Notifications
Clear all

Semester 2 Gameplay

Page 6 / 8

MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo exactly! I feel like if people know who you are then their views on your comment can be biased.  Like if someone knows you well and reads something you say, their immediate view on your comment won't be 100% honest and truthful you know?  I think this goes more into class discussions, but definitely applies to the game.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman yes precisely. I would be timid to post something or lay back on my response because I am scared of judgement or failure in a topic or discussion. Anonymous forums and names definitely help people become more comfortable with writing how they feel.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @bunkymoo

I would be timid to post something or lay back on my response because I am scared of judgement

I feel the same way, if my identity was revealed from the start of the game I doubt I would have ever shared some of my opinions. Thinking back though, where I'm at maturity wise now, I don't think I would mind if my identity were revealed at the end of the game anymore! I think an underappreciated aspect of this class is to get comfortable in your own skin, and I really really like that about this class.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@savhoisington So am I! I think it would be super fun if some people would reveal their identities if they were given the option to. I have kinda come up with personalities for each name somewhat on my own. So, for me it would be enjoyable to find out who each person trulyl is and if they line up with what I thought of their character to be. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I hadn't thought about this before! I definitely assigned personalities to people in my head now that I think about it. I think the anonymity of people in the game adds a fun aspect to it and makes us think even more. That's the whole premise of this game I presume - to make us think and realize how our thinking affects ourselves and others.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo Judgment is more of a given I feel.  There will always be judgment regardless of your username, in this case we are hiding behind a shell.  Another thing I wanted to go over as strategy is using a username others can recognize.  Like if it was your steam username or your league of legends username, people may start to notice you and deduce who you are, making that shield useless.  At that point you're speaking for yourself.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia - I also do this as well. Even though I don't know exactly who you guys are I know you are in my class and I have kind of assigned personalities to you. I think this adds a lot to the game and kind of makes it fun. I also kind of like that we get to "hide" behind a username in that it could make us more bold and more willing to speak our minds on these forums.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@username27 I really like your thought on personalities based on what people post and how they come across. It does make it kind of fun, because I try and guess a lot of the times who people are just based on how they write. It's not always that easy, but I think it adds a mysterious aspect in the case of hiding behind a fake identity. 

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I am for sure guilty of reading responses in a specific voice, or if I know who someone is I picture them saying it. It is also interesting that our forum names are typically different from our Game Stats names. This adds an extra layer of secrecy and it is quite fun to try to piece everyone together.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@abuzz

I always find myself having my inner monologue in people's voices after just hearing them or if they are someone who crosses my thoughts like if I watch a youtube video, ill end up thinking with their voice for a minute or two. Whenever I see a picture I will also use their voice like you said you do.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@conster I also feel like if you have someone's voice in your head, it can allow you to think like them for the time being, allowing you to come across the topic from their point of view. I think it's interesting how if we are thinking about something someone said, we always think about it in their voice.

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 Yes! I hadn't directly considered this but i unknowingly definitely assign personalities to the names and it is almost exiting not actually knowing. And, @

Posted by: @abuzz

I am for sure guilty of reading responses in a specific voice, or if I know who someone is I picture them saying it

I do this too! This is a little off topic but I find it super interesting the natural human tendencies people have. Like we all are so programmed to familiarize things or understand things even when we aren't given the information. So we have almost no idea who most of us are so we feel so inclined to create a personality behind the name just to give ourself answers, even if they aren't accurate

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@savhoisington That is a super interesting way to think about it. I catch myself doing this all the time, whether it's in a scenario like this class or social media or in some other way. And, I find myself in a lot of cases realizing I am wrong once someone's "true personality" is revealed. But, I think this is part of our human nature and I don't think it is something we can prevent from happening either. 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @bunkymoo

I also feel like if you have someone's voice in your head, it can allow you to think like them for the time being, allowing you to come across the topic from their point of view.

This is great thinking! I am also guilty of assigning personalities to game names, and I think it would be extra interesting if a prominent figure in the game/forums turned out to be someone who is shy or reserved. It just gives us insight on each others personalities! Not to mention I think the class of 2021 is pretty inclusive for the most part. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I agree, I always do this based off the name and some of their first actions in the book. I feel like this a fun way to do it and a lot of times the way the character talks and how I picture their actions changes throughout the book as they change as a person. But it's fun to assign looks and personalities to all of the different characters throughout the novel because it doesn't necessarily change the plot. So it's just for the reader's purpose.

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 8
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking