Clear all

First Impressions Of Kafka on the Shore

Page 4 / 4

MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@theboulder Yeah I noticed that a little too late. I was trying to decipher why Oshima's car was dark green. I guess it's something of a western thing to decipher and try to gain understanding of every single things. 🙁

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@madams43 when i first started reading I loved these sections as well!! Documentaries an d crime shows are my favorite things to watch, so this really peaked my interest. I love the contrast of the seriousness of these parts to the almost relatable parts where Kafka is narrating, It really pulled me in. 

Posted by: @madams43

I love when books have separate storylines that come together at a certain point.

I also agree with this!! this aspect has made it much more suspenseful

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@klynnph I was feeling the same! While I was excited to read something new/ different, but reading the back cover about magical or mystical fish falling from the sky, spirits leaving bodies, ect. really turned me off. I'm not one for big supernatural tales, but this is actually very different and much deeper than that. I love the way it is set up and the mystery aspect is very entertaining to me as well. I like the fact that there are so many loose ends, it keeps it interesting!

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz I am not a big reader at all but I am also so invested in this book as well.  Aside from the layout, which I also like a lot, I really like the style of his writing.  On the surface it is somewhat of an easy read and its easy to follow but when you start thinking about what is going on, this book is anything but easy.  I love that Murakami can make what seems to be a simple dream-like book and make it have significant meaning.  Also, on the layout, i love that it seems like there are two completely different story lines and slowly connections start to come up between the two storylines and I like trying to figure out the connections while reading. 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @klynnph

I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy reading this book...

Me neither! I feel like once I got to middle school my love for reading had completely evaporated, but I feel like this book has reignited that flame for me. I really enjoy the language the book uses, and like mentioned previously it is much easier to understand than say flatland. That being said, I found it easier to decipher the themes of the previous book we've read, and after finishing KOTS, I still find myself trying to figure out the meaning...

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @snowyyeti

On the surface it is somewhat of an easy read and its easy to follow but when you start thinking about what is going on, this book is anything but easy.

Thank you for putting it into words! After finishing the novel I still find myself unsure on what the exact theme is, and I think I will have to spend a few nights thinking about it haha. Not to mention the book leaves a few aspects unanswered, it makes it all that much more difficult...

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti One thing that has seemed to occur time and time again in this dream-like world is that Nakata and Kafka rarely seem to be awake at the same time. Many of the chapters end with one of them falling asleep or already being asleep. Though it is not every chapter, it seems to happen quite often. This may have something to do with their conscious and/or unconscious minds working together. 

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think this story has done the same thing to me and wants me to explore more books and genres I never would have through to read. I usually dread reading books for several different reasons but this one I really enjoyed reading. I read 175 pages in one day which I don't think I have ever done in my lifetime. This story was not too hard to follow but kept me thinking about what I had just read and how it would play out in the future. One of the main reasons I enjoyed the story was because Kafka is an exciting character with many things to like about him but also has a lot of flaws. Kafka is unpredictable at times and that makes the story a lot more entertaining for readers and harder to put the book down.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@gardella I completely agree. As I read this book, I kept finding myself not wanting to put it down because I always wanted to know what would come next. While the themes may be a bit different and harder to determine compared to the other novels we have studied in this class, I found this book to be easier to read. I enjoyed the way it was written and the flow of the story. There was rarely a moment where I became bored of reading it, because there always seemed to be a new adventure going on. This has been my favorite book all year I think just because I was able to read it, picture it, and understand it the easiest.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking