Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  January 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole, Carla Tortelli, Persephone
  • 2 Weeks of Credit: ---
  • 1 Week of Credit:  abuzz,  aplitstudent123. MangoMan

Posts during the midterm week will count as extra credit on whichever semester they impact most.

Notifications
Clear all

Guardian vs Marginallia Authors  

Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

What do you guys think is the difference between an author who sides with the cannon and goes against it I have been having trouble figuring out what the author makes you a cannon author and what doesn't. I think we have so many ways to determine what a cannon author. I say this because Arnold and Eliot both had different takes on what exactly a cannon author was so i don't really know what the author universally a cannon or a marginalia author 

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Honestly I have the same question as you here... I have problems trying to figure out what makes an author canon or not, like is it purely based on influence? Or does it boil down to their beliefs and teaching as well? Moreover, is there such thing as an evil or marginalia author? And if so, what role would they play in terms of helping the marginalia?

ReplyQuote
abuzz
(@abuzz)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone I think beliefs play a large factor in determining whether an author would side with the guardians or the marginalia. I see the guardians as more traditional and fixed to a set of views regarding how literature should be interpreted and what should be taught. With the professors teaching their own ideals, it almost seems like a "bloodline" through generations, but in a literary sense. The ideas are being passed down and more constricted. The Marginalia, however, seems to be more of a progressive "rebel" group to which authors who have an open mindset to teaching and that is their influence.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@abuzz I really like the way you described the difference between these two groups of authors. I completely see where you're coming from when you describe the Guardian group of authors as being a part of a "bloodline". This is a really interesting way to describe it because I think of a bloodline as an older way of choosing who is in power, more traditional in a sense. Whereas the marginalia represent a more "rebellious" and new wave of thinking.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone, I think that it depends on their belief system. I would assume that an author who sides with the guardians may follow a more structured and well known system. And maybe the marginalia authors tend to follow beliefs that are less well known and less credible. This is just a guess though, but I'm sure we will find out at some point this year what the real reason is.

ReplyQuote
MangoMan
(@mangoman)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 Very good point.  The guardians seem to stick with authors that we talk about more and we see being defended more.  I see the attacks on the lesser known authors with less written pieces to attack.

ReplyQuote
Anonymous Parrot
(@aaparrot)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Intern

@abuzz I think thats the most plausible explanation. There isn't inherently an evil or good side, just two sides with varying perspectives on the state of literature. 

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot I agree. Its like most debatable topics where there is a side that you are on, but some person might be against that side. It's all up to preference and beliefs that you have. I personally went into this game not really knowing anything, so I picked a side with knowing little information. If I had more info, maybe my decision could be swayed toward a different side.  

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo, I went into the game and picked a random side and didn't really know what it meant. I'm not sure if my decision would be changed now, but it is much more clear that each side follows a system of beliefs that varies from the others. At first I thought that one side was good and the other side was bad but I've now realized that they just disagree with each other. This game is super interesting because I feel like I learn more and more about what's going on the longer it goes, I'm excited to see what comes next.

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 - I too, randomly picked a side and only saw them as "good" or "bad". I like the way you put it as that the two sides just have differing perspectives and different goal in regards to literature. I think something can be learned from both the Guardians and the Marginalia in terms of the way they view literature and all of the theories that surround it. I am also very interested as to where this game story will take us next and excited to see what else can be learned from these differing sides.

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@username27 after watching and learning about the game more, I too found different goals in terms of how they view literature. I don't know why I didn't research ity more in the beginning, but I blame that on my lack of knowledge about the subject. I think both sides have good arguments, and they are both individual in their own way. I wonder what the ned of the story will bring for the two sides. I feel like the story has a trick or two up its sleeve.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@aplitstudent123 I agree that guardians are the older way of interpreting literature and that the more modern way of viewing the world. I do agree that it is a matter of interpretation on which one is actually correct. Personally, I feel more attached to the traditional school of thought. except that doesn't mean that the modern school of thought is bad I think it is interesting that all of us have such nuanced opinions in in the fourms

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@jacksonvon I also lean towards the more traditional side as well. I think there is value in following tradition and values that have been important for a long time. However, I can relate and understand the appeal of the modern way. it provides a new outlook, and a new way of thinking. This is important because it allows people to move forward and create new ideas outside of the old traditional ways.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I also tend to follow a more traditional way of literature. But I do understand the modern way of thinking. I think change is very important with everything. I believe everything has to undergo change, which could potentially lead to a better and more credible literature.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking