Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Traitors  

Page 2 / 5

stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot, I agree. The goal of the Marginalia is in direct opposition to ours. If we keep them alive, it will only hurt our cause. They seem to have no regard for morality when they kill the authors, so I don't think it's necessary for us to have to consider morality when we defend the authors. This is also the only way to defend the authors, so either we give up on defending the canon or do something that could be considered morally wrong. 

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@stella Glad you agree with my point. The real question is who exactly are the authors were defending and how exactly can we predict which ones will be targeted next. 

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

The whole traitor aspect really makes mean wonder about this game. For all we know, the majority of us could have sided with the marginalia, wanting to be the mystery/the black sheep within our classes. It could even be the other way around, with barely any marginalia. Without us knowing the true stats of the game, it really makes me wonder what might come in the future of the battle between the marginalia and the Academy. Will the fights just stay as one on one, or will Chisnell bring a war like scenario to the game? Guess we will have to find out. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 that is an interesting idea. I think it's definitely possible for the two sides to go against each other. I am still confused about the whole aspect of the game though. What is the point of killing and defending the authors? What is the overall goal that both sides are trying to achieve in the game? I guess I haven't really put much thought into what each role does, and how it affects each other's sides.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 when I saw this thread I immediately thought of a war. The game that the class has offered is actually a lot of fun and brings some excitement to school during these times. Now an all out war between the two sides would be quite interesting. But does anyone else have any ideas on how this might end up? I'm curious. Now I know that in the story line we are still adventuring if you will call it that and running into more people who give us hints. I am excited to see the end of this and how it will all pan out. 

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 War... I didn't really think of that. I definitely see the Marginalia as being a rebel group, and depending on which side you are on a group seeking to destroy society or a group that is promoting the better good of the people. The hardest part for me is knowing who is actually good or not. Surely we have the bolded red and blue names on the game stats but there is so much secrecy that it is hard to depict a person from a game name. Then the idea of trust comes into play... So yes, war as in two sides trying to defeat one another but also there are some imposters and much secrecy that it entails. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2, to respond to you saying a bunch of us may have sided with marginalia or vice versa, Mr. Chisnell mentioned in class last week that the marginalia to guardian ratio is 1:1. So it's a completely even war between the two which really made me rethink the game. I was under the impression that there were going to be a lot more guardians then marginalia, but I guess it's a pretty even match between the two.                            

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27Is there a way to extract information from the marginalia like you mentioned? What information would be extracted and could info be extracted from defenders of the canon?  I also do not think that all of the marginalia are alive or dead.  I think that the best way to go is killing maybe every other one.  I think that leaving all of them could be too much of a threat to the canon.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I agree. I think with any game like this we have no idea what could happen, or if new rules come into play, ect. Also, like you said, there could very well be benefits to keeping both sides alive. I feel like it is so early in the game, as well as Chisnell has said it is about to get much more extreme, so I think that playing slow and cautiously right now is key

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti, I agree, I too was also interested with what type of information would actually be extracted. Maybe information on who else is part of the marginalia or who the marginalia is planning to attack. But I do think that if the marginalia doesn't get killed off soon this could leave a problem for us. It might come to the point where they are attacking too many different authors and we won't be able to catch up.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I am on the same page. I want to know the end game of this. Are we trying to kill all of the marginalia/ vice versa? Are we trying to have more total points than the opposing side? Another thought: Mr. Chisnell is known for mind games and thinking outside of the box, so well we end up being punished for harming each other in an attempt to prove a point? Haha I think there really could be ANYTHING in the future

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I like this point you are bringing up as well. Originally I have been thinking that it would be best to hold off on attacking because the game (especially this aspect of it) is all so new. But, when you say, 

Posted by: @xwing37

if the marginalia doesn't get killed off soon this could leave a problem for us. It might come to the point where they are attacking too many different authors and we won't be able to catch up.

It shifts my thinking. I think that this maybe should be a proactive battle

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 I was also really surprised when this came up in the Kahoot last week. I too expected there to be many more guardians than marginalia. So, when a few were exposed I felt as though there were only a few left, but clearly that is not true. Also, in the message the Guardians received, I originally didn't feel super threatened about the undetected marginalia that were in the message and believed that if there were only a few they couldn't cause much harm. However, knowing there are so many of them is a helpful piece of information and shifts the game a bit for me.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@savhoisington Too add onto this, I also think it is time we be mor eporactive. Seeing as there's many marginalia still out there that we haven't identified, it would be foolish to not attack some people to discover their true identities now. Chisnell says that this game will be become more complex, so maybe getting something like that out of the way first would be beneficial for our future gameplay. It is very hard to fight enemies when we cannot identify who they are.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, this was definitely a reality check for us because like you said, I wasn't too concerned about the marginalia. But now that I know that it's actually a pretty fair fight I'm playing the game a little differently. But we will see as the game moves on and how many attacks they attempt on the authors.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking