Notifications
Clear all

The Marginalia

Page 7 / 9

MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo "more people means more power"  If you had 1,000 ants go up against 2 people what would happen?  haha I'm only teasing , but think about it.  What if a certain side has some advantage we don't know about?  Maybe there is something in store for a side that is going unnoticed. 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman That would be quite unfortunate if someone else had an advantage we didn't know about. I don't really feel like this will be the case though, I really just feel like everything we know is all we need to know to move forward. Now this could change but that's where I stand. 

Something I wanted to put out there (if someone else hasn't already) is the what's going to happen in the end. Obviously no one knows how a game is going to end without doing their research, but in our case I wonder if the "winners" per say get a bonus, and the losers get nothing. I am interested to see that.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 Well, we are reaching the end somewhat. I assume the game wraps up before the AP exam so we've got another 2 months essentially. Will there be a prize at the end? Maybe but it I have no idea what it would be. A neat grade boost? Perhaps those who participate may also get a reward... 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@aaparrot I doubt it will be a grade boost considering the game has never been tied to oru grades. However, I imagine there will be some sort of award for sure. I also question who receives the reward. Anyone who survives? Everyone from one group? I guess we will have to find out...

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mangoman

What if a certain side has some advantage we don't know about? 

I mentioned this in another thread, but I wanted to share here as well that in the survey at the end of chapter 11 it asks if you'd like to join the marginalia... This in itself is whatever but it's worded like "things aren't looking good for the guardians..." which makes me a little uneasy because from what I've seen is that we've been pretty even all year. This makes me think that maybe there IS some advantage they have, so it makes me wonder if we should begin attacking before it's too late.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone yes I noticed the wording was quite concerning.  which makes me think two things, either Mr. Chisnell is stirring the pot because he is bored and making us worried, or there is something seriously wrong with the balance of both sides right now.  I remember when we first found out about how even the sides really were, kind of an eye opener, but what do you think could have changed from that point?

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I think this is a big thing in the game - we need a couple people to take charge so others will follow. I feel like if we had better communication with our factions, maybe this would improve our gameplay. 

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia

I feel that it could be good to have a form of leadership take charge in guiding the factions in their actions. Guardians coordinating who they protect, and Marginalia coordinating who they attack could yield interesting results. My primary concern would be with whether Mr. Chisnell would be allowing this to happen, and/or whether the game is meant to have this be a part of it.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster Ultimately, what can stop someone from taking charge? Work from behind the scenes can't ever be monitored, so I think an undisclosed coordination could be the most dangerous thing to happen in a game like this. Perhaps the most interesting, too. It certainly would actually create a sense of unity with one's allies, at least.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon - I definitely think that if someone would take charge, it would make the game much more interesting. I agree, I don't think Chisnell could really stop anyone from taking leadership roles within the factions behind the scenes. As of right now, I feel like the factions are pretty unorganized and we know how many people are in our faction, but don't know all the people in the faction. It's all just pretty complicated. I just feel like something needs to pick up within the factions to make it more interesting. 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@username27 I think a big issue with people not taking charge, communicating, or planning is simply that we are in an online setting and we don't see each other everyday. If we were in the classroom, I am guessing there'd be lots of talking and planning and more people would be involved. As of now, I am not sure how easily it would be for someone to take charge and communicate that with the other members of their faction especially not knowing who is who in most cases.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, agreed! It's not like I have the contact information of every single person in both classes. I feel like this game would definitely be a lot crazier if we were in a classroom setting. I think we are doing our best with the materials that we have as of now and maybe towards the end of the year we will be in a classroom!

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 - This class would definitely be a lot different if we had been in the classroom and we would have gotten a lot more out of it. We would have had more discussion and found better ways to communicate with one another in order to really get this game going. It probably would have gotten a little crazy especially considering the many competitive people in this class. I hope we can all be in the classroom soon so that we can get a little taste of what this class is really like.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I agree! It is a little sad considering how much more involved the game could have been but also it being online makes it more secretive which is also a good thing. I feel like if we were in the classroom many more identities would be exposed, but that could also e more of a catalyst to the game and make it more exciting!

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@savhoisington Yeah totally! As of now I only know the actual identities of a few names on the leaderboard. I think if we were in class we would definitely know who more people were which would make it much more interesting. I think it would be fun to target someone that I would know just for fun that is in the other faction once I found out their identity too.

ReplyQuote
Page 7 / 9
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking