Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Is Poetry a Replace...

Notifications
Clear all

Is Poetry a Replacement for Religion?

Page 4 / 4

wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 Exactly, and I think the structural nature of poems only serves to make them more effective. Even if it all came from being more easy to memorize, rhymes and meter and all the other little end bits of poetry serve to make it feel more complete. I believe that the more limiting the framework for something is, the better it can come out. For a topical example, writing a single sentence on a topic is so much harder than a whole paper, simply because you have so much less space to work, and from that can emerge something much better than an unrestricted work left to ramble on. Not to disparage any prose, or to claim that all poetry is good, but what I mean to say is that when a work can overcome the restrictions placed on it, it usually leads to pretty significant successes.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@alechayosh07 Something I found really interesting about the rhythm of poems was how in the video on Canvas, he mentioned that we already kind of have a certain rhythm when we talk, but we don't really realize. We naturally stress certain syllables, and you would "sound like an alien" if you stressed them differently. We already know in what rhythms our sentences should be written, but most of us don't know why and can't articulate it.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking