Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Traitors  

Page 4 / 5

username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 - I think it might take awhile too. I think people jumped the gun at the beginning because they weren't really aware of the consequences. Now that people are aware, people are much more reluctant to attack. I'm not sure if people are just scared to lose points, scared of the consequences or just don't want to attack. It looks to be useful if you actually think you can win the attack. 

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@username27 I think you're spot on with your speculation. I think it's in large part due to the uncertainty levels. No one knows what level the author you're defending/attacking is. I think we would see a lot more action if someone figures out the levels of every single author. 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington though I think we are trying to kill each other with more thought on the topic what if that isn't the goal? What if the game isn't about protecting authors and slaying them? I believe that the game is going to come to a point where both sides meet at a point where we must work together to either slay something or come together to forge something... I'm not sure that's just my observation. 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@a2m0n2 I've seen this same pattern of a lack of interest and less battles. I hope that there is something like a twist in the game coming up to spice it up a little bit. I personally would like to find out more people's identities. Mine has already been revealed and I haven't had any further targets on my back so far so I don't think anyone should be afraid to make a move.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 Hmm about the one to one ratio: do we know that it is about the true marginalia? What i mean by this is some marginalia have no been exposed. It could be quite possible that they have been counted as guardians and we just don't know it. I hope this is not the truth but I am not certain.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz

I believe that this is counting all of the actual guardians and marginalia. Given how few marginalia have actually been exposed it wouldn't make sense because there is a much different ratio if it is going by the exposed/known marginalia vs the currently labeled guardians. I find it intriguing that it is an almost even split. I really expected there to be a bias to one side or the other. The actual results took me by surprise! I am excited to see how the conflicting factions deal with each other!

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz, I got it from a Kahoot awhile ago. It asked what the ratio of guardians to marginalia is and I put 3:1 and it was wrong. The right answer was 1:1, I found this super interesting. Maybe it could be wrong and it could just be Chisnell's way of making us think differently but that's where it came from.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

I agree that the 1:1 ratio is very interesting... While it is good to know, I also feel that this may also be the reason for a lot of the uncertainty we're seeing in attacking actual players. Because what happens if we come to a stalemate where we're not sure who is marginalia or not? At that point it's a 50/50 shot and potentially killing an ally. Although I never think it would come to that, it's worth thinking about.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

Adding onto my previous post: Not to mention that if we successfully kill a marginalia agent, we know that since it's a 1:1 ratio, the probability of being targeted next is VERY high. So it turns into "Do I want to take out this traitor and put a target on my back?" That being said, this is all speculation, because without having any real evidence we cannot really predict what will happen, or the marginalias motives to begin with.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think when you say

Posted by: @persephone

At that point it's a 50/50 shot and potentially killing an ally.

that is really important. I was on the idea that the more and more identities we can expose the better standing we will be in, but to do that we need to attack the unknown first. I wonder if we could attack gently and not aim to kill, only to expose? But, again, that is hard to keep control of

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone  You have to also keep in mind that when there is a fight between two characters, a death will not always result.  There are injuries too.  But still, you bring up a good point about being very careful with who you choose to attack.  Reading this forum makes me realize paying attention and gathering intel is very, very important. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I agree. I think this forum has really helped us plan strategy and realize we shouldn't just go at it without thinking first. The Kahoot gave us a really great piece of information with the ratio of 1:1 because now we know what we're really up against, and this forum is a great place to discuss it.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@persephone We certainly can't predict what may happen. However, who knows if all this speculation will pay off. From what it seems, there is very little ongoing activity. Perhaps maybe action may pick up in a week or so or it may stay stagnant. 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I would like to think that possibly early second semester we might get more information on this part of the game? Because I mean right now I feel as though everyone is sitting around waiting for someone to make the first move and personally I think it will act as a domino effect, and eventually lead to your description of a stalemate due to the 1:1 ratio. I never doubt Chisnell when it comes to creativity but this is super cool that he has created this two side campaign to go along with his classwork. It might just come down to killing a friend rather than a foe, but we still have a lot of story to get through before we get to that moment. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot At this point it's almost a sort of standoff, where whoever moves first gets a leg up. If it's all calm and ignored now, nothing happens, but once one side makes a movement, it'll probably rile up and motivate the other side. I'm curious to see if that's correct, since it seems like a simple game of retaliation when reduced like that.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking