Notifications
Clear all

Leaving the Marginalia

Page 3 / 5

MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I've already talked about this in another kind of way, but I feel like the choice to change sides is almost cheating.  I don't want to be the one who collects names of one side and then changes teams with all this info and puts the marginalia at a deficit.  Something to keep in mind though is that we recently were subtly told the guardians may be at risk of "losing".  Maybe the marginalia getting this disadvantage is the games way of balancing the teams.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@mangoman Just as some insight, the Guardians were also given the same choice to switch and join the Marginalia. So, I am not so sure that this was an attempt at evening out the groups or making it fair once again. I wonder about the warning and the Guardians possibly losing and if there will be an effort to prolong the game if this could be something happening the near future.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@mangoman - I hadn't thought about it that way. As someone who didn't switch sides, I guess I didn't think about the advantages or disadvantages the factions might have as people join them. If people left either faction, it puts the departed faction at risk for getting lucrative info exposed and the new faction access to this information. I guess it just depends on how many people actually switched to see if any actual damage will be done.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27, I just realized this. If someone switched over they could potentially know what one side is planning and that could really mess up either faction. I think we will find out soon if people changing factions actually had any harm on either faction. But this is very interesting and this is the first time I've actually thought of the repercussions of it.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@xwing37 - I think that we will find this out very soon. We haven't really seen the results of chapter 12 yet as the emergency week is ending tomorrow and this was the first two weeks after all of faction switches. It will be interesting to see what people did with this new knowledge throughout chapter 12. I am also excited to see what happens in the next few chapters as people get aquatinted in the factions again.

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Honestly I don't think we will see much change in regards to the 1:1 ratio, and if so I feel like it will be small. That being said, we should be cautious in regards to who we reveal our identities too as well as the defense items we carry. Moreover, I know a lot of people were concerned with a sort of war breaking out at the end of the game, so we should prepare for that as well...

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone A war breaking out would be very interesting. I'm not sure if that would happen, but if it did, it would be cool for sure. We've all been so cautious and quiet when it comes to attacking and defending authors and engaging in gameplay, so a war might be unexpected but interesting nonetheless. 

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia, I personally believe that Chisnell is going to provoke a war between the two factions. If the gameplay was normal I think a war would automatically happen but since there's very little attacking/defending I think he will make us fight. He will probably provide some sort of incentive or quota that forces us to attack/defend in some way. I hope he does this because I think it would be super interesting if there was an all out war.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 I would like a war too! Hopefully people have become more interested in buying items from the marketplace to prepare for this. I would definitely like to know which faction will come out on top at the end of this year, and I feel that with how little attacks there have been, a war would be a perfect way to do this. 

ReplyQuote
Delphine
(@delphine)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I'm glad you brought that up. Who are we to decide if another member may betray their side and feed information to the other? I used to be pro-side changing, but considering this idea I'm no longer so sure... this seems like some serious sabotage could ensue...

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I wouldn't mind one to be honest. I've only seen a handful of people actually but items though so we'll see if that has any impact on the outcome. I feel like though since the western canon was posted, we should start seeing some more action. I would be surprised if things stay the way they are in the next couple of weeks.  

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@delphine This is a great point to bring up. I also was very pro side changing, but thinking about betrayal and feeding information back and forth now changes that a bit. I'm sure that if we were allowed to switch sides, there must be some kind of limitation or rule to prevent such things, but who knows?

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 A war would be very cool to be honest. We would get to see participation from most people of both sides and it would enhance gameplay and show people's true colors. Definitely something to spice up gameplay.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@octavia Definitely! I think it would also shed some light on who a clear winner is or who is in the lead. I personally would prefer if this was the way our class ended, rather than the two groups continuing to look even as they have. I think having one group in clear lead over the other would inspire more game play as well, because the threat of losing and the excitement of the winning would feel near and would be on the line. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

@octavia honestly that's not a bad guess. I was thinking about doing it myself for the same reason, but I decided not to because I figured there was no point to it. If there was no advantage or reason I should switch, then what would be the point. Also, I wanted to stay with a bigger group just in case the game forced the sides against each other or something.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking