Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Icarus  

Page 5 / 5

xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella, I agree with what you said about living an average life. I feel like it can be tiring having all that knowledge and power. So it might be a break to just have a normal life with not too many worries. He might be uncomfortable with it at first but I think if he gave it a chance he might realize that it is a little better than his life before. Personally I feel like it would be cool being powerful but I also would get overwhelmed and I think I would enjoy a normal life after I experience it for a small amount of time.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@stella I don't see anything wrong with an average life either. Especially when the person who is living the average life is not aware of how average it is and what they are missing out on. The only person who can determine a person's life is less exciting is a person who knows more or has experienced something else above that person. The key part of this is that the person living that "average life" is still unaware that their life could be anymore. Therefore, they are able to live contently with what they have and are never doomed to constantly wish to experience something such as flying as Icarus had. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I feel like it was a good reminder to him and taught him a lesson about the things he has in his life. He used his wings recklessly and then lost them. Now he might be more careful in the future, knowing he could potentially lose the things that he once had. Being in a normal life makes him think about these things, and could be exactly what he needed; something to teach him his morals so he can fix his actions in the future.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I think this is a very simple way to look at this story,  as we know it's not a wrong interpretation of the story and it sends a good message, but I think from what we have talked about and the ideas we have brainstormed, that this is a "boring" way of interpreting this meaning.  I think there is something to say about an "average citizen" and what it does for you to know how someone else feels and lives.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I think the term average can be interpreted in so many ways. The way that you described contentment in that type of life is something I really agree with. The idea of living an average life can also be a repulsive one to some. Many people want to break away from that structure and move away from a life that is totally and completely structured around normality. I think this could be something to think about... I invite you to comment how you feel about living an "average" or "normal" life.

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber I think one reason for showing Icarus in a modern setting is to show that this is a problem that has happened for ages, and is still a problem today. It shows that this situation is in human nature, that it is still prevalent, even if it appears different. Basically it shows the connection of people over the ages, and how our problems don't go away or stop being a problem, they just present themselves differently.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nicole this is a really good thought, I never truly thought about it as a continuous theme. Referring to your point of this happening in modern setting because of the problem happening for ages. This idea adds a good amount of clarification for me on why he is put in this modern setting. His sense of loneliness and despair is actually something you could relate to current time. Majority of us are stuck at home staring at screens wishing we could go back to our old lives where everything was normal, or at least we thought was normal. Which provokes the thought of would the narrator ever accept his new normal like we have?

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07, I never really compared this to our lives now, but it's similar in a way. We never would have thought something like this would have happened a year ago. But here we are doing online school and a majority of us don't have anything close to our normal lives. This is very similar to Icarus because he had a great life and it all went downhill and then he was stuck in a worse life. To get to the point, we and Icarus have experienced a noticeable downgrade to our normal lives due to something that was for the most part out of our control. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 Coming from a middle class home, I fit the majority for kids that go to Royal Oak.  I never really put myself in Icarus' position but I think about this when I get over excited and arrogant .  I think if you don't fit Icarus' story you can at least use it as a way to check your own ego sometimes.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37, personally, I don't know how well Icarus would adapt to this type of lifestyle. In my opinion, I saw Icarus as someone who felt as though they are better than those around them. I don't know if I'm too harsh on him, but I think Icarus might have difficulty adapting to being "average."  

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking