Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature

Page 14 / 16

Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster To be honest I've been somewhat into poetry since around 7th grade, but  this class definitely open my eyes to poetry in a different way. All the different poems, time periods, styles ad methods of interpreting really helped to broadened my perspective on some aspects of poetry.  My attention span is not the greatest, so having poetry is great when I don't wanna sit down and read a book. In a way they a lot have an equal amount of meaning in many cases. Poems are almost more cryptic than regular novels and that how all the meaning is packed in, if that makes any sense. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman Yea the variety the whole concept of poetry is pretty cool. You could go from reading a renascence poem in class to reading a short comedic poem in your free time. Interpreting varies from poem to poem, but the skills we are gaining in this class to do just that have helped me interpret more poems that previous years. Poems can be so complex, yet so simple at the same time. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo That is very true. When writing about a poem I can agree that the meaning takes a minute. The meaning is the core of the poem, the style and tone stem off of that in most cases. Writing poetry helped increase my appreciation for poetry. When you have to come up with an idea in class, it is harder to kick start the poem. In perspective, meaning allows every other aspect of a poem to stem off of that one concept. Of course this varies from poet to poet, each individual will come up with a strategy that works for them.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@carlatortelli I think that it is interesting how you brought together interpretation of poetry and the era it was written in. I have thought about this before because poetry that is written around events or ideas in a time where we might of heard of them before is way easier for us to look at and go "oh I know whats happening here" than looking at something from the eighteen hundreds and being like "how is this even english". I guess to sum up my idea I think it's extremely fascinating on how era plays a part in pretty much everything we learn, think and observe. It all depends on what's around you at any given time to provoke the future.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo Bringing music into this made me think of a couple new questions regarding the topic of "Poetry = Literature." With all of the pieces that make poetry, don't they seem to similarly align with music? Of course, without the instruments. But I also recall some listenings of poetry having instrumental music playing behind them... Could we ask the new question of "Poetry = Music?" Even further... would music then be literature??

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster I love that you've described the evolution of poetry in your own literary life. The developments we've all undergone through the middle schools classes you've mentioned until now are ones I believe many of us can relate to, including myself. I love how we've been able to change our ideas and learn to love and/or appreciate the analyzing of all kinds of literature, including poetry.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz Honestly, I think the lyricism of music would most definitely be considered poetry. The definition of poetry is

"literary work in which special intensity is given to the expression of feelings and ideas by the use of distinctive style and rhythm; poems collectively or as a genre of literature."
Now, under this meaning I would ask the question: Are musical compositions without lyrics still considered poetry? They use distinctive style to express feeling, as well as rhythm. I'm now unsure of where I stand regarding non-lyrical music, how about everyone else?

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo Yeah I can agree with that as well.  I always try to relate myself but I know that doesn't always work because I am me and the author is the author.  A lot of the times when I can't relate I try to relate from some other readers perspective which can also be tricky.  I'll try more often to look at it from the authors POV.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz I really like your thought process on this! I was able to ask singer, who writes his own music what he thought of poetry. He basically said the two were so similar they were almost the same thing, Within some genres of music. Both poetry and music express meaning in blunt and or cryptic way. They both bleed emotion to some degree and show the depth of the person behind the lyrics or the stanzas. It's cool to get the "insider" perspective but that question still stands, does poetry=music. I would say it would depend on the type of poetry and or music.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine Poetry and lyricism both have this literal expression of emotion. It may not be right in front of you, but with the words given we have something to hold on to and literally read the words given. You stumped me with this question, where does non lyrical music stand? The expression may not be as universally tangible as a poem or song, but we do see expression of emotion. Sheet music can be read by some but not all. Is there a way we could connect words and sheet music (music notes etc.) in the realm of emotional expression? Even with lo-fi there is a basis to the music they produce. How does this all tie together? Does it all tie together or have I gone too far?

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli

I do agree with you that poetry can allow for some more compact and efficient idea delivery. I have in recent years found my ability to sit and read a book to be diminishing (I blame it on technology). Poetry allows me to stay involved in literature and experience many different very valuable pieces without finding myself lose focus or composure! I hope that my own experience of a diminishing attention span doesn't continue further for those to come as it will most certainly hinder their ability to enjoy literature in the form of novels!

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine

At first, when deciding to take this class I was very skeptical as my sibling had both taken this course and had told me to prepare myself for my mind to be destroyed by Mr. Chisnell's teaching of literary theories. I have found that although this course does sometimes send my mind spinning, I have learned some invaluable things about appreciating literature in all of its forms and how it is more than just 'books', it is all around us and is a part of our culture and everything we have done as a species (language).

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli I definitely don't think you've gone too far! They all certainly tie together. I like the idea of sheet music. Some may even refer to it as its own language of sorts. Who are we to declare this incorrect? I find myself leaning towards the "poetry" category for non-lyrical music as well, but I definitely think there are still some ideas to be heard regarding this. Anyone have another comment regarding your opinion on this idea?

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine

I know that musical notes are meant to draw specific emotions from the audience, and these emotions are put together in sequence through a piece. If you specifically listen to classical music, it tells a story and takes you through a mix of music. Classical music has a connotation of snobbiness and stupidly old fashioned attached to it, but if you honestly give it a listen, and just feel what the music provokes in you, it is quite spectacular to feel the ways in which a composer can tell a story and for you to be able to naturally understand it. An exciting piece everyone has heard before is "Le Nozze di Figaro, K. 492 Sinfonia - Mozart" if you want something calmer that draws nostalgia, one of the most famous pieces of music is "Cello Suite No. 1 in G Major - Bach" (specifically part 1). I do implore a listen to see if you understand what I mean!

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@conster Hah! I love it when you said "my mind to be destroyed by Mr. Chisnell". I can totally relate to that, because we really have be opened up to (at least most of us) to a world of literature that we haven't even thought of exploring. I 100% agree with some of the things we have learned to be invaluable, and to be honest I'm glad we've explored some topics that might not be as appealing as others. I really feel like when Im in his class it is not just about english, is also about the history and we are learning so much more than just writing and discesting literature. 

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 16
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking