Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

The Marginalia  

Page 2 / 5

username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I too see the marginalia as pretty contradictory. I am still confused on what their actual goal is and what their motives are. I think it is pretty obvious that they want to destroy the literary canon, but why? The woman said something that intrigued me. She said something along the lines of the human race being too ignorant to sustain the literature that the canon wants to guard. How does this play into their motivation to destroy the canon if the canon is protecting the literature?

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

All of the ideas posted here are really great! One thing though is somebody mentioned the killing of the authors being symbolic, however I ended up finding Matthew Arnold's body by doing well in chapter 3, so it the killing idea is 100% literal. Another thing I noticed since posting this is that the marginalia seem to be cult-like. This might be just a hunch, but I'm gonna keep this idea in the back of my mind in case it's important.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone Well, it's literal in the game world, but real world Arnold has been dead for a long time. I think the killing of the authors could still be symbolic if framed as refusing to teach their ideas. If Arnold is dead in the game world, obviously we as characters can no longer ask any questions about Historicism. (At least, to him.) I really agree with these other points about the marginalia being some sort of progressive pushback, probably to the modern school system and the college board. If Modernism is the love of AP, Eliot probably straight-up represents the ultimate goal of AP Lit. Though, I'm going really meta here, and I'm unsure if that's allowed. It's like Historicism, except sideways. I'm seriously curious to watch for how new characters introduced affect our understanding of the marginalia.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

Has anyone figured out anything new about the marginalia yet? I know @persephone brought up some points about them but does anyone know anything new? I wonder if there's any hidden messages in chapter 3 or 4. 

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 I'm glad you started this forum because this whole idea of the Marginalia really confused me. I looked around canvas for some time but couldn't really seem to dig up enough information to wrap my head around it. I'm mostly confused as does this play into the game? Or the end of theory? Or both? I guess this is just somewhere I am completely lost. 

ReplyQuote
DeepThought
(@leinweber)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think that the Marginalia are killing the professors as almost a form of censorship. I can't imagine that there would be a personal reason, so that leaves the work of the author as the reason for Marginalia's killings of the authors. I believe that Marginalia must see the opinions of the dead authors as either threatening to their message, or as incorrect enough to warrant the killing of the author.

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I feel like it is both. Of course with the game there are two sides to choose from and some are hidden from our knowledge secretly as part of the Marginalia. The Marginalia seem to want to destroy the academy, and by doing this they go after the canon authors who teach us as students of the academy. By eliminating the authors, the academy will fall down with them. This will in turn allow new students to come in and learn from a progressive, unbiased point of view. I believe that the reason the Marginalia does this is so that students are not being formed into an idea, but they can create an idea themselves.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber I agree. From what I picked up from the video in chapter 3, they want to kill these authors because the marginalia has different ideas and intentions. The authors stand in their way, and persuade people to the other side, so the only way for the marginalia to gain control is to get rid of them. I may be wrong, but I feel like this is the main intent of why killings happen.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo - I agree with you. I think the whole goal of the marginalia is to undermine the Academy as well as the canon. I have yet to find a body of a canon author, but as people have found them, it surprised me that this was so literal. I am interested to see how this all plays out. It seems like the marginalia are raging an almost full on war with the canon and the canon doesn't really seem to be doing much about it.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 Me too! I was pretty surprised that it was so literal and we could actually find the bodies of the authors. I think it really helps put into perspective that we're actually killing these authors in the game and there are consequences to that. I think it's interesting how the marginalia views the killing of authors as a way to eliminate their works and knowledge from the world, but I'd like to see how this plays out. It does seem like a war is being started. 

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@leinweber Responding to that, I think that really gives us a glimpse of what their motives are. All literary theories try to stick away from feelings as much as possible because they want to be objective in their search for good literature. However, maybe the Marginallia believe that it pulls away from the meaning of the reading. Rather than having squabbling scholars, it is the feelings that should guide them to an answer. While I personally disagree with this, I think that is a part of what makes the Marginiallia the MArginallia. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone Hmmmm, I think this is a VERY important inquiry. The cult-like idea is something that I have had the notion of a few times in this game, but none so much as the Marginalia. It is difficult to determine for sure as of now, but I agree that this is definitely a possibility we should consider. Many of their ideals of so radical and intensely decided that I think a cultish aspect is one I'd define the Marginalia with.

ReplyQuote
Madams43
(@madams43)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I'm also a little confused about the Marginalia. I know that they're meant to attack authors and that part I understand, but why? Is it simply for us to dig deeper into the text of the authors, or is it because they are "cult-like" as I saw earlier? Or could it be because the Marginalia has different ideas than the literary theories that we've looked at?

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I am very intrigued on what the killing of the authors will do for the marginalia. Are the marginalia more focused on the true meaning of their group to emerge, or to completely eliminate their rival? It makes me question the true intentions of this group. 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@salmon I think you made a great point here; I was also thinking about the authors' killing outside of the context of the game. I thought your interpretation of the Marginalia was fascinating as well. I saw the the Marginalia killing the authors as sort of an analogy for how we are moving away from the author's intentions and therefore moving away from real literature. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking