Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Apr 17

*Note: There are only 3 weeks of posts for the 4th MP!

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: abuzz, xwing37, aplitstudent123, Delphine, MangoMan
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  Persephone, Nikki, 
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Nicole, savhoisington, SnowyYeti
Notifications
Clear all

The Marginalia

Page 6 / 9

a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington honestly, the best thing I can picture for the winning faction, which ever it may be, is that they might be able to get out of a paper or a project or something along those lines. Maybe even getting a full chapter for free, or an added bonus to their finals. I'm sure it's going to be something big like that because I feel like doing the game for the whole entire year would end at a pretty solid reward. 

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I hope that we end up doing a first, second, and third place for the groups or even more depending on how many groups are added overtime. Or even if we end up having a bracket between all of the sides and compete until we come down to two teams going head to head. This kind of just makes me wonder how many advantages or disadvantages other groups are having over the one I am apart of. For all we know, one group could be getting a great advantage and they could end up beating out the other groups because of it.  

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 I think just based on the differences in ideology that the factions represent that each has different strengths. Just like how the different classes interact with combat differently, the factions definitely interact with assignments differently. The biggest sort of thing that comes to mind is analyzing a work differently through the lens of whichever faction you joined, which would make it interesting considering that it was a choice. So, maybe not an advantage, but definitely difference, and I think that's key. If someone's in a faction they've grown out of, I suppose it would dampen their chances.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@xwing37 I'll admit I am a little late to responding to this but I do have further thoughts on the comment you left. Since you posted this a lot had changed that I'm sure you are aware of. With the disturbance of the factions and the rising of a new one I feel as though we are still going to get our large battle in the end. I had claimed this in the start of the gameplay forums and I'm sticking with it. Now how this is going to work if it happens no clue. But, I can say I feel as though the authors slayed and protected will help in the end for both sides or all sides. Whether your getting added defence or attack. It all comes down to the end of theory and how it might be resolved. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo We discussed the side switching a little earlier! I think it would definitely be a plot-twist in our game play. In regards to the points, I think you're probably right. However, it would be interesting to see new assignments worth more points open up as the factions complete other tasks. Equal amount of possible points, but access to secret assignments and such. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2, I agree, I think a reward would be something super cool. Because obviously we have been playing this game for a while so I feel like their would have to be a big reward. I think a chapter being free or getting out of a big project is most likely out of all of the options. But this is something that we're going to have to wait and see, but I'm super excited to see how this all plays out.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@username27 I agree. He always talks about not to making a simple conclusion that sums up the paper (or in this case our year), but rather write something that makes you and your reader question something new or a new idea that you hadn't before. I fully expect this game play to end inn some sort of a twist that makes us rethink our choices or our future choices in some way.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  
Posted by: @schisnell

Those who participate actively in it will learn something new (maybe several somethings) that non-participants will not.

This response has confirmed to me 1000% that we are missing out on failing to defend out authors, and attack the marginalia. At the beginning I was of the opinion that perhaps we should hold off on the violence to see where it brought us, but not it is clear that it's about where it hasn't brought us. I think we should all seriously consider attacking going forward...

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@persephone You're right, this is definitely eye opening. I think there is much we haven't had the opportunity to learn due to the hesitation of many to get truly involved or "get their hands dirty". I think it would be exciting to see everyone become more engaged and see what we are all able to learn from doing so and where this game goes from there.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I agree as well. I think we've been holding back for a while but soon we may need to engage in serious gameplay and take some risks. We've been playing it safe for a while now and starting to engage with the game may be risky but also rewarding.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia - Everyone has been playing it very very safe. I think that might be hindering us some way in this class. If we were all more engaged, I believe that we could truly take something away from this class at the end of the year. I hope that in the coming weeks people will begin to step it up and allow this class to get even more interesting than it already is.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 We'll see if that's the case. Although I highly doubt the level of activity will change from its current state, I wouldn't mind seeing some more people invested in the game. It might be enough to motivate me to join the fray. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot Honestly, my guess is if a small group starts stirring things up again, it'll snowball. Once the ball's rolling and things start going back and forth, most likely it will at least hold something. It being online is killer though, I'm imagining this class but where it's a more personal game of deception would be quite interesting.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot, I think that if a few people begin attacking and defending it will push everyone else to do it. Personally it's hard for me to participate in the game when no one else is. But if everyone were to start doing it I obviously would too. But I have no doubt that if a few people started attacking it would start up the game again and probably make the game more entertaining.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  
Posted by: @salmon

my guess is if a small group starts stirring things up again, it'll snowball.

Yes!!! I totally agree with this idea, however the problem is that everyone is afraid of being the first to do it. I think we should all go back and read through the rules of combat and such under the Skirmish Fields module, as well as the War Room module, in hopes it sparks a new interest in the game aspect of this class. I mean come on... How many classes have we all had so far that 1. Has a game associated with it and 2. Has so much detail and thinking behind multiple storylines!!! I think we are neglecting this opportunity, because I've certainly had no other class like this one. 

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 9
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking