and more of a character truly helped me enjoy some poems. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking