Clear all

Defence of Authors

Page 6 / 6

Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Posted by: @aplitstudent123

I personally am not sure why a person would choose to be a traitor. As of now, it is not like one faction is visibly doing much better than another

I'd have to agree with this. I feel like the only way a person would decide to switch sides or be a traitor (if it's even possible to switch sides again), would be if there were a clear advantage on one side, or if perhaps they've decided they agree with the opposing sides ideology more the longer the semester drags on. It's not like there would be much consequence for this either, because there is no retaliation coming from the guardians as of right now..

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@persephone Your point about switching because of a clear advantage is interesting to me because up to this point, I haven't seen anything that would be reason enough to push me to switch. I think that you are right about possibly agreeing with the other group more, but I still feel like becoming a traitor would be a big risk right now especially seeing as at consequences are still unknown.

ReplyQuote
SnowyYeti
(@snowyyeti)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123 I think that there are definitely times when people just want to go to the winning side or the side that doesn't do as much so I think that those would be clear advantages to switching sides. I also think that some people are daredevils and want to test out their skills for real so maybe they would want to go to the dark side

ReplyQuote
chizisqueen
(@aaparrot)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@snowyyeti Is there really a winning side though? I mean, neither side has done much except launch like 1 or 2 attacks/defenses. Besides, what would be the point of a game that is based around consequences if you could just get out of it by switching sides? I think the game is fine as it is, it just lacks willing players that's all. 

ReplyQuote
username27
(@username27)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aaparrot - I don't think that a winning side is the point of the clashing groups. Sure, there is a competitive element as it is a game, but it seems like the purpose of these groups together is to help us as we navigate the game and to keep things organized. I agree about the part about lacking willing players. I think it would definitely be more fun if people participated more.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@aaparrot At this point I don't really think there is a clear winning side. If I were given a clean slate and the choice to pick a side, I am not sure which I would pick if I was deciding based on which side was winning so far. I am not sure if this would be different in past years with more participation. In the beginning of the game we did not know everyone's identities which made it much more difficult. However, now that we know everyone's factions, there would be an opportunity to determine who is ahead but I don't think a clear winning side has emerged and I'm not sure if one will.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo, I feel like it would be super interesting if one side got heavily outnumbered. I think they would kill of the minority side and then most likely divide again. I think it would be quite hard to keep a large group like that together, especially if Chisnell proposed a deal that some people couldn't turn down. This is an interesting concept though.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 Your idea here is interesting. I wonder if something like this happened where one group heavily outweigh another, if there would be something proposed to players as an incentive to switch sides. This would be significant in showing where people's loyalty really lies and what they would be willing to do to better themselves, or better their group. 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

As far as "winning sides" go I've been wondering how cool it would be if at the very end the guardians banded together and took the marginalia out in a matter of like days... That being said, they might be thinking the same thing, i.e a large scale attack. Although, there is a survey at the end of chapter 11 that asks if you want to join the marginalia, and its worded in a way like "things aren't looking good for the guardians..." which makes me a little bit uneasy. What're your guys thoughts on this?

ReplyQuote
Page 6 / 6
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking