Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

The Marginalia  

Page 4 / 5

a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

Without revealing anything, for the group I am apart of we have certain assignments that Chisnell has told us only our group has. I have also heard from people on the opposite side of me that they have extra assignments as well. It really makes me wonder either how many extra assignments they are getting, or how many extra points they're receiving. With picking our group so soon, we would have no clue of the benefits that would come our way. Was it smart of me to pick the group I picked, or did I just miss out on a bunch of extra credit points? Hopefully we will find out. 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz This is really helpful! Though I am reading this about a month overdue it still helps connect some ideas that I had myself about the Marginalia. Its interesting to think though on whos the good and the bad here. I really do enjoy a good plot in games and by the way you described it, its more then interesting. Im fascinated to hear if anyone has opinions based on Abuzz's interpretation of teaching new ideas and creating your own. Because from the way I see it, the guardians are creating robots in a way by teaching everyone the same thing. Then you have the marginalia who are trying to create people who have their own individualized concepts.  

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@octavia That's a good point... a free-for-all might ensue because assuming it's possible to switch teams, it brings up a few issues. 1. being not all the guardians would be to keen in accepting their switching of teams, and 2. what if it were all a lie to get info from us? This also makes us not trust each other even more which is a problem that we already struggle with.... ugh there's so many things to unravel in this instance. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2, I've thought about this too. I now understand that each group gets extra assignments but I have been thinking about what assignments they are getting and if I got them too. So I feel like there's a small chance that one group could get more assignments and point opportunities. Like you said we picked our groups very early in the game and I never really thought about how often they would come up and impact the game.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I think picking teams early on makes things difficult for us now, but it also makes it more interesting. It definitely makes us less prepared but also makes things more interesting and adventurous. I do wonder also if the other team gets more opportunities or assignments, but not knowing also makes us work harder for our team, so there are upsides and downsides to the whole situation. 

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia - I am definitely curious about the whole different assignments for each faction. Sometimes when Chisnell is sharing his screen of the canvas page I get a glimpse of the some assignments that I don't have and it makes me wonder if the Marginalia are getting different assignments than me. I also think it would have been beneficial to know more earlier on and make things a little less difficult.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I am too wondering what the different assignments hold, and what there differences are. I never really picked up that the two sides had two different pairs of assignments according to the game. But I do believe he is giving even amount of points to both teams, because how would that be fair? Maybe that isn't the case I don't know.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia, I definitely think Chisnell meant to make us pick teams early so we were a little confused. Because it makes you try and figure out stuff on your own which I kind of like. I think if everyone knew what they were getting into it wouldn't be as much fun. I think mystery adds some spice into the game as a whole and makes it a little more challenging. So I'm thankful that we didn't really know a ton about what we were getting into.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 I also think it was a good idea to have us pick a team so early on. Another reason I have to add on is that it was early enough in the game that no one had really become accustomed to what was happening, so no one was eager to talk to many people about it. When I was posed with the question, I wasn't completely clear on the importance of the choice and how it would shape the rest of the game. This was a crucial part because it allowed people to pick teams in about a 50/50 matter and people felt little-to-no allegiance to one side or the other because they weren't sure what would happen next.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@octavia @username27 I don't think there is any difference except for the storyline. I'm sure the Marginalia have different assignments that Guardian (like attacking or defending) but it is usually story related that's it. So I really don't think there is some sort of disparity between the two, the factions are just binary opposites. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot Do you think they might have assignments where they can see what we do? do you think they have any influence on those protecting authors?  perhaps a mole?  I think they have more people then we think, with more power then we think.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman I think the whole aspect of seeing what we do could be interesting. But I don't know what makes everybody defend or attack a certain person. I haven't participated in the game much because I am still confused about what to do. Once I figure out exactly how to play though I think it could be interesting. More people definitely means more power, but what is the advantage of having more people? What is to come in the future?

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo it all really comes down to which side you are participating in. If you are a guardian then you are trying to protect the authors by completing the assignment that has to do with protecting them. Which is where the authors defended comes in play. If you are in the Marginalia you are trying to slay these authors and express free ideas which is where attacking the authors or authors slain comes into play. More people means a better chance at slaying an author or protecting them which will decide how the game might end.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 That makes sense. I wonder what the end of the game will look like? Is there some sort or reward we are trying to reach? These are thoughts that are coming to me as I think about the endgame, and it's very interesting to think about. We haven't really gotten any information about what is to come next, but I am interested to see how it all will play out. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07, I agree, I think this is the only thing that is different for assignments between the two. I think everything else is the same, both groups have the same amount of points available each chapter. I think the end of the game might have something to do with how many authors were slain and protected. Whichever side protects or slays the most wins? I'm sure we will figure it out at some point, but I'm very interested to see what happens.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking