Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Apr 17

*Note: There are only 3 weeks of posts for the 4th MP!

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: abuzz, xwing37, aplitstudent123, Delphine, MangoMan
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  Persephone, Nikki, 
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Nicole, savhoisington, SnowyYeti
Notifications
Clear all

Semester 2 Gameplay

Page 3 / 6

SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think that it would be a good idea to maybe put some extra credit on attacks or things that could help future attacks could be good too, there really is not a ton of incentive as of now.  I did not think about the marginalia attacking the Noemata either but that could be interesting.  

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@snowyyeti I am curious about what power the Noemata does have in this game and if they have the ability to attack or not. it would be interesting if they could be attacked or attack, and if this would lead to possibly two factions "ganging up" on another. I think we are still learning more about the Noemata and what power and perks being in this group actually entails. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I agree! I think there's a lot we don't know about the Noemata. I personally am not even super aware of their ideals or opinions. I know we discussed earlier they could be a neutral party. I was thinking... what if they're one of the others in disguise? Maybe a way to recruit more people to the Marginalia without having to declare that title? Undercover Marginalia spies? I know this could be a stretch, but I don't think we should leave any ideas out of the picture just yet considering how little we know...

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine that is a really good point, but it almost seems like it's too much for the marginalia to do. I would think for the marginalia having a 'neutral' party that is not actually neutral would make sense when considering game plans. BUT it almost seems to go against their values. To give a name like noemata that has a less obvious meaning. when something is named like this i feel like it was intended to spark thought or a deeper meaning. I think some of us have come across the idea that the marginalia are completely against the meaning behind words in general, so to base a whole faction off of this seems slighlty out of character? but you are right that all ideas are definitely possible and valuable!

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @aplitstudent123

Is that something we must ask to use? Or are we asked if we would like to if we were in a position to attack or if we had been attacked?

I have some sort of answer for this question. Obviously I've never been attacked or attacked someone, but in defending Sigmund Freud my character automatically used the bear mace I had purchased instead of taking damage. So that being said the items are used automatically as far as defense goes.

I also want to address Chiz and his ominous message...

Posted by: @schisnell

To all,

What makes you think inactivity itself is not a choice of consequence? 

Clearly, at least, there are NPCs enacting their own agendas. . . 

I think this is reminiscent to the idea of pathways as far as the story goes. Words from Chisnell in class has told me that this year has taken a path of the story that hasn't been used in awhile, which is probably due to the lack of attacks in the game right now. I think this has something to do with remote learning and motivation, but I digress... I think perhaps we should consider attacking before it is too late?

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti Extra credit would definitely add incentive. I think that people will be more likely to attack and participate this way. I don't think people are seeing a reason to attack, so maybe this will motivate people.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia - I think extra credit would totally get people to attack. I feel like the game is just kind of a side thing and people are mosty concerned about theirs grades in the class. This way through extra credit, it would combine game and class making people want to engage in it more. Who knows maybe if people attacked, more opportunities in the game/class will appear.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@conster I think it would be a lot of fun if our grade was tied to it. The higher the stakes, the more invested people become. I wouldn't mind wagering my grade for some fun action. My chemistry teacher had a jeopardy game where if you ever dropped below zero, an entire letter grade would be taken off of your midterm grade. But on the plus side, if you managed to score top, a letter grade would be added. A bit extreme but you get the point. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@octavia I agree. The reason I don't really attack that much is because there is no incentive, and it isn't worth any points. I have plenty of other assignments that I have to do worth points, so what makes these worth doing at all? It compiles on top of my other stuff, so I immedietly push the game part of this class out of the way. Something like this should definitely be added so more people can get involved.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2, I feel like this is something very possible. I would like the amount of tribes to slowly grow throughout this next semester just to make the game more interesting. I feel like this is something that no one would know about either unless you were actually a part of it. It's not like people are very vocal about the side that they are on and what their plans are for the game. I hope this is something that we see later in the game!

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @bunkymoo

Something like this should definitely be added so more people can get involved.

While I agree with this to some extent, I'd have to address and earlier statement in this post you made about the work "piling up," would making the game portion of the class worth points not add up and pile up your work load even more? I think part of the fun is that it is optional- and if we don't have the time to do it due to class work, we don't need to stress about it. That being said, we are still missing parts of the story the longer we remain content... For me, extra story is enough to get me to want to attack the marginalia, but I'd have to admit I am quite afraid of the unknown haha

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 It would be interesting to see people start to share their sides.  What I find interesting is we are playing a game with no real consequences you know?  Yet people are so careful about who they tell, especially with our new triads being formed.  I think people are getting really attached to this fictional game because of how much time and effort we have put into it.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@aaparrot I get where you are coming from in the sense that connecting grades to game play would definitely add incentive, but I don't think I agree that it should be done. I like how the game is seperate from grades. I feel that way it is there for fun, and is not stressful. If your health was tied to the games, then I truly feel no one would attack or do anything out of an even bigger fear of being hurt. I personally like how grades remain separate so that those who want to participate in game play can, but no one has to.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@mangoman, I agree, I've found myself considering this game as real and not fictional. I think we are all super invested into the game and especially with online learning it makes the game a lot more fun. But I find it funny that you said that because I was thinking the same thing. I feel like I play this game like there is legitimate consequences. Even though nothing would ever happen if I died in the game or bought one less fictional item.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @xwing37

I feel like I play this game like there is legitimate consequences.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, but I think we are ignoring the fact that by not playing the game we are also facing consequences (that is by not attacking). Chiz said nearly the same thing I just did in one of these marginalia threads, but it seemed like everyone just breezed over it...

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking