Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Notifications
Clear all

The Marginalia

Page 1 / 6

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

So in the newest chapter of EOT (chapter 3), we were all introduced to the marginalia. Honestly I didn't know what to think of this interaction, so with a simple google search I found the following:

Marginalia: Marks made in the margins of a book. 

This in itself is pretty broad, but I think that the whole Academy v.s. Marginalia is more of a Legitimate Analysis v.s. Spark Notes. I could be totally wrong here but I'd like to hear what you guys think. For me putting it into terms like this, it made it a lot easier for me to understand, based on the limited info we have, so I figured if it could help somebody else, without helping (giving them an advantage) somebody else, I'd post it.

savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

That is really interesting and I think you are onto something. Many things in this class are hidden meanings and tricks so this could be on the right path. I myself have been struggling to understand the Marginalia, especially the fact that we have to graduate the academy and  choose to join them? If some people join them will half of our classes be pinned against each other? 

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Also, when we were prompted to ask the woman from the Marginalia one last question, I was stuck. I feel like i have so many questions because there is so much I don't know but I wouldn't know where to start/ what kinds of questions to ask. I have large questions but I don't know if she could be allowed to answer them or even just give me a response that avoids truly answering my posed question. I was curious what types of questions any of you might have asked if you feel like sharing? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I think that's a hint as to what their motives are. I just don't understand what they accomplish by killing off an author of literature? Perhaps they believe we are too engrossed and our oblivious to our surroundings or is it something else? 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot I too am confused with this aspect of the Margenalia. They claim we are ignorant but go ahead and kill our highly esteemed sources of knowledge - the professors. It seems a bit contradictory with what they say about the human race. It's interesting how they work and I'm definitely curious to see how they justify these actions. 

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

To me, the Marginalia seems to be very progressive in their way of thinking. The academy offers knowledge that has been passed down through generations, and is being taught by those who created the ideals we learn. This creates a more fixed mindset of how literature should be seen and what we should take into the real world. While we know very little about the Marginalia, both paths seem to have motives against one another rather than working together to form an agreement. It is quite upsetting, however, that Professors are being murdered to discontinue their teaching of their own knowledge. Quite a gruesome, unethical way of wanting people to join you...

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I am very interested to see where this leads. I find that your concept of SparkNotes vs legitimate analysis is a very interesting topic to put forward I know that we cover this a lot but I think this in relation to the way the academy works. What I find more interesting is to discuss the idea of killing an author is one which I feel like the one which is relevant to the modern-day. The idea of cancel culture is something that comes to mind. I think we are very dry with ideas and maybe this is the idea that Chiz is what shows through this character that we can see that authors believed within their works. So we are trying to not forget the ideas which these authors had believed. I think that we need to look towards their vision so we can better understand the future  

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

When I watched the video about the marginalia, and they told us to join a side at the end of the chapter I was too very confused. What does being part of the marginalia do for me, and how will it be an advantage to me? The agent didn't make the marginalia intentions very clear to me, and I am stuck wondering what this "decision" is that we have to make. But I like @persephone how you said the marginalia might be related to the margins in the book. I found this very interesting!

This post was modified 4 months ago by bunkymoo

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I don't see why one must choose a side like that, Marginalia was talking about how humans are stubborn and ignorant but like I'm a human... So to choose a side even with concrete reasoning can be difficult when the side they are fighting against is my side.  What did you guys think about this?

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

@mangoman I had the same feeling as you did. I really don't understand why they would say things like that (no matter how true) if they are trying to recruit us. I remember her saying that no one would miss the authors they are killing off, but what are they even going to gain from doing it?? It seems like they think they are doing some sort of public service or some s**t... although I will admit I'm a bit tempted to join JUST so I can get a better understanding...

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

Wow I never thought of that before. I probably should've assumed that I needed to dive deeper into the meaning of the groups to get an understanding possibly on what each one believed in. I think it's interesting making the comparison of Legitimate Analysis to Spark Notes. Keeping that in mind will definitely change the way I view both groups. 

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

When I was watching the video and later reading the script, the part that stuck out to me the most was when the Marginalia agent said, "Feelings are not a disease." To me this stuck out as directly challenging the ideas we learned about last chapter, namely that of Modernism. I think that the agent's challenging of this thing we learned about was very significant, and I think it is a hint as to the motives of Marginalia. By setting them up as an enemy of literary theories, or at least of modernism, I think that Marginalia showed that they represent a more decentralized way of analyzing literature, in that they aren't focused on following the ideas of old authors, and instead of coming up with your own.

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I think the killing of the professors might be referencing a symbolic killing. The Marginalia shows a different way of interpreting writing, one that could be viewed as "wrong," therefore, in a sense killing the professors. Specifically, when The Marginalia discussed feelings, many of our professors viewed it as a useless tool when analyzing literature; but the Marginalia doesn't believe this to be true. 

This post was modified 4 months ago by stella

ReplyQuote
Nicole
(@nicole)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I think what @stella said is a good theory about why the Marginalia could be correct. I think a reason for the contradictions of the Marginalia calling us ignorant while also killing our professors goes along with this. I think they could think we are ignorant for listening to the professors. Like stella said, the Marginalia don't agree with the professors, so they think we are ignorant for believing them. They could also be saying that we are not free thinkers because we are listening to the professors, thus making us ignorant for blindly following the professors and not thinking on our own.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber This is a really good point. I could easily see the Marginalia as people who feel like feelings are most important, therefore severely disagreeing with the majority of the academy's professors. Like many revolutions' rebels, the Marginalia seems to feel like the canon may be oppressing their ideas on feelings in literature. They have a more progressive idea on analyzing literature. But, I thought the main ideals of the marginalia were to destroy the old literature in itself, so this take could be wrong. Or, maybe they are exercising the mindset that if they can only read old literature without any feelings, then destroy it because it is better for it to not exist at all?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking