Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature

Page 15 / 16

bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@carlatortelli I think victorian style poems were by far the hardest for me to understand because of the language. I agree that an era can say a lot about how much you enjoy and understand it. For me, I was never able to fully grasp and understand how these poems worked, just because they were worded in ways that really made me think.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster I definitely understand! I am a musician myself and am very interested in the complexities of music. As someone who usually focuses on lyrical music, I find myself getting so bored once I've solidified the lyrics that I tend to try and listen to all of those intricate and beautiful parts of the instrumental music. Lyrics combined with the right instrumentals are so so powerful, because you take two entirely different types of storytelling and allow them to come together. 

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine I, personally, am not a musician, and I too appreciate music of course, but your post reminds me of Kafka on the Shore, Saeki's song, not the book as a whole. I remember Kafka contemplating how she found such a perfect melody to fit such unique words. And to me, I have always thought most songs were written to a fixed song, whether the melody wa already created or if it was still in the songwriter's imagination. But, it is kind of made a point that it wa poetry before it was music. I just wonder if by creating music as poetry first allows for a more unique outcome. Anyways, I spent a bit of time thinking about that, so just a thought!

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli That's great insight! It definitely is harder to categorize each type of poetry and each genre of music. I feel like this is why we make these distinctions. We have an umbrella term, such as "language," and continue to zoom in closer to each specific category. Things such as poetry, music, spoken word, and others all have rhythm to them (even if that means not having a rhythm at all!) which makes me place them into a more zoomed out category, since they are all similar is some regards, if that makes sense.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@abuzz I made a post not to long ago about this topic and how certain types of music might relate to poems or literature. But your post actually makes a lot sense than what I was trying to say. When you brought up the idea about rhythm and how each word essentially has its own rhythm to it I guess the idea behind it all made more sense to me. It all really is a zoomed out structure because there are just so many open ends to the idea and so many different connections. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 a lot of 90's rap is closely related to poetry, the term "Poetic Justice" was used to get messages across musically. I think you have a really good point here, the rhythm in music is like pacing in a poem.  I never really thought about it like that but it's true, music and poetry are broken up into sections with different rhythm patterns. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman I have always closely related rap and poetry because they both have rhyming to them, and to me they are basically the same thing, just at different paces. Poetry is just a slow, more formal way of rap, and can even have the same meaning put into it if you want. This applies the same way to the opposite as well.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 Then I feel like we can go even further and ask, can these two (music and poetry) be interchanged? I don't mean to bring reality tv into this, but I am going to. The Circle on Netflix gave the players a poetry challenge where they had to write a poem of their interpretation. While some wrote more traditional poetry, some gave the poems more of a "rap" feel. All of these entries are valid, however. Could we say that these poems were also song?

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I hadn't thought of this before, but now that you mention it, I realized it really is! In a way, all music could be considered poetry, not just rap. They have the same aspects in regards to structure.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia -  I feel like music is in a sense its own form of poetry. There have been many songs written that have a poem as the lyrics. I feel like one could consider music a poem that has instruments playing in the background and a very expressive voice singing the words.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 Poetry and music are so closely related. I feel like poetry can be expressed in a "normal" talking sense and or a vocally sung expression. Many genres of music have that almost poetic theme relating to the lyrics they sing. Music could even just be another form of poetry as you said. It may not be another form in the way that it is structured (or it could be), but a difference in how it is expressed. Lyrics can be very poetic. Some poets and song writers might even have the same thought process on structure and use of literature in their individual art styles. They both definitely relate in one way or another.

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@carlatortelli this class has shown me that the opinion/"bias" piece of analysis is important too! The reaction that the piece of literature elicits from the reader is a key feature of the analysis. I like that in this class there is more to analysis than just the piece as is.

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@octavia it is crazy but also pretty cool that people's interpretations of literature can be so varied. I wonder if this is ever frustrating to authors. For example, if an author had a very strict and straightforward way that they wanted their story to be interpreted. One question we can ask is, what are some traits of people that contribute to the differences in interpretations?

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo Ok but have you listened to Eminem's new album (newish).  Not hating on the guy because I think he is really talented but like how can you say it's always the same thing when some rap is being taken seriously and has a line like this, "B!#ch I can make an orange rhyme with banana, oranana" That is an actual bar.  Now this isn't supposed to be about Eminem or his new songs, I'm trying to argue that not all rap is poetry, sometimes is can be a quick money grab.  I think for it to truly be poetry it has to come from a personal experience or thought that adds passion to the music.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@nikki Though I agree on how at times it might be frustrating. I think that majority of authors write with yes their given purpose but then when published readers might find a deeper meaning and impress the author. Picking up what I'm laying down? I can definitely see where you are coming from though. I can for sure say if I was an author and put it this position I would be upset as some writing is similar to complex theories that take years to produce and for someone to think otherwise would be annoying. 

ReplyQuote
Page 15 / 16
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking