Clear all

Leaving the Marginalia

Page 1 / 5

username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

As I was working on my Chapter 11 stuff today, I noticed a survey that asks us if we would like to leave the marginalia and come back to the guardians. This is a plot twist I did not see coming. I thought that we would stay this way the whole year, but I guess with this class anythings possible. I just want to know your guys's thoughts on leaving the marginalia and maybe even reasons why this even would become an option. The survey said that you don't automatically get back in with the guardians and that you had to try. I am not sure what this means, so I am interested to hear your thoughts!

xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

I saw this too and I thought it was rather interesting! I feel like it was weird since we've been talking about there potentially being traitors in other forums. I can't tell if this was something planned within the game or if Mr Chisnell saw us talking about it and decided to make it real. I've been trying to think about why someone would decide to switch back and I just can't put my finger on it. I feel like there has to be a reward or something because I wouldn't see any other point. I think another thing that's rather strange is that it isn't a guarantee that you get in. I noticed something about faction leaders on canvas a while ago and I was thinking that maybe the faction leader is the one who decides whether or not to let you into their faction. I think this has a lot of potential and I'm excited to see what comes next.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37  I feel like some people will want to switch just to switch.  Get a change of pace you know?  Maybe they were bored with the marginalia so they thought eh ill go to a new faction.  I was wondering the same thing, if chisnell is just making this game up as we go along or if this was all a plan and he hoped we would talk about another faction.  

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti I think that Chisnell loves mind games too much to just float along, making decisions along the way to decide the direction EOT goes in. There are a LOT of working components at play in EOT, as i am sure we all have experienced,  so I think this would be very overwhelming to Chisnell if he was playing it step by step. That being said, with everything going on, there has to be an end result, right? like a purpose? Maybe it is just to teach us in an engaging way but I feel like there is more, especially with 'sides'/ factions having such an important role to the point where we have gotten several chances to switch

ReplyQuote
savhoisington
(@savhoisington)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti Secondly, I agree that people may want to switch just to switch. I think I could see wanting a change or having a curiosity to the videos/ storylines to the opposing factions. But also, I think many people will stay loyal. I think its almost 3/4 through the year so people may have gotten comfortable in their factions? It's hard to say, but I'm curious about what the ratio will be after chapter 11 is up and decisions have been made. it was 50/50 about, so not adding the noemata and the option to change sides, I am very curious

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@snowyyeti I think this is most likely the main reason people would decide to flip sides. People have spent most of the year on one side, and I personally have some curiosity about the other side's experiences so I could absolutely see this leading someone to want to switch. However, I can also see people wanting to stay out of fear of repercussions. Nothing happens in this class without a meaning or consequence. I think that there is something that must come out of being a traitor that could be negative or positive, but definitely some sort of consequence for making that choice.

ReplyQuote
ahayo
(@alechayosh07)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Veteran

Switching sides is interesting when it comes to the information you already know and the story you have been following. I understand the claims that multiple people have made about being on one side for half a year and want to experience the other. For me I'm going with the ride or die situation, I'm staying where I am to see what happens. Earlier this week I found out the Nomata existed which is kind of funny, and from my understanding it's just an option out of the game? I'm curious to see how they will progress and if they might get worked back into the story line. 

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@alechayosh07 I feel like switching sides would almost be unfair.  I don't see this as a possibility because of the info we already know.  I don't think leaving would be an option, and if it was I don't know why a member would switch.  I feel like we have been so locked in to the way we are doing things that it wouldn't make sense to switch.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti, I have a feeling that he's making up the game as we go along. I feel like the game can't run like normal because we haven't had a normal school year. I also feel like he's brought in some of the random ideas that we have talked about which would be a big coincidence. I think we will have to see but I just feel like this game couldn't have been played as it normally would so maybe it has just been changing as we move on.

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I switched up my faction to see what it was all about. I haven't been too into the game part recently and thought it be a nice change. I haven't really picked up much from the game aspect, but not a lot of people joined the new faction. When finding new traids it was a bit difficult so I ended up changing back. I didn't see much of a difference but again I'm not really to focused on the game aspect. I wouldn't be surprised if Mr. Chisnell wanted to mix it up a bit, plot twists are a usual occurrence in this class.  

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington That is really true. There are so many dynamics to the game and most likely more to come throughout the ending school year. The switching in faction may not have held a reward, but will possibly come down to a butterfly effect of sorts. Down the line there might be some curve in the plot depending on what you chose. All of our choices most likely relate to the next choice, each option we pick will have a contributing factor to our overall game end result. I think its a pretty cool and, as you said, elaborate way to spice up this AP work throughout the year. 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@savhoisington Yea switching just to see what happens is probably what most did. The choices everyone made will most definitely have an impact or two as the game moves forward. It seem to me from the leaderboard most people who switched ultimately returned to their original faction. I'm just wondering why most returned back? I returned because of my traid situation but what drove them away from this new and fresh faction? 

ReplyQuote
Carla Tortelli
(@carlatortelli)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 The decision to switch factions had to be difficult depending on the person. I saw it as a sort of way out of the game, but with the traid situation it was more beneficial to get back in. Debating what would happen when you switch out kinda sucks because you know that when it comes to this class anything could happen. Each choice will have its own accompanying consequence or benefit. Those twists and turns allow us to play the game with interest so these choices can be a nice refresher from the AP work.  

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I think this as well. It seems like there have been a couple decisions that wouldn't have occurred if we were attending school normally. I think it spices the game up a bit and makes it more interesting, though. I'm excited to see how this plays out, especially with the different factions and people switching sides now.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@octavia - I agree. I think there are some curveballs thrown in there especially since we have not been in in-person school. I am most worried about what this will do the triads...again. So many triads broke as the noemata were introduced and this might happen again. Will triads be allowed to stay together or do we all still have to be in the same faction?

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking