Notifications
Clear all

Little Green Monster

Page 5 / 5

stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz, good point. It seems very possible to me that the women felt the monster coming. She appeared to be somewhat prepared and got over any fear she had over the monster very quickly. However long she was thinking of revenge must have prepared her to act when the situation arose. 

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@stella this makes sense. Why do you think that he values himself more than her? IS there any particular line that makes you think this way?

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki I think this because the monster talks about how much he loves the woman and how he came to the surface specifically for her. But when her thoughts turn to hurting him, all of what he said no longer matters. He acts in self-preservation, totally ignoring his love for the woman. 

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella

I agree, part of me does think that she had been at least somewhat prepared for the monster. Maybe not and actual green creature arising from the ground, but surely she had to have been prepared to face whatever the monster is supposed to represent. 

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella

That's actually a really interesting idea. Looking back now I can see how quickly the monster switches up his attitude towards the woman once he no longer feels he has the authority. I mean, story aside, this is manipulation at it's finest. Once a person no longer feels they have control over a person or a situation, often they turn to anger or aggression to try and manipulate the situation in their favor. As you alluded to, the monster's overall tone towards the woman could also just mean that it doesn't truly mean the things it previously said before the woman became hostile and violent (which is also a form of manipulation). 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 I think you articulated this really well. The idea that the monster is manipulating the woman seems to play into the idea that the monster actually represents some figure from her past. Manipulativeness is a very human thing, so it would make sense that the monster is the manifestation of a man who manipulated the woman before. 

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella I think everyone’s ideas are equally possible here when considering the backstory; the idea of monsters is so flexible and can be representable / applicable to many situations. I really like the perspective of trauma, and maybe her ‘wanting’ the monster to come in order to get revenge. But, this led me to think about healing. Perhaps she subconsciously wanted the monster to come, but in order to heal herself rather than specifically getting revenge, whether that was what happened or not. It could have been a subconscious ‘face-your-fears’, ‘love-your-enemies’ type of thing?

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@stella this is interesting! Are you saying that you think because the monster's purpose is the woman, her negative thoughts toward him cause his life to be wiped out?

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking