Clear all

The Noemata

Page 1 / 5

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

Wow! There are way more people that have joined the Noemata faction than I thought! That being said I wanted to raise the question of what exactly this means... It seems the marginalia v guardian ratio is still roughly 1:1 based on the leader board, so not much has changed in that sense. This being said, I am still curious with the intention of the Noemata faction... As I understand they were supposed to be somewhat of a neutral party, but I am curious if they would help the guardians or the marginalia if asked? Moreover is the Noemata against both of these groups so much so that they'd attack either one? I feel like that would be a poor decision based on their numbers but I am curious what my fellow guardians think. Anyone in the Noemata faction is free to answer as well!

xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Mr Chisnell said that they are out of the game so I feel like they are pretty much spectators at this point. I'm not sure if they can offer any help to either faction but it will be really interesting if they can. Even though Mr Chisnell said that they are out of the game I find it hard to believe that they won't have some roll in the future.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I find it really odd to think that people who joined the Noemata faction are just out of the game for good. Maybe that is the case right now, but there has to be some point to their faction, otherwise why would it even be a thing. I am interested to find out what the purpose of the whole faction is. It sure is confusing. I didn't realize how many people actually joined it either.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@username27 Yeah, I also don't think they will be out of the game indefinitely. I am interested to see if they will have an opportunity to play a role for either side later on. Also, if they are given an opportunity to rejoin, which faction they rejoin, and if it will cost them anything. I was definitely surprised at how many people joined the Noemata too!

ReplyQuote
Steve Chisnell
(@schisnell)
The Teacher Admin
Topics
Sith Lord

A fork in the storyline. . . .

Perhaps only the Noemata can communicate to others what has happened to them and what their options are.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27, based on what Chisnell said it seems like they still will have some role, but obviously they are the only ones who know what is going to happen. So I think things are going to be rather unclear until someone from the Noemata joins this discussion.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 Yeah I agree. I am hopeful that someone from the Noemata will be willing to shed some light on their experiences and what they know about what their role in the game will be like as we move forward. I wonder if this is something they haven't thought of revealing, or if there would be a consequence for sharing information to either faction? Hopefully someone from the Noemata can shed some light on this.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I feel like it's kind of interesting to think that maybe they can't tell us anything. I haven't really considered this but there's a possibility. I feel like there's a pretty good amount of people in the noemata and I think they probably would've said something by now about what being in that faction actually means. But all we can do is wait and maybe we will figure something out at some point. I also wonder if even though they aren't on one of the sides maybe they can pick one to "root" for potentially?

Delphine liked
ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 It would definitely be interesting if they could, as you said, root for one of the groups. I wonder too that if they are given an opportunity to rejoin in the game, will they have to go back to their old faction or will they be faced again with a choice between the two groups and have to decide from there? This could be interesting because if they were allowed to switch then it could happen so that the numbers within the two factions are no longer equal to one another.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I honestly think that the Noemata faction would defend the guardians simply because they seem to be the morally correct group. Although the Noemata is portrayed as neutral, I feel that if it was totally necessary they'd choose the moral high ground. But, I suppose that both sides think they're morally correct, so we'll just have to see how the game plays out. Interesting inquiry...

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  
Posted by: @schisnell

A fork in the storyline. . . .

I wanted to point out something that Mr.Chisnell had said during class that I think answers some questions... He had mentioned that some of the videos we would be watching were lower quality because students in his class had not used them due to different storylines according to their game play. For me, this pretty much confirms that the storyline for each faction is different according to how we play, which is very interesting... That being said we don't really have a way to confirm this, nor do we really know what that means in terms of impact...

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Are the noemata really "out of the game?" I know that this is they way that they were announced, but I found it interesting that so many people joined. Chisnell has said from the beginning that we will get more out of the class if we are participating and active in the game-play, so I don't think the people who joined the noemata had the full intention of removing themselves from the game. I mean after all they are able to try and join again which seems like a whole new aspect of the game in itself.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz  - I thought this was an interesting point to think about. I think that the people who joined the noemata didn't really know what they were getting themselves into. I think that they aren't truly "out of the game". I think it might just be like a side story of it that they will take part in and then meet back with our story soon.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think the reason for their existence is simply having choice and breadth. I mean, the whole game play is designed around an RPG which gives the player many options on how to play the game. Also, each faction represents a different theory or mix of literature theories. I think this is an important aspect to take away since our public school system has conditioned us into believing modernism and historic-ism are the only right ways to interpret a text. I really didn't know that literature had theories much similar to philosophy, where there was no clear-cut answer. I think that's what the different factions show us. 

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz what if within joining the group, individuals received messages about advantages they now gained in the game. They could've told people to join as well to get the advantage. That's the only thing that would really make sense because I agree, I don't really see that many people exiting from the game so quickly knowing that they will lose out on the possibility of gaining points. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking