Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Rinehart and Identi...

Notifications
Clear all

Rinehart and Identity

Gil
 Gil
(@gil)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topic starter  

I found chapter 23 really interesting and crucial in terms of IM's identity. This Rinehart character-it is intriguing that we never actually meet him, but we slowly learn all about him. Even more fascinating is IM's realizations while "being Rinehart". IM really plunges deep into his ideas about invisibility. As Rinehart, people did not even question if it was really him, until he spoke up and said, "I am not Rinehart,"  and even then, some people, like the police still didn't believe him. No wonder he feels invisible! During this, we begin to see more and more that the brotherhood are not interested in helping those that need it-they are so focused on there big picture. The title of this book is becoming extremely clear within this chapter, if it wasn't before.

During this chapter, IM really questions his identity. He speaks of starting over, and being a different person when no one knows him. He also said that all the people he has met have shaped him one way or another. When reading this, I thought about my future and I could kind of relate to IM. I thought of starting college and how I will almost have a new identity and how being there will shape my identity. It's freeing but also pretty scary. Did anyone else ponder their own identities as IM thought about his?

What were you guys thinking during this chapter? What were your thoughts on Rinehart's multiple identities? Curious to hear your thinking!

MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

During this chapter, I was waiting for IM to leave the brotherhood for once and for all after he found out of their true motives and not what they said to the public. But for this experience to come in this chapter was quite unprecedented. Although it fits the story's meaning well and it helps IM further develop as a person and helps him recognize that he is just a number or a pawn, It was just quite surprising seeing him just trying to hide from the public. And seeing that develop to the point where he draws conclusions about what he should do with his life.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I found myself being frustrated at the fact that we never actually get to meet Rinehart--- that he just lingers throughout the last few chapters without being unfolded. It wasn't until having a discussion in class that I realized that this was the exact intent of what he is supposed to portray in the novel. Being a master of invisibility, we don't have to meet him to understand who he is and what he stands for; his entire character is just as described. He's a gangster, a minister, and could be just about anything in between. He has decided to leave his life behind to become something he isn't, but that makes his identity someone who wears a mask (or many).

Gil liked
ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I also pondered the idea of my own identity after highschool is over. It is kind of scary for me to think about, but like OP said, very freeing. As far as Rineheart goes, I found myself a little frustrated that we never met him, and even though we learn all about him, I still feel like there was something missing when I finally finished the book. Anyone else feel this way?

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think it's safe to say you don't know, even if you think you have everything mapped out you don't really know what will change.  I think it's something we should accept.  You spend so much time worrying about what could go wrong and trying to forcefully figure everything out, that you miss out on the good parts of life.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking