Clear all

Traitors

Page 1 / 6

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

As I'm sure you guys have noticed, as authors are defended successfully, the identity of marginalia assassins within our class are disclosed. This is great with the idea of rooting them out before any real damage is done, but what else can we do? We can attack them and kill them obviously but at that point we're committing murder as a means to justify murder/attempted murder. I wonder if there is a way to get information on other assassins from already disclosed ones, or maybe info on the marginalia itself. Curious to know what you guys think! My main question here is: What can we do with knowing who is part of the marginalia?

xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I too have been wondering on how to find out who's part of the marginalia. I feel like we shouldn't attack to kill but attack to weaken. They're already weakened due to the attacks that were unsuccessful on the canon author. I feel like there will definitely be repercussions if we kill them. Anyone else have thoughts? 

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

You bring up a good point @persephone.  I never brought morals into the game.  I always just thought that you just killed or tried to kill the marginalia when they were found.  Maybe that thought just comes from my mindset when it comes to call of duty, kill kill kill.  I wonder if there is anything else we can do with the marginalia.  I wonder too if we as defenders of the canon could extract information.  That would be perfect for our cause.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I have been wondering this myself a lot lately. What is the point of killing them if they are already exposed? Sure, just getting rid and not having to worry about them is a goal, however, I wonder what larger purpose this might have. Is there something to be learned from those who turned over to the marginalia? I wonder what it was that made them turn to the other side. I feel like morally it doesn't seem like we should kill them all off. I think something can be learned from them if they are alive.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

I agree with all of these. I think that although they were exposed, they were weaken pointwise and they are also much weaker considering that we now know their identities. I think working with them as in getting information from them or finding a larger purpose could be beneficial. Especially considering that we only know a few of the marganialia's identities, so maybe these few people could lead us to learning more about the marginalia and its other members. I also do question the morals of killing someone. Because it hasn't happened yet, we don't know what the consequences will be, or if there will be any. I say we definitely wait as far as killing them off at least for now.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 Yes I agree with you, these marginalia are quite tricky but I think we are getting very good intel on them.  On the terms on morally killing someone I ask you this,  the people we are "killing" are digital and don't effect the real world.  Do you feel remorse for taking someone with a silly name out of a digital game in a literature class?

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

the only thing is if we leave the traitors alive we don't actually know how many of them are actually which could pose a big problem because they will start to gang up on those of us who are guardians of the cannon. If we go ahead and not kill any of the traitors but they are willing to kill us off we are going to have a big problem in the future because some of the guardians may be attacked and killed off because of this. Also their arent any real problems that I see if we go ahead and kill off someone who is a tratior. This has what I've been thinking about let me know what you guys think

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@mangoman I don't necessarily feel bad morally for killing them when considering them to be other students. Rather, I wonder if the game will have reproductions for making an immoral choice to kill someone. The game has a lot of twists and I wonder if that could be one of them that we could possibly predict. Also, as @jacksonvon was mentioning, we must also find a balance of exploring the game further without being killed first.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

A big part of it is understanding, because it's hard to know what you should do if you don't know the significance of an author dying. Why do the marginalia really want to kill these authors, and why do we even want to protect them? I feel like it's such a bad idea to take action without having all the information, but it always feels like there's something else that could be known.

Dying is also a very attractive idea, just because it seems like something that would be so unique and give a wildly different perspective on the class. On that same token though, I don't wanna miss out on the main thing, so it's a dilemma.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I really don't think there is much to do with knowing who is. It just makes it easier to direct attacks at an individual instead of guessing blindly. I don't think there is a moral lens we need to look through. Why not just simply eliminate them? Our goal is to defend the canon so if we eliminate them, aren't we supporting our goal? The truth of the matter is, we can't hold them hostage and make them spill out names. It's just that we know who we should watch out for and direct our attacks. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but I remember Chisnell told our class that you don't want to give keywords to those on a different side than you are on and that sharing keywords, in the end, can be an advantage for some kind. I don't know what the overall goal to be accomplished is, but maybe if you know who is revealed and who is on your side, you will have more access to gain those keywords.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@jacksonvon, I definitely agree, after all they are just digital people in a class game. I get the moral aspect of killing them off and how it might be wrong, but it's going to pose a big problem if we don't. Like you said if they are willing to kill us off but we don't kill them off then we are just going to end up losing more guardians. While they are still are going to continue to gang up on us. Does anyone else have any thoughts on if we should try and kill off the marginalia, and if it's morally okay?

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 - I totally get your point on that they are just digital people in the class game, however I feel like we should still wait it out. While I don't think it really is about the morality of "killing" virtual characters, I think that the marginalia might be more useful alive rather than dead. First, we don't know if there will be repercussions for the canon if we just try to kill them off. We could also get information from them or even be able to identify more of the marginalia before we try to kill them off.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 The idea of keeping them alive to use them is a good one. I think it might honestly be immoral to kill them off when we don't really know anything about their morals or their beliefs and justifications. I'm not saying there could necessarily be justification for their killing, but maybe we should at least hear them out, not for their sake, but also for our own knowledge. We could learn something.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

There's some great ideas here. To start I'd like to add here that after reading through these replies I am still thinking to wait it out a bit, or maybe have only one person attack the marginalia so we can all see what happens. However that would make the one person a sort of sacrificial lamb if they lose. I think the killing aspect of the game has less to do about feeling bad for the person we kill, more about we don't know what repercussions will happen if we do kill someone. Overall we seem to be at stalemate here, and we may be running out of time, so I think we all need to do what we think is right in this situation.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking