Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Notifications
Clear all

Traitors

Page 5 / 6

a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 That would be really fun, and it definitely would promote more students to get involved with the battles. Maybe a 2x of the points earned as a reward, or maybe a piece of equipment that will be helpful in another battle. I think what would be especially interesting is a secret clue about one of the people on the other side that you are on about what group they're involved in. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone This is true, the ratio being given to us really changed the game. It makes things a lot more risky, and both morals and rationale start to come into play here. We have to think of what we should do strategically to avoid putting targets on our backs, but also what is morally right when it comes to these attacks, or if morals should be considered at all/

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia - I think morals should be considered to an extent. However, it really just is a game and if someone attacks and kills another person's game character, it really isn't the end of the world. With this being said, I'm not saying we should start attacking each other at the random especially as we now know the ratio of Guardians to Marginalia. I think despite morality not really being the biggest factor, we should still be careful about which decisions we make in the game if they matter or not.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon, I agree, I feel like we had a period of a bunch of people attacking and defending. But since then it has been very quiet and I really haven't seen much. So like you said I think it takes a few people on one side to spark things up. I wonder what would happen if one side didn't do anything? Would the other side keep doing stuff or would they just give up on the game too?

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@username27 I've noticed that the number of attacks have died down too. I think part of the reason could be that maybe a person attacked someone and lost, and is now nervous to risk it again. I think everyone is afraid of dying and missing out on what the rest of the game has to offer. I think another reason for less attacks could be less interest in the game since people have already become familiar with most things and don't have as much to explore now.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 - You bring up some really good points. I agree. I personally have attacked and I ended up losing points. I am now kind of scared to attack again, but it's not really because I am afraid of dying in the game. I can't really put my finger on what I am afraid of when attacking, maybe being exposed. Anyways, it seems weird to me that the attacking has decreased so much. You would think that at this stage in the game people would be attacking left and right. Maybe it is people jumped the gun so early at the first chance we got to attack and saw the consequences.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27, I agree, I feel like the marginalia who attacked early and lost may have scared the others away. Maybe they didn't know that it would be hard to kill the author and/or maybe they didn't know there was a point deduction. I'm not really sure what to expect for the rest of the game because everything that has happened so far has been unexpected.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I wonder if we're ever going to find out everyone who at least are in the same group as us. Like maybe by the end of this class, or even randomly throughout this year, it would be fun but really intense if random people were just revealed weekly. Also, I know we go by usernames so we will never be able to figure out who is who in real life simply looking at the info on the leaderboard, but I wonder if true TRUE identities will ever be revealed. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 It's interesting you say it like that, because there's a number of ways any given person is represented, by their real names on canvas forums and in class discussions, by their forum names on here, and by their names on the leaderboard. I think it would be a very interesting puzzle to try and fit each person with their two alternate names by analyzing writing style and any small details that come out about their actions. Certainly more work than it's worth, but it's totally possible and would make probably be a really fun activity.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon This is such a great point! I feel like it would really allow us to engage with the game activities more and bring us all together. I never considered turning this into an activity, but this could really benefit us if we actually try to do it.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon it is kinda a fun game to try to figure out which one of your classmates is one of the factions. I know I have been having fun trying to figure it out by putting the ideas of my fellow classmates and trying to see what they are saying on the forums to try and figure it out. I think you can also say a lot about what you believe as a person can show what faction that they believe can show what faction they could have sided with

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon And that just leads one to wonder how involved this actually is. Based on the combat activity, I doubt anyone is playing too seriously, but it's definitely possible people could be hiding themselves by bringing up ideas that seem counter to their faction. Perhaps when things kick back up this will actually happen, but playing a role to that end would be a very interesting concept.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon

I agree that it is a fun game to have integrated into the course. I think that the overall participation would be a lot higher if we had a traditional school year. This is because having day to day in-person social interactions with people and not knowing who is who increases the mystery and tension. Right now it is mostly an extra thing to do if there isn't much else to do. I very much do appreciate the detail in which the course is developed regardless of the online utilization.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

@a2m0n2 I agree. I feel like the people who are playing the game have had their identities shown, and those that have not had their identities shows aren't really that involved. But a lot of people are now identified, which makes it easier to battle each other on certain assignments, and stuff like that. I hope that more is revealed for the future of the game!

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon I never thought about how what faction people chose could reveal about them! I thought of it as just game stuff, but now that you mention it, you could definitely learn about people from what faction they chose. This could for sure be a psychological thing.

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking