Notifications
Clear all

Little Green Monster

Page 4 / 5

stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon, the monster actually mentioned that it had known about the woman and was the reason that he crawled his way out of the ground. However, there is no explanation for how the monster knew that the woman existed. 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz, I feel like I'm misinterpreting what you're saying. Are you asking if she is actually the monster? That reason that the reason the monster knows her thoughts because it actually is her? If I'm not misinterpreting what you said, I would say that the woman either has extreme self-destructive tendencies or has some deeply-rooted trauma that somehow manifests itself in her daily life. Maybe she imagines the monster to act out some sort of revenge for something that she experienced. 

ReplyQuote
Nikki
(@nikki)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@stella I'm curious, what makes you think it could be stopped? I know you say that his number one priority is his woman. The way I see it, he will stop at nothing for her. I don't think there's anything that she could say or do that would diminish his motivations and perseverance. How do you see it?

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@nikki, I think the one thing the monster values a little more than the woman is himself. So for the sake of self-preservation, the monster will give-up on going after the woman. 

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella

There being no explanation for how the monster knew about her is one of the key points in trying to understand what the Little Green Monster is. Although the finite interpretation of the Monster is will be different for everyone based on their own personal biases or the influence of others' ideas on their own, the Monster brings to light certain possibilities through this lack of explanation as to his knowledge of her. I think that this means the Monster has a connection to her, and that it is not just an external entity. For it to crawl out of the ground to come talk to her, he knew where to dig (upwards) to and that she was there at the time. It is also reasonable to believe that it chose that time because it knew she would be alone during the day. If it is able to read her mind it could most likely read it to know where she is, and to read her mind in the first place, I feel that it is a part of her. My own interpretation is that the Monster is a part of her that manifests itself in a physical form of this Monster and that is why it knows her.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster, I really like your explanation. I think it makes the most sense from what information the story provided us. If we have established that the monster is a manifestation of some part of the woman, my biggest question is what part of her monster represents? If I had to guess, I would assume some sort of past trauma. But I could also see the monster manifesting self-hatred, the way that it demands to be loved. Also, the fact that this part of her manifests as a monster could reflect the way she sees herself. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 I really like your idea. I can see that coming to life within the story. We can tell she has never seen the monster before. I like the idea that the monster is something she has tried to push back and ignore. I'm just wondering what that something might be. What could she have suppressed down that much to get such a chaotic green monster appear in her backyard?

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@carlatortelli

I've pondered this same thing and while I don't have a definitive answer for it, I think that it honestly could be anything. Clearly something traumatic. I've seen some say that he was a manifestation of the memory of her rape, of someone she killed, or even of someone she once loved that left her heartbroken. All of these theories have some pretty solid evidence behind them so I'm not really sure which I believe the most but it's something I would absolutely be interested in looking further into. 

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella I was thinking pretty much that. Like if the monster is her "Id" and she is trying to suppress it. This idea of her impulsion and other "Id" characteristics would align with her "self-destructive tendencies" that you suggested. I guess I was thinking more along the psycho-analysis lines of the woman and the monster. I feel very strongly that this monster represents trauma though.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz, if this represents trauma, as you suggest, do you think that she wanted the monster to come? By having the monster come, she could exact some revenge to make up for the trauma she experienced. I felt like how she banished the monster was very detailed, almost like she had thought about it before. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 That makes a lot of sense in comparison to the overall story. I feel like any of those could fit in with the storyline. It is interesting how many ideas we can come up with. This really does back up the previous idea. These spark a new perspective on the story, its more complex then most thought. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I agree I don't believe she was being abusive, she was more then likely acting in defense. As you said this may have been trauma from a previous abusive situation like rape. She may have figured out how to hide her vulnerable side as the years past on from that situation, to where when things like abuse happen she shuts down and goes into defense mode. That may be a reason to why we didn't see as much emotion within her as she was fighting the monster off. This may lead some to thinking she was abusive because of that emotion. I don't really think that her emotion would portray an abusive situation to he monster, because of how the monster acted upon her no matter what she did.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 I really like your thinking! this is a really cool idea, especially how you incorporated the tree. The fact that the monster my be a truth and or truths she is ultimately putting to the side is very interesting. The monster only became visible when she pushed those thoughts back too far, and simultaneously obsessing over them being gone. She maybe wanted those thoughts to be gone so bad that she basically obsessed over them to a point where there is now a physical adaptation to those thoughts/truths.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 This is an interesting take. So her avoiding whatever the monster was, was a sort of coping mechanism. When faced with the monster that coping strategy is thrown out the window, I almost feel as though she portrayed a sort of survival instinct. When that something finally confront someone, they'll do what they need to survive the event. I don't necessarily think she needed to accept the monster, or work with it. I do like your idea its a new perspective for me to think on:)

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@stella Or maybe how you state that she has almost thought about it before, perhaps it was more that she felt that it was coming. I do not think she wanted it to come, just from the ideas of intrusion and disturbance. It may be that this trauma was boiling in her mind, waiting to erupt. And yes! Revenge of the trauma is exactly what those gruesome details could entail.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking