Notifications
Clear all

Poetry = Literature

Page 13 / 16

bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@snowyyeti I think this is why poetry was so confusing for me at first. I was so used to simple poems that you really didn't have to look closely to understand the meaning. I definitely feel like poetry made me more conscious of different time periods, because different authors and ideas were more dominant in certain points in time as others. 

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@carlatortelli definitely true! Different people's opinions, points of view, or experiences will also shape their interpretations. The author's interpretation also isn't the end-all, be-all. 

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti

Poetry has also always eluded me. Especially in middle school, during sections on poetry I would constantly find myself struggling to find the reasoning behind certain poetry for anything other than to make sentences sound nice. Why would anyone write and then analyse poetry when they can read a stunning novel like The Kite Runner (one of my favorites)? The meaning can much more easily be picked up and is much more compelling. That was until I took this class. We have learned how great poetry can be, and the immense meaning that is able to be compacted into stanzas by the author and then extrapolated by the reader in millions of different ways that can positively impact everyone differently, even in ways the author didn't intend (when there are more meanings derived from a work that the one specifically intended by the author, which is natural considering everyone has their own individual biases and experiences that influence the ways in which they read and understand literature.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo right! poetry is such a wide spectrum of literature.  Poems for kids, Poems in the form of a song, Poems that have comedic purposes... Understanding poetry is a new thing I am learning.  Trying to find the meaning and what they were thinking, it's quite difficult but reveals a lot about the poem and the author.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman even when we were creating our own poems, I think meaning is the most difficult part period. Meaning definitely can help you stay connected to the poem, which is why creating an engaging but understanding poem can be difficult at times. I also feel like writing poetry has made understanding how poems work so much easier. This is one of the positives that I have taken from actually writing and planning them myself.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@bunkymoo what I find interesting about your post is when you spoke about "simpler poems". Because in reality I find that no poem can be simple it's really just the way we are taught to look at them and dissect them. I think that I was in the same boat around the timeframe you are talking but it didn't make sense at the time to go so in depth with those poems, now I feel like if we went back and look at some of those simpler poems we might find a deeper meaning with our open minded thoughts with poetry.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@bunkymoo for me it's following the rules of the specific poem I'm writing. We have had multiple different assignments in this class that have dealt with poetry and writing it, all with different standards and ideas attached to them. I think that if you have good ideas and have researched the material enough you should be able to come up with solid ideas. But the rhyming of words and following certain syllable patterns is where I find my trouble as I have to switch my words 5-10 times before it works and makes sense.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki I 100% agree. Though the author may have a certain intention in mind, it doesn't mean the reader's interpretation will replicate that. Everyone is different, so everyone's thinking and the way they view the world and literature will for sure differ from each other. This is inevitably going to affect the way people interpret things.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I agree! Poetry is like music in the way that there is soooooo many different kinds of music there is so many different kinds of poetry.  I really appreciate how this class has opened my eyes to so much new poetry and how to understand it better.  The different eras of poetry are interesting to me as well.  before this class I never would have thought that different periods of time would have different types or themes of poetry.  

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@snowyyeti I think it is kind of funny on how we are now just getting to this topic. We have been dealing with poetry for the past couple of months and have talked about pretty much every fundamental concept except this one. Think about it, every poem follows a rhythm. Doesn't music follow a rhythm to make it appealing? I like to think of it like writing a song with no music, and then singing it. Also on your comment about the comparison between genres of music and poetry I totally agree! 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo See my problem with poetry is that I always have a hard time making it relatable to a reader.  If it's supposed to be a sad or meaningful poem I feel like I can't write out that connection.  Another thing I end up thinking about though is that poets don't write to an audience they write to a person and they audience interprets that writing would you agree?  Because if so I think that would make poetry a lot easier.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman yes I do agree with you. What I do to understand poems better is try to put myself in the place that the author is writing it to. You don't have to personally relate to it, but you can understand emotion and get a vibe of what they are trying to say based off of how they are trying to get their point across. I don't know if this makes sense, but this is how I approach poems, and it helps a lot.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@snowyyeti I was thinking about your music comment, and it got me thinking on how we have favorite music, similar to how we have poems that we understand better. There are some poems that I can just connect to, whether it be I understand their emotion, or the rhythm, which makes the poem super easy to read. This compares to a favorite music genre like you guys were saying, and how you might connect with certain types of music better because of a good beat or good lyrics.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki Exactly! I know we are taught not to really make our own interpretations when it comes to analyzing. We we read I feel like we all make those personal connections to a piece sometime and that might skew the analysis. In this class we are taught to put those to the side when breaking down a poem, but we are still aloud to interpret it as we will after the non bias bit. I kinda like how we can now be unbias as we choose when we read a piece for class.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo That is very true. We were thrown these poems that we could pick apart in what, 10 minutes or something along those lines. I can agree in the sense that eras stand out to me way more then they did previous years. The era a poem is written in can say a lot about how you might go about interpreting it. Leaning how to work with each era and style of poetry in this class has proved to be very helpful.

ReplyQuote
Page 13 / 16
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking