Notifications
Clear all

Semester 2 Gameplay

Page 2 / 8

aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@bunkymoo I have also been struggling with incentives to attack and reasons to be super involved in game play. I am hesitant to attack in fear of losing and possibly dying and missing out. I would rather instead not attack and go along with the game to see where it goes. However, I think creating some sort of reward for game play and taking risk would get more people, including myself, involved and more interested. I would definitely be more willing to attack if many people were interested too.

ReplyQuote
Steve Chisnell
(@schisnell)
The Teacher Admin
Topics
Sith Lord

To all,

What makes you think inactivity itself is not a choice of consequence? 

Clearly, at least, there are NPCs enacting their own agendas. . . 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I agree we get 10 points for an attack or defense of an author. But I feel like I only would attack if it was a little more. But I think I'm going to try and become a more active member of the game just because that's how it's supposed to be played. I too have been struggling with motivation to attack/defend and I'm hoping I will get more motivated soon because I think it would be fun if everyone started attacking and defending frequently.

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

I enjoy that Chisnell involves some sort of gameplay in his class, its definitely a fun idea but I'm stuck. Sometimes I log onto here just to see what's up and I notice I took damage or my author is dead or something of the sort, and other times it shows I protected them. How do you know if you're being attacked, if there's a way to know at all? Also, are shields and other items automatic or do I somehow need to activate them? It's really sad that I'm asking all this now, I know I'm sorry, but if I'm being honest I didn't pay much attention to the game until about a week ago, only because I didn't think it'd interest me, and now I'm bummed I didn't start sooner. 

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@klynnph I am also interested in the answer aout different tools such as tools or pets or anything of that nature. Is that something we must ask to use? Or are we asked if we would like to if we were in a position to attack or if we had been attacked? I have quite a few different tools and such that I have collected along the way and I haven't gotten to use anything but that could be something I am just missing out on doing.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

I find it interesting that if we were to create a new triad, we have to pick within our faction. Trying to slowly separate the sides within the class, maybe leading to some competition down the line. I just noticed that the other day and I thought it is interesting. Also, @klynnph, I believe that you need to activate the shields in order for them to work. I believe you do this by messaging Chisnell, but I am not sure.

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti Ooooh, I love this. The highest achievers in a battling duel? Sounds intriguing and entertaining. I love the ominous aspect of this gameplay, as you never really know where anyone stands. Each person is constantly changing their opinion, and its really interesting to see how the game progresses as we learn about new literary strategies that cause our fellow classmates to change their opinions.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo I think by separating the class into sides it's defiantly going to show more of both sides and reveal some people's allegiance. I'm not sure guardians will even reveal their roles in fear of being called out for being a liar, we are moving into a more intense and touchy part of the game in semester 2.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine A duel is definitely something that could mix up the gameplay! I think that recently its been pretty stagnant, and adding something like that could add excitement and more tension to the game.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia - I agree! I find it interesting that we haven't really attacked one another yet. I remember freshman year people would attack each other a lot. Is there a difference this year because this class is so complicated and unknown and we don't want to "mess up" by attacking one another?

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia Sure but the real question is how many people will be truly incentivized to play? From what it looks like, not many people participate in the gameplay and all-though duels have been mentioned, I've barely seen any come to fruition. 

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@mangoman I feel like with so many sides throwing up throughout the game there may be a possibility of there being more sides within this semester. There could be a side whose main goal is to wipe out every single player within the game, or there could even now be a hidden side that none of us know about at all except for a few students. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 I mean, once you get into that territory, it's possible that hidden things have existed since the very beginning. I really appreciate all the unlockable things throughout. Who's to say doing good on one assignment back in the Flatland chapter doesn't unlock a whole alternate campaign? I'm eager to learn if there's a bunch of cool hidden things later on, if I'm allowed to know that is. Just the idea of something hidden gets me a little excited to get more involved, actually.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@aaparrot like everyone is saying, once more abilities or "hidden features" that could be released come into the game, it might make people excited to achieve those goals. Right now there is no reward or incentive to chase, which is what I think a lot of people desperately need to enjoy the game. Rewards for successful attacks would be a good incentive for me at least, because that is one of the things that I don't engage in often.

ReplyQuote
Conster
(@conster)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo

I do agree that some kind of incentive would bring more people into utilizing the game. Two things I have thought of regarding this though: Being in person would cause social incentive via the real-world implications of the game. Imagine initiating a game attack on someone and being able to talk to them about it in the real world. It expands the game's interactions. Also, I am unsure what incentives could be given unless Chisnell is authorized to give grade points for the game. By this I mean if extra credit were given for them that would be a good incentive, but I am not sure if the school would allow that without all of the game being mandatory for a grade.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 8
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking