Clear all

First Impressions Of Kafka on the Shore

Page 3 / 4

Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@msar

I agree I also really like the  Open Mind of the characters and events that we can look into the character's mind can have read what they're thinking on the super super deep level. I think it's something I really like about his work. Feels more like a conversation between my own mind and myself . That's why I really like and I appreciate his work. Also I feel like it's really interesting the way you put in Western  references in there so it kind of makes it a lot easier for me to pick up  go onto how Japan and he had such were laying in the way so it's really cool and I like the work so I'm excited read a lot more of it. some deeper messages because he uses symbols that we can understand. And that's why I was saying I don't like having Japanese symbols because I think Japan has a really interesting culture but I'm just not as well versed. So some things would just go over my head. So think having a mixed kind of good and  go onto how Japan and he had such were laying in a way so it's really cool and I like the work so I'm excited read a lot more of it.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@jacksonvon Yes, everytime notice some unusual sentence that I don't fully understand or I believe there might be an underlying message I look it up on google or what I believe the idea or message is and I don't find a whole lot about the topic or what it imposes. The only resource online that I know of that seems useful is Chisnell.com/project/murakami/#strategies. and going to his insightful youtube videos to help me develop ideas that where right under my nose this entire time!

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @theboulder

He only likes libraries and gyms, places where people leave other people alone.

I had realized he was anti-social but honestly I did not even make this connection, so kudos to you! As far as first impressions go, while I am behind right now, I really enjoy it so far! It's just one of those books that I plan to read maybe one chapter and end up reading 5 yknow? 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone, I agree, I keep finding myself reading much more than I plan on. I sit down and expect to read for about 30 minutes and then I look at the time and it has been two hours. So far I'm really liking the book and one of the biggest reasons is because of the language. I really had a hard time with Flatland especially and being able to read this book now makes it much easier. The language is easier than Flatland but I think there's still a complex theme that is yet to be explored.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@xwing37 I couldn't agree more. Though the ideas are complex and still might take a minute to understand at first the language is much easier to process. I don't have to spend 30 minutes reading a paragraph to try and dissect the meaning. Chisnell had said this would be a calm refresher when it came to our reads and I'm glad he wasn't lying to us. Because some of our previous reads have really beaten me down. 

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 - I completely agree. It is a lot calmer of a read, but because of this I have been really trying to think about meaning while I am reading. With IM I feel like it took me a lot longer to get through the pages, while with Kafka, it is easier to read, but I am still spending similar amounts of time really just thinking about what is going on despite it being easier.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon The amount of thought put into each detail of the novel really drew me in. Kafka gets down to the minute observations of what a person is wearing, the architecture of the libraries and stores he encounters, and even describes points down to when he dyed the sink washing the blood off of his shirt. I also am in favor of the more Western references. They aren't overbearing, just enough so that I still follow. For Kafka's storyline at least it is also easier to relate to since he is closer to our age.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@msar I have been using a lot of Chisnell resources that can go and help me come and read the novel. also, I have been having a lot of fun with this novel I have been reading a lot of the book and it is come and find something new things to read about the novel. now something I have been doing is reading large sections of the novel which I think makes it easier to read the novel. I think that something that can come and help all of you guys 

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz

I really do like this part of the novel and I really think that Kafka  is part is really the better part of the novel at least Amaya pee and I'm having more fun reading it. And that's not to say that the other part of the novel is bad but I really think that the part with Kafka  is the better part of the novel. So that's something really I think is a cool thing to look at. like I said I'm really having a lot of fun read this. Whatever a lot of the book so far so I think you guys are having a lot of fun writing this book depending on where you are.  Kafka and his story I just really intriguing to me and I'm really excited to figure out what happens next.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@jacksonvon I will surely take a look at the resources provided and this book is already a fun read because of the culture it is letting us take a look at and the portrayal of us as westerners.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@xwing37 I agree with you the language is a lot more modern and uses contractions a lot more which is what we use a lot more of today. Or maybe its the person who translated it that found it alot easier to read through modern language used today. But I believe that all the language is written as close as possible to Murakami's actual meaning he means to send the reader.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@jacksonvon I would also like to mention that I've been reading Kafka on the Shore like I've read IM because of the way it uses its language. And based of what we have seen and discussed with mister chisnell. Every sentence was put there on purpose to give you an insight and a possible discovery of something valuable to the meaning. Reflecting upon paragraph that catch my eye and looking the phrase or what I believe the meaning to be, so I can truly grasp what the book wants me to.

ReplyQuote
TheBoulder
(@theboulder)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@msar I tried to do this too! I personally found that there was less "meaning" if you want to call it that in Kafka. In Invisible Man every single sentence meant something. In Kafka, I haven't recognized as much symbolism. This novels plays more with surrealism and distorted reality, not so much hidden links.

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy reading this book... at all. Usually with school when I get assigned a book it takes me weeks to even make it through the first chapter, I have like 0 attention span. But I'm really enjoying Kafka so far, the characters are interesting and the book has a sort of flow to it that makes it easier to read. 

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@msar I have definitely noticed a great amount of imagery and detailed description in nearly every sentence of Kafka on the Shore. It is quite different from IM, but I see why you are comparing them since it was the only lengthier read we have had in this class. IM also gave us a basis for how to dissect a text, how to derive meaning from the most convoluted phrases and ambiguous sentences. These technical skills have helped me greatly in trying to uncover things in Kafka on the Shore.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking