• 2 Weeks of Credit:  Persephone, Gil, MangoMan
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Delphine, abuzz, Jackson Von, anonymousparrot
Notifications
Clear all

Professors? Really?

Page 1 / 3

Anonymous
Topic starter  

Has anyone been talking to these professors, yet, in the game?  Have they responded?  I'm a little confused about how this works. ..  

This topic was modified 6 months ago by Steve Chisnell

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I've personally only spoken with professors through brief email, but nothing with substance really. Although there was an option to ask Prof. Eliot a question in canvas but the due date has since passed, but I think you can still offer a question but it's just less likely he'll respond. I find that when I've passed levels that give you a reward of sorts, Prof. Eliot will explain what it does and such, although I haven't tried asking a question there...

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone Did he seem to help you out/did you learn something important from him? I want reach out to see what information I can pick up, I just have no clue what to ask him about. Do you know if you have to come to him with a more complex theory or is it acceptable to ask simpler questions?

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

We're still in chapter one so I'm sure they'll be eventual clarification. (we literally just found out the whole premise of the game in Ch.1). @Persephone can you clarify what you mean by levels (points, karma, or something else)? I think that by chapter 2 and beyond, we'll get a good sense of the professors and what we're supposed to do. 

ReplyQuote
stella
(@stella)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I don't know if this is what the question was referring to, but I asked Matthew Arnold a question. I'm not sure if he is considered a "professor" or not but I thought his response to my question was really good. He not only answered my question but provided me with something more to think about on the topic of historicism.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@stella I think I'm on the same page you are. I know that we are going to be introduced to a new professor in chapter two who is going to stick around more often. What I didn't know is that some of the professors help with the game? I guess thats what I'm getting from reading this thread. I guess only time can tell for me and figuring this out.

ReplyQuote
klynnph
(@klynnph)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

I actually didn't ask the professor anything, I did watch the videos but I wasn't entirely sure what to ask if that makes sense? The date is past now so I feel like there wouldn't be a point in me asking anymore. That and I still have no idea what I would say. I did find a lot of his points interesting though..

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 I asked Professor Arnold a question when we got the opportunity but I haven't spoken to a professor outside of that. I want to, considering a lot of End of Theory is confusing, but I am on the same page where I don't know what to ask. I'm sure I could generate a question if only I knew what types of questions were worthy of asking a professor. I don't know if a question needs to be insightful or even just a simple question on the logistics of the game 

ReplyQuote
FRANKLIN
(@gardella)
Disciple AP Lit 2021

Like @stella said, I also took the opportunity to ask Matthew Arnold a question. At the time, I was new to the class and didn't have a great idea of what historicism actually meant. However, I was able to view the video of Arnold teaching the class and wanted to fire off some questions in response to his theory. He answered me but it sounded like we were do different pages in our understanding of historicism.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot By levels I mean like modules in canvas. Like I got a good score on a quiz and it unlocked an easter egg of sorts. @a2m0n2 As far as questions go, I asked him a relatively simple question, as did others so I think you can go either way with that. As far as learning stuff.. not really, I received a forum waiver for getting to a certain level on the leaderboard and all he did was explain what it did, nothing of substance really.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

As an update to my last form post on this topic, I did end up asking the professor a question. I probably over complicated it in my head too much because the other questions I read weren't as difficult as I thought they would be, so that was a relief. I'm actually looking forward to reaching out to the professors now as I wonder how it will help us out throughout the class. 

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Personally, I think the professors are a great addition to our learning. When we get to ask them up close and personal about a topic or a question of our choosing, it allows our minds to really process the ideas they represent and think hard. The professors provide valuable personal insight about their designated subjects, and that provides a variety of answers to a variety of questions that every student asks. I really enjoy it!

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I agree! I like the interactive aspect of it, and the professors often give very detailed answers that I may not have considered before. They also expose us to a certain type of interaction that we probably won't find anywhere else. It also adds to the immersive aspect of the game, allowing us to really feel apart of it and be completely and totally immersed in the concepts we're struggling to grasp.

ReplyQuote
Gil
 Gil
(@gil)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@delphine I agree as well! I think the professors add to the theories. With the professors, you can see where they originate from and thus gives us a better understanding of the theory. I think the short videos of the professors talking to the students provides better clarification and makes the theories more "relatable". The questions that the students in the video ask are usually questions I am wondering as well! So far, which theory does everyone agree with the most? Agree with the least?

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington - I feel very similarly. So much of this end of theory stuff is so new and hard to wrap my head around that I struggle every chapter to condense my thoughts into a singular question to ask the professors. There are so many different things to ask that I often find myself wondering if I asked the right thing or if my question is even asking the right thing. Hopefully as we work more with these theories, the understanding of them will come much easier.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking