Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

My True Love Hath M...

Notifications
Clear all

My True Love Hath My Heart  

Page 2 / 2

Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 I agree that this is a huge risk for two people to take. But I feel like that's what people tend to do when they love someone. On one hand, it seems like what's the point of loving someone if you aren't completely devoted to them? But on the other hand, I see what you're saying that it is risky to do. (But let's be honest, what do we ever do that isn't risky, even a little bit?) And if someone is allowing something like that to happen, I'm not sure they would be totally conscious or aware of it. I feel like it's something that kind of happens and isn't noticed until it goes too far or is gone (from heartbreak for instance). I don't think there is one right answer of "Is this good or bad?" I think it's a little bit of both. It's good because they're totally devoted to one another and they care for one another (and who doesn't want to be cared for or have some to care for?), but on the other hand it can kind of blind you in a way and these feelings can spiral out of control, like you were saying.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio I also saw the poem as an exchange between two lovers. For the most part, this poem was fairly easy to understand; I found the language to be very clear. The only part that confused me was when "wounded hearts" were mentioned. The rest of the poem was fairly optimistic and mostly focused on a person's love for another; when something painful was written, I was thrown off. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  
@stella I agree with the most confusing part being the mention of the wounded 
hearts. I stated previously
that the wounded hearts
most likely illustrate how
once they fell for each
other, their hearts were
doomed to be broken. Because
it is inevitable that one
of them will lose the other,
so in that sense their hearts
are wounded.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio, I actually saw this differently. I don't believe that all love is doomed or all relationships end in heartbreak, so I saw more as when one person feels pain, the other feels it too. Rather than something negative, I saw this as an extension of how much the two care for each other. I've also thought that the phrase "wounded hearts" could be about one's heart being pierced by Cupid; once again, this is a more optimistic interpretation than yours. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  
  • @nicole Yes. I mentioned their hearts as being doomed. This could tie into the “wounded hearts” theme that appears throughout the piece. Their exchange of hearts with one another will ultimately lead to a broken heart, as one of them is bound to lose the other.

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@stella I can see your perspective to an extent. However, I can’t help but disagree. The “wounded hearts” could be more optimistic, but that is not the tone of the poem. The poem is written as if they have been stricken by Cupid’s arrow and now there is no escape from their love to one another. It may not entail the inevitability of death or losing one another, but I think the tone still isn’t as optimistic.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio, this is a really good point. I see that "optimistic" wasn't really a great word to use in this instance. While I still don't see the sadness that you mentioned previously with inevitable heartbreak, I can see how to hearts being so connected could cause pain. Your point makes me wonder why the author would use "wounded hearts" and an allusion to being struck with an arrow if the poem seems to be about unconditional love. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@stella That’s something I questioned as well. I didn’t understand if the theme was supposed to be unconditional love or the concept of wounded hearts. I thought that wounded hearts was an illustration for Cupid’s arrow. Since falling in love each other in turn wounded their hearts. Is that what you think?

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xmysterio, I don't really know. All I can think of is maybe by sharing your heart with someone, as it's written in the poem, that you are leaving your heart more vulnerable to be wounded. No matter how much I think about this, the language seems a little out of nowhere. 

ReplyQuote
xmysterio
(@xmysterio)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@stella I see where you’re coming from. The sharing of hearts is brought up a lot and I feel that ties into the more commercial aspect that the writer writes about, as she describes their love as an exchange. I think the wounded hearts was meant to compliment that, as if the exchange taking place is in fact wounding their hearts in the process. I am also confused on how this might be, though. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking