Notifications
Clear all

Leaving the Marginalia

Page 4 / 5

Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia Maybe a way to prove yourself? An initiation of sorts? Could be something interesting and add a more intricate and complicated aspect to the game...

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia, I've been really hoping that a war would happen but the amount of time for it to happen is getting very small. We were informed today that chapter 15 is the last legitimate chapter and there's one more after that but that's just to finish up the gameplay. So we really only have about two more chapters max for a war to break loose. It would be a fun way to get everyone involved and to end off the year.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

I think so too! When Mr. Chisnell mentioned that chapter 16 would be mostly focused on game play, I wondered what this would entail. I think this would be too late in the game for a war to begin, but I wonder if a "winner" will be announced or if there will be more information about the game revealed. I am excited to find out and excited to know that there's an entire chapter set aside to the game's ending.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I have been thinking about whether a single winner will be declared or factions will be declared winners. This has seemed like a pretty steady balance between a team and a solo game so I'm just not sure. I think a solo winner would throw away the whole point of the factions and I think a team winning would cover up players who played super well. It's honestly a 50 50 shot on how the game is going to end.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@xwing37 To add on to your idea of a 'winner' what if there isn't a winner. This has always been in the back of my mind and I think that it might be a real thing. I mean I definitely want to see a full on connection of ideas and one faction standing on top but I just feel as though there wasn't a lot of game participation to make it this way. I could be totally wrong but that's just what I believe. To hear it's coming to an end though is kind of sad s I will miss watching those short little videos in the beginning of each chapter, they shared good information and were quite funny to watch.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 maybe the aim of the game isn't to win but realize something.  I don't really have a full answer for you now but what if this new understanding comes only when finishing the game?  I think we will learn a lot more in may.

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 The idea of a winner of this game never came into my mind, to be honest. I always thought we would just all kind of reach the same ending, an understanding or idea that the game wanted us to learn. But, maybe there is a winner. It's all very interesting to think about.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia The game was designed with the intention to expand our thinking so I don't think there will be some sort of prize. Rather, the prize is the learning itself since you'll walk out with a more mature perspective on literature/philosophy. Regardless, we are nearing the end of this class so all things will come in due time. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@aaparrot I guess the game was meant to expand our thinking, but what is the point of opposite sides, and choosing a side. Why would we have this choice of choosing and switching, if there wasn't supposed to be some sort of end goal for at least one of the factions?

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@bunkymoo Maybe the end goal for each group is the examination and understanding of what they each believed in, and how that turned out for them. I know that we understand the goals of the Guardians and the goals of the Marginalia, but maybe there is more to it. Or, maybe, there will be an ending to the storyline that declares some sort of winner and does so in hopes of bringing a new understanding to the players and groups and understanding the meaning behind our actions. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot Are you suggesting that the prize is a better understanding of thinking? that sounds confusing now that I say it, but then what is the point in playing? I see that it is meant to help us in the long run, but an incentive would be nice yes?  I have committed to the game prize or not, but even if the "prize" isn't physical I would hope there is some sort of satisfaction from doing something like this, or it kills the motivation to do something similar again.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 Like I previously stated, I am simply hoping for some sort of closure. What happens why is happened and what we did to make it happen?  If this were a game of chess I simply feel like a pawn, I've done some things to help the larger goal right? but I want to make it to the other side, become a stronger piece, and understand why it happened and why the steps I took mattered.  This is just how I feel.

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo It's simply a layer of a game. Being on one side gives players the ability to choose and to impact the game. That's what it makes it more interactive. It also is to show how limiting one side may be. The best way to learn is immerse yourself which is what this game is doing. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 An end of year eruption of chaos could result in some super fun and non-stressful gameplay! I wonder if Chisnell has something similar to this planned for the rest of the year...only time will tell.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@mangoman I also want some sort of ending or result to happen. Maybe there is some twist or plot to the story line? I think this would be a cool way to end the year, and it might call some attention to the gameplay. 

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking