Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forum check complete for 10/23/20. 

At this point, you should have ~35 total posts for 100%. Remember that you can post up to 8x/week for up to 150% per week, if you need to catch up! On MiStar and elsewhere, know that any points beyond 105% total will be reduced to 105% (District limit on extra-credit!)

Forum Credits (these do roll over to MP2):

• 3+ credits: Nicole, octavia, persephone, xwing37
  • 2 credits: abuzz, ahayo, aplitstudent, bunkymoo, Carla Tortelli, MangoMan, savhoisington, SnowyYeti, username27, Delphine
  • 1 credit: AnonymousParrot, stella, Jackson Von Habsburg, A2MOEOM2
Maintenance Points:
  1. The first few times you write, your post may be kept in moderation for my review. After that, posts should publish immediately. I just want to be sure who is posting and the substantive value of the post for people new to the forums!
  2. All posts should now be visible on all AP Lit boards. You should be able to post without problems (if you have a working chisnell.com username!). If this is not the case, please write mesteven.chisnell@royaloakschools.org
  3.  Remember that you must be logged in to post! If you do not see your chisnell.com username in the upper right of the page, you are not logged in and your "anonymous" post will not be approved. Are you one of the people who did not get a post approved? Maybe this was the reason. Contact me!
IM's Grandfather's ...

Notifications
Clear all

IM's Grandfather's Curse  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

abuzz
(@abuzz)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 14, 2020 11:12 am  

@stella I more viewed the situation at Golden Day as the opposite. The veterans in the bar were comparing Mr. Norton to all kinds of white people of power, such as Thomas Jefferson. While IM treats Mr. Norton well, I believe he does this out of service. He is acting with upmost respect to Mr. Norton to make sure Dr. Bledsoe sees he was well taken care of. Regarding IM's grandfather, I think only time will tell us whether he has disappointed his grandfather or not. With knowing how his story ends because of the Prologue, I am currently unsure whether he will please his grandfather's words or not. He does keep alluding the his grandfather though so I think it will be the act of piecing all of his experiences together to see.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 3:51 pm  

@Stella - It is very evident throughout many stages in the novel that IM treats white people with an almost godly prescence. To answer your question, I'm not sure that IM realizes his failure in listening to his grandfather's curse. I get a feeling from IM that it is almost a natural instinct to act this way so that he can try to get ahead and advance. Unfortunately, as the novel goes, he has to continually sacrifice his morals in order to achieve the next step just like his grandfather had said.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 5:43 pm  

@username27 I feel like grandfather's curse will never be resolved throughout this piece. It is present with each conflict that IM encounters but only subtly and never in the spotlight. I think at this point, Ellison just wants us on our own to come up with a conclusion as to what philosophy will bring about the greatest good: IM's or Grandfather's?  I personally agree with the grandfather's philosophy but each has its own drawbacks. 

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 5:57 pm  

IM's grandfathers curse is a very interesting part of the book especially after learning about Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois.  These are two very influential black men of their time and both encompass two very different ways of thinking when it comes to racial equality.  The grandfather felt like a traitor because of how he was such a "yes man" to the white folk and then throughout the book we see people who take this "yes man" position (bledsoe) and men like the grandad that completely disagree with this position and I find it interesting how different views of paths of racial equality different folks take.  I would like to know what you guys think is the best way, Washington or DuBois.

ReplyQuote
MSAR
 MSAR
(@msar)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 6:19 pm  

In my reading of Booker T. Washington's speech of "cast a bucket where you stand" I noticed how after the his huge acclaimed success and everyone praising him including the black community. Until a couple of days later after the were clear of the blinding hype and started to cold read his speech. Their supposed happiness based off of the happiness of the whites was quickly gone. They began to question Washington's approach to the speech because it didn't call for any social justice and didn't condemn the actions of the racist south. This reminded me of IM because according to Washington's followers, he was not looking out for them. Or to say it differently, he was conforming to the whites expectations and pleasing them instead just like IM. Its a little connection I made with my interpretation of the speech and some of the sources Mr.Chisnell shared along with the speech.

ReplyQuote
DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 6:27 pm  

@snowyyeti I personally think that W.E.B Dubois' ideas make a lot more sense to me, however I think that the Grandfather's curse aligns a lot with the ideas of Washington. The grandfather basically told IM that he should try and stay within the system that society has created, and try and conform to the way things are. This is in contrast to Dubois' idea of trying to push for change through education. In my opinion this is a better strategy to achieve racial equality, because without education, there would be no speakers or writers like Washington and Dubois to come up with the ideas to further equal rights.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking