Forums

Dialogue is Action

Last Post Update:  Feb 16

Post Credits:

• 3+ Weeks of Credit: xwing37, Nicole
  • 2 Weeks of Credit:  aplitstudent123, Persephone
  • 1 Week of Credit:  Carla Tortelli, Delphine, abuzz, The Boulder, Nikki, octavia, Snowy Yeti, Gil, Jackson Von, MangoMan, savhoisington

Notifications
Clear all

Defence of Authors

Page 4 / 5

a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@persephone thats one of the reasons I've been so diligent at responding to any of the attacks on the authors. I worked super hard for all my points and the things that I have obtained from this class that I don't want it wasted on a failed attempt at helping an author. I don't know exactly what to do in this situation. Maybe i'll try an attack and see how it goes!

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@a2m0n2 I feel the same. I wish we had more info on how these attacks truly affect us, because I've been very hesitant to engage in any of this activity because of the hard work I'm scared I might lose. It might spice up the storyline a little bit, but it's also kind of anxiety inducing.

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia I think someone just has to die and share that info. I doubt it's anything particularly meaningful, but the unknown is always so incredibly alluring. In fact, if people start actively trying to die and start doing more duels or whatever, it could be mutually beneficial as one side sees the hidden path and the other gets more action in the game.

ReplyQuote
xwing37
(@xwing37)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@aplitstudent123, I honestly think that nothing happens. I just don't really think that you would be part of the game anymore. So I think it's important to be smart and stay in the game so we can find out more information. Or like you said you could learn everything about the game as long as you don't tell anyone else. Another possibility is that you can be a spectator to both sides which would kind of be cool.

ReplyQuote
aplitstudent123
(@aplitstudent123)
Bookworm
Topics

@xwing37 I think that being a spectator to both sides would be really cool. That way we could watch over what everyone else is doing on both sides and how they make their decisions. I am personally curios about the experience in the other faction than I am in, so that would be really interesting for me.

ReplyQuote
a2m0e0m2
(@a2m0n2)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@xwing37 I wonder if anyone who has left the game will clue us in to what it is being out of the 2 main groups. Did they gain anything or are they regretting their choice? Do they know where everyone falls now group wise? I feel like maybe this week or the first week of semester 2 we might find out more about this... but idk. It was left really eerie in a way, definitely making it seem like a really big gamble whether it would truly pay off or hurt the player. Guess we will see! I hope he does more twists like that because I enjoyed it. 

ReplyQuote
 Anonymous

I think a lot of the point of the different factions is to try and leave one group in the dark as to what the other groups are doing, in order to promote speculation and discussion. By making people choose sides, there is an atmosphere of "what are the other people doing" that I think is supposed to encourage new ideas.

ReplyQuote
Jackson Von Habsburg
(@jacksonvon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics
Topic starter  

@xwing37 something to think about is that we need to is that the marginalia is killing off a lot of authors so this is something important to come and consider when we are thinking about killing them off. also what we need to think about is the fact they are as many members of the marginalia. so I don't think that we can be too picky on whether we kill off the members of the marginalia or not because it seems like it is only hurting our cause

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@leinweber The aspect of speculation is definitely keeping this whole "war" alive. I feel like it honestly motivates us to keep doing what we're doing. I wonder if this motivation will keep going even if we did know what the other side is doing. 

ReplyQuote
Persephone
(@persephone)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

Honestly the idea of a hidden story line upon death seems somewhat strange to me. I think it's definitely a possibility but that being said I don't think it is worth purposefully dying for, especially considering we don't even know if it exists or not. Moreover like what @jacksonvon was saying, there's a lot going on in the forefront like the death of authors that we haven't really addressed... Isn't that worthy of some type of punishment?

ReplyQuote
bunkymoo
(@bunkymoo)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021

I wish there was a way to gain items from killing people. Maybe you gain there items when you kill them. I feel like this would be such a good way to make people play. If someone has a free forum week, then it can be lost due to battle.I think this is an interesting concept, and maybe this semester something like that can be implemented!

ReplyQuote
octavia
(@octavia)
Bookworm AP Lit 2021
Topics

@bunkymoo That would be so cool if we could gain items from people. I feel like it would give more people an incentive to engage in gameplay and make things a lot more interesting. I think a lot of people are too scared to attack because of losing points. But, if there was an incentive such as gaining items from these killings, it would make it more entertaining. 

ReplyQuote
wildsalmon
(@salmon)
Gnome AP Lit 2021
Topics

@octavia Definitely, it's a good idea. Game design is pretty simple if you break it down, so taking a risk is definitely more viable of an option if there's a reward offered. The only problem is the risk is pretty vague. Since we don't know what happens when you die, it's hard to know how much you want to avoid it. For the most part though, I guess it's just a simple "avoid number going down" mentality. The item gain would be such a turn around, and would probably liven things up a bit.

ReplyQuote
Steve Chisnell
(@schisnell)
The Teacher Admin
Topics
Sith Lord

The Combat rules do suggest that if you cause serious injury (or death) to your opponent, you may steal one or more of his/her items. Kind of like a mugging . . . ? 

Some things, like skills, cannot be stolen, but a Forum Waiver?  Absolutely!

ReplyQuote
Steve Chisnell
(@schisnell)
The Teacher Admin
Topics
Sith Lord

The Combat rules do suggest that if you cause serious injury (or death) to your opponent, you may steal one or more of his/her items. Kind of like a mugging . . . ? 

Some things, like skills, cannot be stolen, but a Forum Waiver?  Absolutely!

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share:

Forum Reminders:

• Only Substantive Posts earn credit.
  • Five posts/week earn 100% for that week.
  • Deadlines are Fridays at 11:59 pm.
  • Any single week can earn up to 150%:
    • Six posts = 120%
    • Seven posts = 140%
    • Eight posts = 150%
    • Nine posts = 150%, etc.
  • One successful podcast replaces 5 posts.

Substantive Posts:

• Are usually several thoughtful sentences in length:
    • Demonstrate that reading was done or a concept is understood
      • Might quote text
    • Express a thoughtful idea about that concept/reading
    • May be questions, but if so, also speculations
  • Are constructive and productive to the discussion
  • Are supportive of other members and their ideas
  • May/should challenge/provoke/take risks in thinking