Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forum check complete for 10/23/20. 

At this point, you should have ~35 total posts for 100%. Remember that you can post up to 8x/week for up to 150% per week, if you need to catch up! On MiStar and elsewhere, know that any points beyond 105% total will be reduced to 105% (District limit on extra-credit!)

Forum Credits (these do roll over to MP2):

• 3+ credits: Nicole, octavia, persephone, xwing37
  • 2 credits: abuzz, ahayo, aplitstudent, bunkymoo, Carla Tortelli, MangoMan, savhoisington, SnowyYeti, username27, Delphine
  • 1 credit: AnonymousParrot, stella, Jackson Von Habsburg, A2MOEOM2
Maintenance Points:
  1. The first few times you write, your post may be kept in moderation for my review. After that, posts should publish immediately. I just want to be sure who is posting and the substantive value of the post for people new to the forums!
  2. All posts should now be visible on all AP Lit boards. You should be able to post without problems (if you have a working chisnell.com username!). If this is not the case, please write mesteven.chisnell@royaloakschools.org
  3.  Remember that you must be logged in to post! If you do not see your chisnell.com username in the upper right of the page, you are not logged in and your "anonymous" post will not be approved. Are you one of the people who did not get a post approved? Maybe this was the reason. Contact me!
John Donne: A misog...

Notifications
Clear all

John Donne: A misogynist, or grieving husband?  

RSS

Persephone
(@persephone)
Topics
October 15, 2020 10:50 am  

In canvas, on the John Donne forums I saw a lot of people talking about how romantic and loving his poems are, but I have to disagree with that. I interpreted his poems as a loss of love rather than a new kind of love, because we have to remember that his wife died very early with giving birth to a stillborn, so Donne definitely has some trauma there. I had said all this in the forum and Mr.Chisnell responded with more or less; "remember that not all poems are being said by the poet, but sometimes a character." Which I thought was a good point, but even if it was a character, I still think his wife would have an affect on his poetry. In "go and catch a falling star" Donne says the following; "Nowhere lives a woman true and fair." I interpreted this as "now that my wife is gone, there is nobody as true and fair as her," but if it's true his wife passing has nothing to do with his poetry, that would just make him kind of sexist. So my question is; Is Donne a sexist, or a grieving husband?

wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 15, 2020 11:08 pm  

I did a little more reading into Donne's other works, and I found this one called "Love's Alchemy". To me it seemed to be about the mystery of love, and what actually makes the connection work. Perhaps this is just reading it at a surface level, but the final lines are

Hope not for mind in women; at their best
 Sweetness and wit, they'are but mummy, possess'd.
which really made me think: "Yeah, this guy is probably sexist." Again though, it might be the character saying it, and the language was very dense as to obfuscate what was actually being said. The lines just prior were about how the bodies do not marry, the minds do, and this section seems to indicate that women don't have much to offer intellectually even at their most capable.

I don't disagree that "Go and Catch a Falling Star" was about his wife though, I do think he was grieving. Of course though, you can be both sexist and love someone, otherwise the mindset would have died out with all of it's thinkers.

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 2:04 pm  

I agree with @persephone, although Donne's poems have a theme of love, that does not necessarily mean it's a new love- like they said it could just as easily be about a loss of love as well. I think his poems could very easily incorporate both. I had no idea about Donne's wife though, that definitely had to of had some impact on his life and writing.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
October 16, 2020 4:22 pm  

@salmon I'd have to agree with you. Though he sounds like a definite grieving husband, it doesn't mean he couldn't have also been sexist. His mindset represented in his poetry is interesting and maybe even a bit contradicting in this regard, but one thing to keep in mind is that he probably didn't realize this was a bad thing at the time because most people thought this way anyways. 

ReplyQuote
berryberrystrawberry
(@berryberry)
Initiate AP Lit 2021
Intern
October 16, 2020 8:26 pm  

I definitely agree with everyone on this that he is more reminiscing on love or what love he used to have instead of building on it.

ReplyQuote
DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 16, 2020 8:38 pm  

I think that Donne definitely had some sexist themes in his poems, however I felt upon reading the poems, that there was almost a contradiction in his messages of love. On the one hand as others have said, Donne heavily implied in some of his poems that women weren't smart, and that women weren't faithful either. I thought that these themes of portraying women as almost lesser than men were almost contradicted by the way that Donne talked about love being a combination of the two people involved. I don't mean this as a way of overlooking any sexism from Donne, however I just thought it was strange that someone would imply that women weren't smart, and then talk about how love meant him and the other person becoming two things combining into, or hemispheres of a world as Donne refers to it. I struggled to try and figure out this contradiction, because why would someone belittle a person that he later talks about as literally his other half.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 20, 2020 6:46 pm  

@leinweber I also found a contrast in Donne's thoughts of love. I agree that the sexism and misogyny was seen, however it toned down as life went on. His work "The Flea" was written well before his poem "Go And Catch a Falling Star" which seem to have some of the contradicting thoughts you bring up. While the first poem shows themes of peculiar seduction and thoughts on love, the later poem shows love as rare and valuable. My view is that his wife altered his meaning of love. The period between these poems was when he met his wife up until she passed. She may have been the one who showed him what true love truly is, hence the change of heart and meaning of love in "Go And Catch a Falling Star."

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Topics
October 22, 2020 12:50 am  

@salmon That's a really great interpretation! To be honest, I hadn't even thought of the idea that he could be both, but it makes a lot of sense. Perhaps he is a sexist who happened to find someone that he loved... It's possible even that my original quote could mean both! As in there's not another woman like her, and even she wasn't that great.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 22, 2020 12:34 pm  

@salmon I think that Dunne was a grieving man, but I'm not sure he is sexist. Maybe to a point you could argue it, but to me he seems to just be grieving his relationships with women in general not only his wife. What I mean by this is that his poems certainly do contain potentially sexist things in them, but to me it more sounded like he has been hurt by women so many times that he doesn't believe there are any good ones out there. For example in the quote @persephone provided,

Posted by: @persephone

"Nowhere lives a woman true and fair."

, he just seems to be hurt by women so many times to the point where he does not believe in a good one (other than his wife). So I wonder whether this was ill intentioned sexism or if he genuinely was hurt and conditioned to think this way

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 5:27 pm  

I would have to say that he is a bit of both at the same time. Although, first we must take the era of this writing into consideration. Was he writing in a way that people of his time would be repulsed by? Or was he writing in a fairy similar tone compared to others of his time? We would have to dive deep into other writings of love written in that time to truly understand, but I don't think we would able to make a just decision without doing so. Obviously if you compare his writing to the beliefs of society today, yes he is clearly sexist, but times have changed over the years to reach a point that we are at today. Maybe he was simply missing his wife, but in a style of writing that we are not used to. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking