Notifications
Clear all

Semester 2 Gameplay

Page 4 / 8

FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I see what you are saying when it comes to opting out of attacking or defending. I have tried to avoid the extra complexities of the game thus far but reading these forum posts have inspired me to get more involved. I think this is fun and exciting to have a chance at challenging classmates through a friendly competition. This is just another example of Mr.Chisnell keeping the class engaging and different from any other ELA class we have ever taken part in. I appreciate that a lot. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone This is a great point to bring up again. I think we have to participate and communicate with each other more to avoid these consequences. We can't just not play the game and it will help us avoid the consequences. We have to play and be smart about it!

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@persephone how is not participating in attacking a concequence to us? This might be somewhere else, but I am curious on the reason why we should attack. Is it hurting us knowledge wise? I have never really had an incentive to involve myself that much in this game.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I agree. It makes the players of the game really involved because they choose to play, yet we don't have an extra thing to stress about when doing our assignments because the game is not required. I totally agree that they should remain separate and it's beneficial to us to keep the game separate from grades.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gardella, I too appreciate how he tries to get everyone engaged and interacting. He keeps everyone engaged in a completely different way than any other teacher has before. And I think it makes the class a lot more fun. In other classes the teacher just does group projects which can be a lot more daunting than just playing a fun game.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo Sorry I should have mentioned it in my original post but Mr.Chisnell had commented on one of these forum posts where we were talking about consequences and he had said something long the lines of "Do you think that not participating itself has not caused consequences?" and it was kind of an "oh shoot" moment for me. That being said, I plan on attacking sometime soon it hopes it causes a sort of domino affect, because I'd like to fully experience this class/game as there probably will never be another class like it. 

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone - I definitely think that there have been some consequences to all of not fully participating in the game. Chisnell, even during freshman year with Moodle, encouraged us to make the most out the game because it would give us greater insight in the class and would all around help not hurt. I think that especially because we aren't in school, we have lost valuable discussion time that this class normally brings as well as losing the motivation to participate in gameplay. 

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I discussed with Mr. Chisnell the added complexity of playing the game and how participating gives us better insight and pushes are learning further. Although I haven't participated in the game that much, I can still confidently say that I have am learning a lot and I do believe my skills have improved despite little participation in the game itself. The assignments on canvas alone are unique to other classes I have partaken in because they challenge our thinking and we build off of others answers. So yes I do think that the game is a cool aspect and I wish that I would have participated in it more top this point but nevertheless I am still learning a lot.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@gardella I am on the same boat with you, I haven't played a ton but I am learning a lot about trust in particular.  I'm not too comfortable with sharing my ideas about either side even here, even though it's discrete.  We have all moved in to our own spaces where we feel safe and sharing our opinions seem too risky.  I don't wanna give away my identity.

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

I forgot to mention in my last post that I think the main goal for us above all is to be prepared for and do well on the AP exam coming up soon. I think we all have been thoroughly prepared through the various activities on canvas and by listening to the class discussions. I'm not sure exactly if participating in the game more would make us more prepared for the exam because in my previous AP classes there has been nothing comparable to this class.

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman that definitely makes sense and others probably feel similar to you. Unfortunately when I joined the class I didn't realize my username was gonna be shown on the actual forums itself so my identity isn't very discreet at all. My last name gives it away but I am still happy to share my thoughts and chime in on these discussions. 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@mangoman I get not wanting to give away your identity. For me personally, my name for the game board is different than my name here which I like because I don't think people will be able to connect those two identities. Also, I like the idea of most people not knowing who I really am, I think that adds some excitement to the game and it makes me more willing to participate and share my thoughts.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman that makes sense. Even though my identity of what faction I am in is given up, I didn't really have a choice. I have seen that everybody in the class is now revealed on what side they are on even though they have never participated in the game. But even though nobody truly knows who you are, it is still weird to present and talk about ideas when there is a chance that you could give that identity up.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@persephone I remember seeing that comment when he posted it and it made me nervous for a little bit, because I am not one to attack really so I wondered about my future in this game and if that would affect me. But I honestly just don't really know how the whole attack thing goes down. Like I really don't know how difficult it is or how much work it is but I would want to try it one day and I think a domino effect would be really cool. 

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

Some thing that I didn't even realize was a thing for a long time was that you could purchase things with the points you make from writing forms. While reading through the different powers that the items had I saw a lot about attacking in the game and bonuses that you could gain from purchasing the items. It made me wonder if a lot of the people who were actually attacking were purchasing these things, because it would really be hard for me (someone who didn't have any of those power ups) to go against someone with a bunch of them. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 8
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking