Forums

Dialogue is Action

Announcements:

Welcome to The Forums!  Remember, you may post up to 150% of any required number of posts for credit. This summer, therefore, you can post up to 15 times for credit.  In general during the school year, five substantive posts are required by each Friday midnight. Have fun!

Forum check complete for 10/23/20. 

At this point, you should have ~35 total posts for 100%. Remember that you can post up to 8x/week for up to 150% per week, if you need to catch up! On MiStar and elsewhere, know that any points beyond 105% total will be reduced to 105% (District limit on extra-credit!)

Forum Credits (these do roll over to MP2):

• 3+ credits: Nicole, octavia, persephone, xwing37
  • 2 credits: abuzz, ahayo, aplitstudent, bunkymoo, Carla Tortelli, MangoMan, savhoisington, SnowyYeti, username27, Delphine
  • 1 credit: AnonymousParrot, stella, Jackson Von Habsburg, A2MOEOM2
Maintenance Points:
  1. The first few times you write, your post may be kept in moderation for my review. After that, posts should publish immediately. I just want to be sure who is posting and the substantive value of the post for people new to the forums!
  2. All posts should now be visible on all AP Lit boards. You should be able to post without problems (if you have a working chisnell.com username!). If this is not the case, please write mesteven.chisnell@royaloakschools.org
  3.  Remember that you must be logged in to post! If you do not see your chisnell.com username in the upper right of the page, you are not logged in and your "anonymous" post will not be approved. Are you one of the people who did not get a post approved? Maybe this was the reason. Contact me!
Notifications
Clear all

Professors? Really?  

RSS

Anonymous
September 19, 2020 7:48 pm  

Has anyone been talking to these professors, yet, in the game?  Have they responded?  I'm a little confused about how this works. ..  

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Steve Chisnell

Persephone
(@persephone)
Topics
September 23, 2020 12:05 pm  

I've personally only spoken with professors through brief email, but nothing with substance really. Although there was an option to ask Prof. Eliot a question in canvas but the due date has since passed, but I think you can still offer a question but it's just less likely he'll respond. I find that when I've passed levels that give you a reward of sorts, Prof. Eliot will explain what it does and such, although I haven't tried asking a question there...

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 1:16 pm  

@persephone Did he seem to help you out/did you learn something important from him? I want reach out to see what information I can pick up, I just have no clue what to ask him about. Do you know if you have to come to him with a more complex theory or is it acceptable to ask simpler questions?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 2:20 pm  

We're still in chapter one so I'm sure they'll be eventual clarification. (we literally just found out the whole premise of the game in Ch.1). @Persephone can you clarify what you mean by levels (points, karma, or something else)? I think that by chapter 2 and beyond, we'll get a good sense of the professors and what we're supposed to do. 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 4:16 pm  

I don't know if this is what the question was referring to, but I asked Matthew Arnold a question. I'm not sure if he is considered a "professor" or not but I thought his response to my question was really good. He not only answered my question but provided me with something more to think about on the topic of historicism.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 25, 2020 11:36 pm  

@stella I think I'm on the same page you are. I know that we are going to be introduced to a new professor in chapter two who is going to stick around more often. What I didn't know is that some of the professors help with the game? I guess thats what I'm getting from reading this thread. I guess only time can tell for me and figuring this out.

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
September 30, 2020 11:09 pm  

I actually didn't ask the professor anything, I did watch the videos but I wasn't entirely sure what to ask if that makes sense? The date is past now so I feel like there wouldn't be a point in me asking anymore. That and I still have no idea what I would say. I did find a lot of his points interesting though..

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 1, 2020 12:16 pm  

@a2m0n2 I asked Professor Arnold a question when we got the opportunity but I haven't spoken to a professor outside of that. I want to, considering a lot of End of Theory is confusing, but I am on the same page where I don't know what to ask. I'm sure I could generate a question if only I knew what types of questions were worthy of asking a professor. I don't know if a question needs to be insightful or even just a simple question on the logistics of the game 

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Intern
October 1, 2020 3:33 pm  

Like @stella said, I also took the opportunity to ask Matthew Arnold a question. At the time, I was new to the class and didn't have a great idea of what historicism actually meant. However, I was able to view the video of Arnold teaching the class and wanted to fire off some questions in response to his theory. He answered me but it sounded like we were do different pages in our understanding of historicism.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Topics
October 1, 2020 4:18 pm  

@aaparrot By levels I mean like modules in canvas. Like I got a good score on a quiz and it unlocked an easter egg of sorts. @a2m0n2 As far as questions go, I asked him a relatively simple question, as did others so I think you can go either way with that. As far as learning stuff.. not really, I received a forum waiver for getting to a certain level on the leaderboard and all he did was explain what it did, nothing of substance really.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Disciple AP Lit 2021
October 23, 2020 5:39 pm  

As an update to my last form post on this topic, I did end up asking the professor a question. I probably over complicated it in my head too much because the other questions I read weren't as difficult as I thought they would be, so that was a relief. I'm actually looking forward to reaching out to the professors now as I wonder how it will help us out throughout the class. 

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking